PDA

View Full Version : Dowel Pin placement

flyboy1294
09-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Need help from any of you guys that have either just put together a 400ex engine, or can recall what the inside looks like from memory.

I'm putting an engine together, and I have one left over dowel pin. I have taken off both cases and checked, along with the jug, valve cover, etc. Basically everything besides splitting the cases (which I didn't do, so the part should not be from there)

Does anyone know places that I should look to put this dowel?

In the mean time I'll be studying schematics :rolleyes:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/101_0617.jpg
This is compared to a standard sized bolt that you'd find the head/cases for some perspective...
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j245/jerry42633/101_0618.jpg

4reeds
09-11-2010, 01:20 PM
might be where the oil lines go into the bottom of the motor,or for the oil pump

flyboy1294
09-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by 4reeds
might be where the oil lines go into the bottom of the motor,or for the oil pump

It is not for the oil lines, I checked that already. However I will have to look at the oil pump. I did take that out. Is there a dowel inside there or something?

Honda#4
09-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Thats a dowel for the side cases

4reeds
09-11-2010, 03:38 PM
it looks like there is two dowel pins behind the pump and two inside

flyboy1294
09-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
Thats a dowel for the side cases

I would agree, but I have checked the cases 3 times and there were no missing dowels.

I also took the pump out and apart, no problems there either.

So, I don't know. I am reasonably certain it came out of the top end because of the time I took it apart. I'll check again there I guess.

flyboy1294
09-11-2010, 04:05 PM
One more thing, and I hope I can get an answer to this without starting a new thread...

What is the torque value of the bolts and springs holding the clutch plates on?

When I disassembled it the bolts were almost flush with the inner hub, so I tightened it back to that, but it feels way too hard to be right.

My service manual just says 'tighten the bolts in a criss-cross pattern to avoid binding.' For some reason I have 9ft/lbs stuck in my head, but I'm not certain why I think that or if it's even accurate because the bolts have a spring pressing back on them.

Any help would be appreciated.

CJM
09-11-2010, 04:09 PM
I tightened them by hand with a 1/4 drive ratchet till they were snug, steve said thats what he di as did others in another thread.

So far no issues at all and aobut 10 hrs on rebuild.

BlasterEaten250
09-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Looks like one of the two head stud dowels.

Pipeless416
09-11-2010, 05:29 PM
the clutch plates are just supposed to be tightened till "snug." there is no given value.

Foxhound013
09-11-2010, 06:16 PM
I'd think that'd be the guide pin that went into the head after you take the headstay/valvecover off, Im pretty sure there are two for it. Hope I helped.

CJM
09-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Foxhound013
I'd think that'd be the guide pin that went into the head after you take the headstay/valvecover off, Im pretty sure there are two for it. Hope I helped.

I think so as well, either that or the clutch side case.

Foxhound013
09-11-2010, 06:43 PM
I thought he said he'd checked the side cases already, but yeah if you haven't checked your clutch side yet its either from there or the headstay/valvecover.

flyboy1294
09-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I checked both cases a 4th time, and got my clutch tightened to spec (thanks for all the helpful input btw, glad that is straightened out.)

I will check the two pins in the head that were mentioned in the morning, maybe that is my problem.

99400esex
09-12-2010, 08:19 AM
That definitely looks like 1 of the 2 rods that align the head cover.

flyboy1294
09-12-2010, 12:36 PM
It doesn't go in the top end either, I checked the valve cover and headstay.

I am suspicious that the previous owner had this jammed in place of one of the dowels that is suppose to hold the cam bearings in- when I took the head apart I only found one of those, and I did it methodically enough to where I'm certain I did not lose it. He did many small maintenance jobs half-heartedly, this seems like his style.

In any case, I will continue to look for possible placement of this part as the engine is finished. It's definitely been a headache.

jasonwayne222
09-12-2010, 07:26 PM
id bet its one of the cam bearing stays, the dowel pins that go on each end of the cam bearings to keep the bearings from walking off the end of the cam, itll run and you wont even notice until an hour or two after riding and the bearing will walk off the end of the cam and cause all kinds of damage to your valves and piston

ask me how I know!!!

Pipeless416
09-12-2010, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by jasonwayne222
id bet its one of the cam bearing stays, the dowel pins that go on each end of the cam bearings to keep the bearings from walking off the end of the cam, itll run and you wont even notice until an hour or two after riding and the bearing will walk off the end of the cam and cause all kinds of damage to your valves and piston

ask me how I know!!!

the cam bearing stays look a little different from this dowel. each end of the dowels for the cam bearings step down to a smaller outside diameter.

flyboy1294
09-13-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
the cam bearing stays look a little different from this dowel. each end of the dowels for the cam bearings step down to a smaller outside diameter.

Exactly. And when I disassembled the head, there was only one cam stay. My initial suspicion was that the guy put his thing in place of the cam bearing stay on the left side. There was evidence of the bearings walking around (slight damage to cam, valve train, etc.)

Thus far, I have torn the engine back down to the center case and still do not see the placement of this dowel.

I will continue to browse schematics, but I am not going to lose anymore sleep over this thing.

flyboy1294
09-18-2010, 09:56 AM
The dowel was in place of a cam dowel as I thought (found wear marks. He tried to JB weld it in :eek2: ), so now I'm placing an order with Service Honda to get some of this small stuff for the head.

Anyway, one of cam bearings doesn't have a black seal-is this normal? If not is it a big deal? They are constantly oil-bathed, it might be suppose to be like that, idk.

Any help would be appreciated. A replacement bearing is $31.49

:rolleyes:

hocman123
09-18-2010, 11:52 AM
thats how the bearings should be the one with the seal should go on the sprocket side of the cam open side faceing in

flyboy1294
09-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by hocman123
thats how the bearings should be the one with the seal should go on the sprocket side of the cam open side faceing in
Alright thank you man, just what I needed.

Completion pics coming soon