PDA

View Full Version : Clutch not disengaging

Mustangous
09-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Long story short, my buddy pulled the engine apart to replace the shifter shaft. He has been having so issues along the way putting it back together... :rolleyes: So with the help of this forum, i have been helping him get it back together and running.

So now the clutch isn't disengaging. same tension on the lever as prior to taken apart. When running and he goes to put in gear it jerks forward and stalls as if the clutch lever was never pulled in. We took it apart and i found the first clutch disk not offset from the others, so i thought that was it. After putting it back together, that wasn't it.

Any suggestions??

4reeds
09-09-2010, 11:48 AM
had similar issue after replacing the clutch in my 400. mine was just the clutch cable needed adjusted. start simple and go from there. mine would jump as soon as you put it in first and the bike would die.

Mustangous
09-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Just figured it out... He put a washer in the wrong spot. :rolleyes: Doesnt follow directions too well. lol

Mustangous
09-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by 4reeds
had similar issue after replacing the clutch in my 400. mine was just the clutch cable needed adjusted. start simple and go from there. mine would jump as soon as you put it in first and the bike would die. Just curious, but if you have the end play on the clutch lever with 1/4 to 3/8 play, wouldnt that avoid any other clutch adjustment?

4reeds
09-09-2010, 01:28 PM
its actually supposed to be 3/8 to 3/4 of freeplay

Mustangous
09-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by 4reeds
its actually supposed to be 3/8 to 3/4 of freeplay
I prefer to look between the lever and purch, not the end of the lever. Do you actually measure yours ???

4reeds
09-09-2010, 06:56 PM
heck no. i adjust by feel. everyone has there own preference to when they like their clutch to grab.i like mine to grab as soon as i start to let out

guenther
09-09-2010, 07:12 PM
I have my lever set to start disengaging my clutch right off the pull so I can feather it easily in XC conditions (hills in the woods and mud). It takes much less effort and increases control by doing it this way. Not really necessary to do it this way in MX or general trail riding.