PDA

View Full Version : Newb needs more help

ctdiesel99
09-09-2010, 07:41 PM
I got bored and started disassembling the back axle. i started off by removing the wheels. then i took the caliper off of the rotor and laid it to the side. next i turned the big nut(one on the right) in toward the carrier and removed the c clip. then i was able to slive both of those big nuts to the far right along with the threaded piece that goes next to the brake rotor. next i took off the bad hub (left side). it was a breeze. i moved to the right hub (the "good one"). removed the pin and tried to remove the nut holding the hub on and no budge at all. I saoked it in wd-40, but my guess is i need to heat it up maybe? Another problem i ran into was that the rotor will not budge off the axle. no movement what so ever when i try removing it. Do i need to heat it up also? And my last problem, how do i remove the chain from the sprocket? I'm not to that point yet, but when i get there i need to know how to do it. i looked for a chain tensioner of some sort and it's nowhere to be found. It's comical as to how much slop is in the carrier, seriously. i'm thinkin i may be stuck buying a new one but not quite sure yet. thanks in advance guys.

hocman123
09-09-2010, 08:05 PM
well u should have tryed to take the hubs of first that way u could use the rear brake to help hold the axel from spining so put the brakes back on and have a friend help u by pushing the brake and maybe holding the hub or ur best bet will be a impact gun i used one to do mine with no brake on with no problem

as for the rotor u just need to hit it but not on the rotor on the mont only and don't be scared hit it hard but do it once then turn the axel then hit it at a differant spot to help work it off sometimes they can get really stuck on good.

and now the chain the tensionor is the carrier when u are undoing the axle u need to loosen all the 4 allen head bolt on the swingarm which u will hve to do to get the carrier out anways and then u need to find the master link on the chain check both sides and u will be able to tell when u see it it has a little clip on the side u have to remove and the link should push right off. also a good time to check sprocket wear and how good ur chain condiction

ctdiesel99
09-09-2010, 08:11 PM
thank you for the reply. the problem with getting the last hub off, its that the back brakes didn't work to begin with. another issue i'm addressing while it's apart. any other advice i could use to get that last back hub off?

exrpnt
09-09-2010, 08:11 PM
try spraying some of this on there, this stuff works great, i had to use it to get the axel locknuts loose.

http://www.amazon.com/Blaster-16-PB-Penetrating-Catalyst-oz/dp/B000I2079E

you can get it at home depot or pretty much any hardware store

hocman123
09-09-2010, 08:16 PM
yea bp blaster is good stuff but as a side note when u get the axel off look at the axel and make sure it has not been scractched up ethor sometimes when bearing get really bad they can damage axels

atv fan 28
09-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Maybe this will help ya.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359350&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

4reeds
09-10-2010, 01:55 PM
try putting the other hub back on put the tires on then have someone hold the tires from spinning and use a breaker bar and socket extension to break it free.

4strokernow
09-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I recently did my axle and needed the help of my friends the impact gun a couple of light taps to the trigger and the hub nuts were off.

hocman123
09-11-2010, 03:46 PM
told u impact guns are the best tool to invest in even for if u don't need it that much i battery powered snap-on is good that way u don't need a big compressior set up and still works great