PDA

View Full Version : New Honda owner

400exbullet
09-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Hey everyone! I picked up my 07 400ex from a friend a couple weeks ago and have been impressed so far. The quad had maybe 10hrs of ride time on it when I purchased it and it had been sitting in a shop for over a year without being ridden. Luckily my friend stored it properly so all I had to do when I got it was install a new sparkplug and change the oil. Overall I like the quad but the black plastic sucks. Any little scratch in the fenders stick out like a sore thumb. Also this thing was stubborn to get into reverse when the motor was cool so I changed the pilot jet from the stock 38 to a 42 and that helped alot. I took the airbox lid off and bumped the jetting up some and that gave a nice little boost in power. I plan to get a full exhaust system here soon and an 11:1 compression piston and stage 2 cam. I am not a newbie when it comes to sport quads. I had an 06 KFX 400 before this quad and I regrettfully sold it and got the itch again so here I am. For $2500 I think I got a good deal. It's also nice getting one bone stock.
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/Dale06_photo/IMG_0225.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/Dale06_photo/IMG_0224-1.jpg
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/Dale06_photo/IMG_0223-2.jpg

400exbullet
09-12-2010, 08:55 AM
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/Dale06_photo/IMG_0222-1.jpg

Honda#4
09-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Welcome to the site! and the info it has. Ur quad looks nice and clean, the mesh looking exhaust adds a nice touch.

HondaRacing83
09-12-2010, 09:41 AM
you just got a deal of a lifetime!we bought my 05 for 2500!07's with some ride time on them were goin for like 3400 around here!and,i thought i had a good deal on my 05!it was the cheapest one around so i guess it kinda depends on your area

tri5ron
09-12-2010, 12:10 PM
SMOKIN' GOOD DEAL !
Do the suspension before any motor mods.

Keep the compression at 10.5:1 or lower, and you'll always be able to run straight pump gas, never have a problem, and maintain the time proven reliability.

There's LOTS of decent mods and accessories available for the 400EX.
As long as you don't try to build it into a "450r killer", (which it will never be ANYWAY), you will have a near bullet-proof bike that will last for more years than you can imagine.

welcome to the forums.

400exbullet
09-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the compliments everyone. One reason I got this quad so cheap is that in my area everyone thinks the 400 class quads are slow. Which they are slower than the bigger bore quads but it's easy to get one with low hours for a bangin good price and slow is a personal opinion. Yea I could have paid $500 more for an 04 YFZ 450 that another friend has but I wanted the reliability this Honda provides and though the 450 didn't look bad, I knew it had been ridden more and harder than this one has. It's pretty cool to have owned the KFX 400 and now this 400ex to compare the flaws between both quads. I thought the stainless mesh on the exhaust was a nice touch also. My friend put that on right after buying the quad new. I felt like this quad was a little under geared from the factory so I bumped the countershaft sprocket up from the 14t to a 15t since I mostly ride in flat terrain and I only weigh around 135lbs. As for suspension mods. Has anyone attempted to install the shocks from a 450r? I see factory take off shocks selling for a decent price but aftermarket shocks are expensive!! I know that an exhaust doesn't really provide a whole lot of power gains but I would like to get the best bang for the buck exhaust. What do you guy's recommend? Thanks! Dale

HondaRacing83
09-12-2010, 01:38 PM
has anyone ever tried 450 shocks?ha!silly little child everyone has!!!!haha you have to grind 1/8 of an inch off the top and they will bolt right on!and best bang for your buck would be the lexx mxe its a slip on but its only $200,i would personally save up and get a two brother or CSR or fmf

honda400ex2003
09-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Welcome to the site! great one to be on, do lots of reading in the sticky section up above. steve

400exbullet
09-12-2010, 01:49 PM
:D What a funny guy you are haha. Glad to hear with a little grinding I can make them fit. I already read up on the Lexx pipe and have decided to pass on it. I had a pro circuit Ti-4 slip on on my kfx and loved it so how do the pro circuit pipes perform on the 400ex? Thanks for the help.

400exbullet
09-12-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
Welcome to the site! great one to be on, do lots of reading in the sticky section up above. steve

Yea I searched around a couple different forums before I settled on this one. I like all of the info. I didn't think anyone would ever approve me to post on here though. LoL I've been checking out the sticky and how to section also.

tri5ron
09-12-2010, 01:52 PM
as Steve suggested,
happy reading,...

450 carb vs OEM carb -> http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=409169

Installed the 450r carb and WOW -> http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=143853

My SPAL fan install...LOTS of pics -> http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=391138

Jetting for 450R carb on 400ex -> http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=231507

HOW TO: 450R shocks on 400EX -> http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=187613

Jetting help -> http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=394028

400ex axle locknut removal -> http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=313721

400EX Swingarm Pivot Bolt Removal -> http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=221737

Sparks Key Install ->http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...=sparks+advance

Install Pro Design Kill Switch ->http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=411015

How to pick a Cam->http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=237131

Bearing Carrier Removale->http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...threadid=359350

450R Carb Install->http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthr...rb&pagenumber=1

______

400exbullet
09-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks tri5ron! I just got back from checking out those links. I've looked at them before but somehow managed to overlook the one about installing 450r shocks. Also not trying to kiss butt or anything but your one of the reasons I joined this site. I ran accross a couple of your threads and liked how knowledgeable and creative you were with some of your ideas. I really got a kick out of the thread where you bought the back rack for your daughters quad and it came with the dog bed. LoL

flyboy1294
09-12-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
has anyone ever tried 450 shocks?ha!silly little child everyone has!!!!haha you have to grind 1/8 of an inch off the top and they will bolt right on!and best bang for your buck would be the lexx mxe its a slip on but its only $200,i would personally save up and get a two brother or CSR or fmf

First off, seriously? 'silly little child?' You're what, 12? You shouldn't be calling others 'child' considering that most the members on here are over double your age. Man, I've seen a lot of the stuff you've been posting lately and just held my tongue, but this time you're giving this guy bad advise.

400exbullet, as you may have read in the links Ron supplied, when installing 450r shocks, doing any grinding on the shock whatsoever is a terrible and un-necessary mistake. There is a small nut welded to the underside of the shock mount, you simply knock that off, and sand a small section of the frame and the shock mounts up with no modifications to the shock body. This way, should you decide to sell the quad, the shocks can be sold for their full $250 value. Again, you can read more about this in the links that were provided.

I speak from experience here, btw.

CJM
09-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Yep, cut a small little bit off the upper shock mount (maybe 1/8") and knock the nut off and replace with carriage bolts.

I still cant figure out why people grind the shocks down when you have to cut the frame anyways..

HondaRacing83
09-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294
First off, seriously? 'silly little child?' You're what, 12? You shouldn't be calling others 'child' considering that most the members on here are over double your age. Man, I've seen a lot of the stuff you've been posting lately and just held my tongue, but this time you're giving this guy bad advise.

400exbullet, as you may have read in the links Ron supplied, when installing 450r shocks, doing any grinding on the shock whatsoever is a terrible and un-necessary mistake. There is a small nut welded to the underside of the shock mount, you simply knock that off, and sand a small section of the frame and the shock mounts up with no modifications to the shock body. This way, should you decide to sell the quad, the shocks can be sold for their full $250 value. Again, you can read more about this in the links that were provided.

I speak from experience here, btw. dude i was jus joking around!and about grinding them ive seen a couple threads where people have done it

flyboy1294
09-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by HondaRacing83
dude i was jus joking around!and about grinding them ive seen a couple threads where people have done it

Regardless, there are more practical ways of installing the shocks without compromising the shock body itself. Now you know.

HondaRacing83
09-12-2010, 03:33 PM
thx

400exbullet
09-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by flyboy1294

I speak from experience here, btw.

Thanks for stating that info. As for what HondaRacing83 said it's fine man. I got a good laugh from that statement. I'm actually 24 so i'm still considered a kid by some people although i'm married with a 1.5 year old little girl.

Ridin04EX
09-12-2010, 05:21 PM
theres hardly any grinding at all to make the 450r shocks fit. it wont compromise anything. they are worth it and are a night and day difference. its definitely a must have if your not wanting to spend big bucks.

tri5ron
09-12-2010, 05:46 PM
Flyboy and CJM are both 100% right, and I completely agree.

Here's the LOoonngggg version of what they are saying....

The BEST way to install them is to do like they said.
Knock off the little spot welded nut on the bottom side of the upper shouk mount.
It is BARELY tack welded on, and comes right off with a small chisle, and two medium pops with a ball peen hammer. There is litterely NO harm done, and NO compromise of structural integrity to the shock mount.
Next, you use a small rotory file, and grind SO LITTLE off, that if you take your time and are careful, you CAN NOT even tell it's been ground.
We're talking the grind area, is actually SMALLER than the diameter of a pencil eraser.

Yes, this is from my own experience. Yes, this is the way I choose to do mine. Yes, I am 100% confident that it is just as strong as before the grind. and Yes, I feel qualified to say so, seeing that I have nearly 30 years experience in Aircraft Structural Repairs/ Modifications, and Quality Control.

If the FAA is willing to trust, that I am qualified to make the final decisions, and grant a Certificate of Flight Worthiness, (FAA form 8130-3), on a DC-10, or MD-11, that we have just cut 50+' of wing off, and spliced in a new wing, on which, my Repair Crew and I, fly on that same aircraft back home from China,......
(yeah, been there, done that,...on a few different occaisions)...

Then I'm fairly sure I can make intelligent choices for a shock mount mod, on a ATV. LOL!

Although some people HAVE ground the shock bodies, to get the clearance, I COMPLETELY disagree with that method.
(This, specifically in refference to the Honda 450r shocks),
There simply is NO NEED to do this.

This may, or may not, apply to OTHER brands of OEM shocks, that have been sucessfully used, on the 400EX.
I have not installed Other Brands/models, on my quad.

Once the grind has been made, then you simply use a 1" long, 1/4" diameter, Carraige bolt, installed upside down, with the head of the Carraige bolt in the "channel" of the upper shock mount, up through the fender support, and use a nylock nut on top.

There,... your Done,...
and you have a CLEAN installation, with no significant compromise to either the upper shock mount, OR the shock body itself.

DAMN !,
that was ALOT of typing !
I think I need to go get a beer now !

400exbullet
09-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks for clearing everything up for me everyone. I will be searching for a set of used ones in the classifieds and on ebay. After I get done with that i'm gonna work on the cooling system. I can really tell that the motor get's hott so i'll be installing a bigger oil cooler and fan to help out with these hot summers around here. Then I may upgrade the tires and wheels. I'm thinking about a set of black and chrome wheels with some maxxis razr tires. I had the holeshot mx6's on my kfx and wasn't too impressed with the tread wear although i'm pretty hard on a set of tires. I'm not in a big hurry to get all of that though. I have to split my mod money between the four wheeler and my mustang so I gotta be carefull and not make the wife mad. :D

hondanator
09-13-2010, 06:56 PM
i have a lexx exhaust. i like it alot

250ex_dan
09-13-2010, 07:13 PM
DAMN !,
I think I need to go get a beer now ! [/B][/QUOTE]

:chinese: hahhaLOL:) that was funny@!

tri5ron
09-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by 250ex_dan
DAMN !,
I think I need to go get a beer now !

:chinese: hahhaLOL:) that was funny@! [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't think of it as funny.
Rather,... think of it as, Experienced Knowledge.
It is simply knowledege, that you can pass onto others, in the future.

Flyboy, and CJM said it first.
I just filled in the specific's.

400exbullet
09-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by hondanator
i have a lexx exhaust. i like it alot

Do you have problems with the mid pipe leaking on your exhaust? That's one reason I took i off my list, was alot of complaints about fitment issues.

hondanator
09-14-2010, 04:27 PM
not that ive noticed. i'll have to take a look tomorrow. it was on my quad when i bought it.

400exbullet
09-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Ok From searching around on youtube that lexx exhaust doesn't look bad and it sounds pretty good. I'll be moving to Oregon next year so I also need to get an exhaust that isn't overly loud and has a spark arrestor.

hondanator
09-15-2010, 09:01 PM
sorry i forgot to look at it tonight but yeah its quiet with the spark arrestor

400exbullet
09-15-2010, 09:37 PM
No problem. Thanks for the replies.

440ex. ehhh!!
09-16-2010, 01:21 PM
as for exhaust, ive seen a LOT of money spent on them while racing flattrack, and some of them sounded REALLY mean, but since buying my 05 450r on sunday, i think the HMF full system sounds better and is louder. once i actually got to hear it from a distance when i told my dad to ride it around, he was like half mile away and it was nasty loud. as for the HMF's on 400exs im not too sure.
heres a pic of the system i have, just the basic HMF i think.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae357/josh440ex/ATVing/sspx0229.jpg

And of course all this is just my opinion.

Josh

spurrinit
09-21-2010, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by 400exbullet
[B]Hey everyone! I picked up my 07 400ex from a friend a couple weeks ago and have been impressed so far. The quad had maybe 10hrs of ride time on it when I purchased it and it had been sitting in a shop for over a year without being ridden. Luckily my friend stored it properly so all I had to do when I got it was install a new sparkplug and change the oil. Overall I like the quad but the black plastic sucks. Any little scratch in the fenders stick out like a sore thumb. Also this thing was stubborn to get into reverse when the motor was cool so I changed the pilot jet from the stock 38 to a 42 and that helped alot. I took the airbox lid off and bumped the jetting up some and that gave a nice little boost in power. I plan to get a full exhaust system here soon and an 11:1 compression piston and stage 2 cam. I am not a newbie when it comes to sport quads. I had an 06 KFX 400 before this quad and I regrettfully sold it and got the itch again so here I am. For $2500 I think I got a good deal. It's also nice getting one bone stock.
When you changed to the 42 jet did you have to adjust the f/a screw or did you just leave it at the factory setting?

I have the exact same bike as you that is completely stock and had maybe 10 hours on it when I bought it. It doesn't really want to idle when I first start it until it is warmed up. I have read that I need to change to a 42 pilot. Was this pretty easy to do and were the results worth changing? thanks for your help.

400exbullet
09-21-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by spurrinit
When you changed to the 42 jet did you have to adjust the f/a screw or did you just leave it at the factory setting?

I have the exact same bike as you that is completely stock and had maybe 10 hours on it when I bought it. It doesn't really want to idle when I first start it until it is warmed up. I have read that I need to change to a 42 pilot. Was this pretty easy to do and were the results worth changing? thanks for your help.

I didn't adjust have to adjust the fuel air screw any. As for difficulty it's a simple job that only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish to complete for someone that hasn't done this before. The results were worth the time and $4 I spent on the new jet. I don't have to use the choke anymore in 95 degree weather and the hot starts have improved also. If you are unsure which jet is the pilot jet i'll dig up a pic somewhere to point out which one to change. I also bought some bigger main jet's while I had the carb apart and increased the 148 main to a 155 and removed the airbox lid, it's a nice little bump in mid range power that your seat of the pants dyno will notice.