PDA

View Full Version : breaking belts

kfx450
09-11-2010, 08:24 AM
stock clutch setup on drr's. running hs or gncc's these things seem to be eating belts new or old clutches and belts. I know of several people this year that it is win on break a belt. Today there were several fast kids that lost at NY due to broken belts. Some belts aren't lasting a race were the old belt was just changed from age. Is there a better belt.

I was wondering what you gues are doing to solve this problem

thank you
jayme

THARNESS
09-11-2010, 08:59 AM
I drilled several 1/2 inch holes in the clutch cover and ran an outerwear that I got from G-Force and never had this issue again. Heat is the culprit. Let the heat out and problem solved.

nordic quad
09-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Lots of better belts available.Metrakit MRD belts have the newest tecnology.Are you still on stock torque spring?these does not last wery long,once your torquespring starts to fade moore heat will build up in your cvt causing your belt to melt and shread,also check the alignment of front and rear pulley we had to adjust ours.
IMO the stock Apex clutches are a lot better than the ones on Drr(Access)
I am sure the site sponsors Hetrick and G-force will have a fix for you.
And remember if you break in a new belt gently it will last longer.

Stein A

jerkyboy
09-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Heat is the issue. You need to vent the cvt cover. There are a few threads about this already. Selbegirl has some pics of there cover.

kfx450
09-11-2010, 08:05 PM
you are probably right on the heat. we will be putting the holes in the cover to drop heat. new mallossi 86cc kit is turning alot more rpms that i am sure is building alot more heat. koso 2400 spring. the other bike is running springs from g-force 2000 but not sure of the brand. will keeep you updated on the progress.

FISH ON!
09-11-2010, 09:25 PM
There's a lot of factors to consider when running an hour long XC. The more you bump up the hp and rpms, the harder it is to preserve the belt. That's why we still run a stock cylinder and turn less RPMs than most in the GNCC Mod class but no DNFs all season. Other major factors are the size of the rear tires and the riding conditions (muddy, hilly, etc..) Getting more air in the CVT is the way to go but you still need to protect it on those wet rainy days.

If you're running XC, go for mods that give you more bottom end.

Full Throttle00
09-14-2010, 02:52 AM
Played with belts for Offroad vs MX.
Go with a fatter belt 17-18mm & a bit longer, and yes vent the clutch cover reduce heat & I have one for sale in 4 sale $50+ship.

airmobile101
09-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by THARNESS
I drilled several 1/2 inch holes in the clutch cover and ran an outerwear that I got from G-Force and never had this issue again. Heat is the culprit. Let the heat out and problem solved.
Dead correct! Even to little slow 4-strokes generate tons of heat once you modify them. I had to buy a cvt cover and modify the hell out of it to get the heat out. Good point THARNESS!