PDA

View Full Version : high comp piston or shaved head?

hontrx265r
09-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Which is better and why? I've heard some motor builders prefer the oem piston and to shave the head for compression changes. I'm curious to know what the benefit of this is, over a piston change.

Scro
09-11-2010, 07:12 AM
I don't see anything beneficial to shaving the head over a simple piston change. When you shave the head, it changes the distance between the cam sprocket and crank. This can make it a little tricky to time. If you do a piston swap, the piston will more than likely be lighter, and in some cases will have less rings to reduce friction.

speedfreek
09-11-2010, 08:25 AM
I'm gonna say get a high comp piston. If you shave the head, you cannot get this material back.

I think it would be better to deck the block to get the correct squish/quench.

hontrx265r
09-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm not personally going between the two I'm just curious. I've always done pistons. I was thinking maybe builders are using the head to get the really high compression

86 Quad R
09-15-2010, 03:15 PM
you really have to be careful when doing this. depending on piston style/specs and cam changes ect ect. you can get into trouble with head shaving as tolerances are tight enough as is. i always opt to get the compression with the piston as they are reliefed for valve clearances.