PDA

View Full Version : Race Cut?

Honda4LifeWes36
09-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Im thinkin about buying some race cut fenders tomorrow.

Is that a good choice? I ride alot on the track and alot in trails.

For muddy situations, the stock front fenders really don't keep mud off of you anyways.

What should I do?

slightlybent47
09-10-2010, 10:07 PM
I put off cutting my finders but after I did I like them that way. Why buy a set that’s cut just cut yours and save the money. But having a spar set is good also.

Honda4LifeWes36
09-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Well I need new front plastics and buyin em new is a lot of money (for my budget).

I know a guy that wants to sell me some nice ones that are cut for 70 bucks plus the two black side panels...

So I thought that would be the way to save money.

I was gonna cut my cracked stockers but the crack is too deep. Runs up almost to the bars then down to the black panel...

dalejiw25
09-11-2010, 06:12 AM
Some reasons for race cut fenders:
* Easier to see front tires and their relation to the ground
* Reduced air resistance
* Reduced weight
* Frees up space for movement through tight trails (In other words, You can't crack or break what's not there)
* Allows for certain modifications (kick start)
* Improved and/or unique appearance

slightlybent47
09-11-2010, 06:26 AM
I can agree on being able to see your tires better but being more aerodynamic is not a practical. There no way that the finders will have much of an affect on wind resistance. The speeds that you ride at are not sufficient enough to have an effect. As for weight the savings in weight is not going to effect you at all, you are only shaving off maybe an ounce or two at best and though it is lighter by a fraction I highly doubt it will effect your performance. But it is a nice look though. jmo

slightlybent47
09-11-2010, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Honda4LifeWes36
Well I need new front plastics and buyin em new is a lot of money (for my budget).

I know a guy that wants to sell me some nice ones that are cut for 70 bucks plus the two black side panels...

So I thought that would be the way to save money.

I was gonna cut my cracked stockers but the crack is too deep. Runs up almost to the bars then down to the black panel...

It sounds like you need them but that seems like a bit much for used fenders. what do new ones go for? i bought a new rear fender from a dealer and it was only around $80.00

dalejiw25
09-11-2010, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I can agree on being able to see your tires better but being more aerodynamic is not a practical. There no way that the finders will have much of an affect on wind resistance. The speeds that you ride at are not sufficient enough to have an effect. As for weight the savings in weight is not going to effect you at all, you are only shaving off maybe an ounce or two at best and though it is lighter by a fraction I highly doubt it will effect your performance. But it is a nice look though. jmo
Ya, You're right, I should have known better than to try to Justify them. I should of just said - "Because they look Phukin Cool !!!!"

BlasterEaten250
09-11-2010, 06:41 AM
When going through the mud you get muddy with stock fenders but the only thing I don't like about race cuts is it seems to get mud up by your goggles easier. I can deal with mud on my legs and stuff but it gets kind of annoying when you can't see.

slightlybent47
09-11-2010, 08:49 AM
i'm sure that if you were drag racing or maybe flat track and you are hitting some high speeds that it may have some aero dynamic exect, but not for mx. jmo

slightlybent47
09-11-2010, 10:44 AM
I guess for me I like to ride ahead of where I am on the track so I don’t look at my tires when I’m riding. So cut fenders don’t help me in that area. But maybe some riders do so it’s good for them. I feel like once I have visualized what I’m going to do going into a corner so as I’m going through that corner I am looking at what’s coming up next and I work it in my mind before I get there. So I’m always looking ahead of where I am.

Honda4LifeWes36
09-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Well I got on Dennis Kirk and new fronts are 240 big ones!!! But those were Maier racing ones so I called the local shop and they said 140 for stockers...uncut

slightlybent47
09-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Well I got on Dennis Kirk and new fronts are 240 big ones!!! But those were Maier racing ones so I called the local shop and they said 140 for stockers...uncut

Ouch!!!

Sounds like a good deal then, that’s half price plus your getting side panels.

Honda4LifeWes36
09-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Ha ya I know!

Another newb question. Im in the process of taking off my fronts. I got all the tabs pulled out. Do I have to take off the handlebars plus the clutch, throttle ect. just to get the front plastics off??

Dibble_Brandon
09-11-2010, 12:23 PM
Ha ya I know!

Another newb question. Im in the process of taking off my fronts. I got all the tabs pulled out. Do I have to take off the handlebars plus the clutch, throttle ect. just to get the front plastics off??

No, you dont have to take the bars off, take off the gas cap, and remove the tank cover... then the front should slide off in between the handle bars once the 4 bolts are removed... Brandon

Honda4LifeWes36
09-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Yep. Well I got the fronts off. Now the only thing connecting em from the quad is the wires for the lights. and the wires going to the key switch. How the hell do I get around them now!?! LOL FRUSTRATING!!

Dibble_Brandon
09-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Yep. Well I got the fronts off. Now the only thing connecting em from the quad is the wires for the lights. and the wires going to the key switch. How the hell do I get around them now!?! LOL FRUSTRATING!!

They unplug pretty easy, i just did it this morning actually. Look for a green plug to disconnect the key, and the light wires are quick disconnect, at least on mine.

Honda4LifeWes36
09-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Alright thanks man. I'll try it out

Honda4LifeWes36
09-11-2010, 07:09 PM
I see the quick disconnects which come off easy, but I have a green connect and a whitish one which I have no clue how to disconnect.

Ive tried pulling on it and everything. I don't wanna screw it up. How did you get the green one to disconnect??

CJM
09-11-2010, 07:16 PM
I see the quick disconnects which come off easy, but I have a green connect and a whitish one which I have no clue how to disconnect.

Ive tried pulling on it and everything. I don't wanna screw it up. How did you get the green one to disconnect??

They have release tabs, I think they pull out a bit and you can unplug them. I use a small screwdriver to do it.

Honda4LifeWes36
09-11-2010, 07:22 PM
I see some what looks like tabs but I squeezed em with my fingers and they wouldn't budge at all...maybe I should try a tool.

Grr.

Dibble_Brandon
09-11-2010, 08:36 PM
I see some what looks like tabs but I squeezed em with my fingers and they wouldn't budge at all...maybe I should try a tool.

Grr.

YEA, THERE A PAIN... I ripped out the white/clear-ish one, but thankfully i have an old one i can use to splice the connector back on.

Honda4LifeWes36
09-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Finally got em off!! Thanks guys

Now Ill prolly struggle to get em off.

HondaRacing83
09-12-2010, 03:49 PM
pics of the fenders when you get em!

Honda4LifeWes36
09-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Well I got em on. It wasn't as big of struggle as I thought it would be. I am pretty pleased with the plastics even though they are off a 2002 so pretty old. The guy cut them himself but he did a pretty good job.

Will post pictures probably tomorrow.

Thanks!!

HondaRacing83
09-12-2010, 06:18 PM
cool!

Honda4LifeWes36
10-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Sorry for the wait. LOL.

But finally, here is the picture if I can get it to work.

Sorry for the bad quality...its off my phone. But from the angle you can see the new bars, number plate, and fenders.

Tell me what you think!?!

Racerjames
10-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Something to consider:
If you JUMP your bike, straight on air resistance is not much of a big deal, but add a hard gusting sidewind, them floppy fronts will scoop some serious air....enough to change trajectory in a baaad way. (those of you that ride in $hitty weather know where I'm coming from)
On the other side of the nasty weather coin, do you like big face fulls of mud? I've never been much of a fan. Though not a whole lot of coverage, the stockers will keep it from soaking your head down....yes with a helmet, I've gotten mud places I'd care not to admit :D

BTW Wes...looks slick!

Honda4LifeWes36
10-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Alaskan trapped in Iowa. NICE

For me, Iowan trapped in Iowa LOL

hypersnyper6947
10-09-2010, 12:45 PM
do it for sure

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/DSCN0108.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/DSC06779.jpg

Honda4LifeWes36
10-09-2010, 02:10 PM
That place looks insane! WOW looks like a ton of fun

hypersnyper6947
10-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Thats croom in brooksvillle fl. It is a blast.

Shawthy33
10-11-2010, 07:30 AM
Sorry for the wait. LOL.

But finally, here is the picture if I can get it to work.

Sorry for the bad quality...its off my phone. But from the angle you can see the new bars, number plate, and fenders.

Tell me what you think!?!

Looks good, but you may want to check your real tires air pressure, they are looking a little balooned'

Honda4LifeWes36
10-11-2010, 07:31 PM
I know. My tires leak around the bead. Cant get them to seal up.

It has many problems that I need to fix!!

HondaRacing83
10-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Honda4LifeWes36:ur quad looks pretty sharp,i think it would look alot better with some +2's,shocks and an extended axle.that would be pretty sweet on their.an mx/stock look

Honda4LifeWes36
10-12-2010, 03:58 PM
I really want new shocks but there so expensive.

My axle is widened but it is now bent lol.

+2s would be nice but got little money

rinconrider
10-12-2010, 04:09 PM
good info here to help decide on which way to go. I still like the fronts on the old style the best though. :D

HondaRacing83
10-12-2010, 04:13 PM
pick up some used +2's and 450r front shocks.idk what to tell you about the axle tho haha.id just buy an adjustable gforce off ebay.they are cheap and have a lifetime warrenty

Honda4LifeWes36
10-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Yep I've been looking at the G Force for 200 bucks for about 2 years lol!

You cant tell that its bent in the trails or on track, but when your on the road it is hell ash ish. Probably not good for it either.

Honda4LifeWes36
10-19-2010, 07:51 PM
Sorry, here is a better picture of the news front plastics, bars, grips, etc.