PDA

View Full Version : shocks

hawaiianbasshed
09-11-2010, 02:02 AM
I've been looking at all the shocks I could find for it (not made specifically for an LT80) it has some longer shocks on it now that I have no idea what they are but they're stupid stiff. only time they're worth anything at all is they have ok bottoming resistance to jumps with me riding it.

so my kid doesn't get any travel out of them. they're basically fully extended all the time. I was thinking about trying some shocks that I'm sure people will flip out on. but I want to try some different rate springs off ebay from china bikes particularly pitbike shocks... the cheap ones have comp and rebound adjustments and he needs something that will actually travel on things besides jumps from what I feel like...

his bike has wheel spacers already and aside from a diamond J 300ex swap I don't think I can get much more travel on the front... the rear just straight sucks... so I was thinking of possibly keeping the shocks longer than stock as these are, but getting pitbike shocks since the rate will be much softer. it may get slight sag instead of riding at full extension. and when he jumps the shocks will hit max extension before the land so I'm HOPING it along with compression settings will stop heavy bottoming out on jumps but ride better all around.

I'm think maybe I'll look at the max travel with the shock not on and see if I can find something that can get almost all the travel the bike can handle but a soft spring and just see how it works.. I'm thinking it will have roll if too soft but I'm basically looking to see the suspension do ANY movement without an adult riding it and maybe going over smaller stuff if possible too... right now I feel like the tires do all the work and my son just gets jostled around lol

thanks for any insight!

cik orange
09-11-2010, 07:19 AM
when we had our lt80 we had +2 a-arms and works fronts very stiff he didn't like them so i put stock Kasea fronts on and they were like night and day better. some times oddball things work

hawaiianbasshed
09-11-2010, 11:26 AM
I have +2" spacers on the front :D lol... suppose if I'm THAT worried I could relocate the lower mount further out and use longer shocks or same type I have on now :D which are about an inch longer than stock iirc, as I have a spare frame with shocks and arms basically a chassis would be roller but I took it apart as the motor was cracked...

desratt
09-11-2010, 12:56 PM
who did you get the +2 a arms from??

cik orange
09-11-2010, 05:51 PM
ill try to find my old paper work but it was some place in arizona

cik orange
09-11-2010, 06:48 PM
atvracing and they were +3 my bad

hawaiianbasshed
09-11-2010, 08:13 PM
there's a guy on here who was modding stock a-arms and tie rods to +3" for super cheap, sea buggy I wanna say his name was :) stupid cheap... and he could get shocks for them super cheap too off another mini stock take offs iirc...

any decent welder could probably make a set of +3 stockers ;)

hawaiianbasshed
09-12-2010, 03:05 AM
anyone happen to know a good spring rate? like 250lbs/inch or 550/inch or 1000/inch? what's common for front and rear? thinking of just getting anything to play with and test. I think a shorter shock with a softer spring maybe even.

I checked travel by unbolting the top of the rear shock. it is at max downward travel of the motor/frame... shock is 12.5" eye to eye installed on the bike.. thinking of going with an 10-11" shock with a soft springe 250lbs/inch or MAYbe 550lbs/inch. these are pitbike shocks as they're check and have rebound, preload and some compression adjustable.

looking at fast ace the stock SDG pitbike type...

http://www.pccmotor.com/10quot-shock-sdg-honda-xr50-crf50-70-crf-fasta105050702219.html

http://www.pccmotor.com/fastace-11quot-280mm-rear-shock-re11280.html

could also get something off ebay for less but similar, either stay fast ace or go to full generic, I like the idea of going with a cheap fast ace to try just a rear out for now.

10.5" eye to eye

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FASTACE-22-AR-SHOCK-HONDA-XR50-CRF50-XR-CRF-50-PIT-BIKE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b2413278QQitemZ14042 9570680QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

here's a 10.6" e to e with 1000lbs/inch spring and 70mm stroke close to 3"...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-6-270MM-FASTACE-1000lb-Rear-Shock-PIT-DIRT-BIKE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e5e28dc2fQQitemZ13042 8754991QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

just mostly need to decide spring rate in lbs/inch...