PDA

View Full Version : Maier race plastic with carbon fiber hood

Honda 250r 001
09-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Hello all, ive got maier race one piece front plastic and ive been eyeing a carbon fiber hood scoop made by maier also. Could i cut the center piece out and mount the hood up just like original plastic? Or would this not work?
Thanks

troybilt
09-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
Hello all, ive got maier race one piece front plastic and ive been eyeing a carbon fiber hood scoop made by maier also. Could i cut the center piece out and mount the hood up just like original plastic? Or would this not work?
Thanks

The carbon fiber "look" hood by Maier mounts right on top of the one piece maier plastic. That's how I mounted mine...

See pic:

Honda 250r 001
09-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks! i just bought that same hood off ebay!

rooster300ex
09-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by troybilt
The carbon fiber "look" hood by Maier mounts right on top of the one piece maier plastic. That's how I mounted mine...

See pic:

I like that:D

Honda 250r 001
09-09-2010, 09:25 PM
It looks pretty gray and prolly wont match my black tank cover and seat cover. but oh well it will still look good. And I wish the quadtech grill would fit in the front of the scoop on the maier. that would be awesome.

Honda 250r 001
09-22-2010, 09:48 AM
troy, how did you get them to match up so well between the hood and the plastic? Did you cut the middle out of the plastic under the hood? or did you just simply bolt it on? Hers a pic of how mine turned out. It still needs a little work.

troybilt
09-22-2010, 09:53 AM
troy, how did you get them to match up so well between the hood and the plastic? Did you cut the middle out of the plastic under the hood? or did you just simply bolt it on? Hers a pic of how mine turned out. It still needs a little work.

No I didn't cut anything. Post a pic, mine matched up well. I just lined it up then marked the holes in the plastic and drilled a couple holes.

Honda 250r 001
09-22-2010, 10:01 AM
heres a pic of how mine lined up. Did you cut anyhting off the top? the hood seems to be too long for the plastic.

troybilt
09-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Looks good, no I don't think I worried about it being too long. But you could trim that if you wanted. It doesn't stick out to me...

I would be neat to find a grill for it, but I've seen aluminum mesh used instead and that looks really sick on there.

troybilt
09-22-2010, 10:14 AM
I've seen this stuff (glued I think) under neath to close up the scoop... looks really sweet don't know how much it is though.

vs. a grill.

the other thing you can do is measure up a grill yourself and put your own design in it and have it laser cut. Grainbelt in Salina can cut that for you.

Honda 250r 001
09-22-2010, 10:55 AM
I've seen this stuff (glued I think) under neath to close up the scoop... looks really sweet don't know how much it is though.

vs. a grill.

the other thing you can do is measure up a grill yourself and put your own design in it and have it laser cut. Grainbelt in Salina can cut that for you.

i might have to have that done! I tried to buy a grill from a member on here but my thread quickly turned into a war as to who was getting what grill, hood and scoops... So thats out of the picture. Anyone have any ideas on a cool grill?

troybilt
09-22-2010, 11:40 AM
i might have to have that done! I tried to buy a grill from a member on here but my thread quickly turned into a war as to who was getting what grill, hood and scoops... So thats out of the picture. Anyone have any ideas on a cool grill?

Yeah, I saw that. I don't know what it is about the QT hoods and QT stuff around here.... I'd just assume buy a FW Carbon one its super high quality and cheaper than a used QT hood... The QT one wouldn't fit anyway, you're better off designing one you're self and getting it cut out.

Another thought you can buy thin sheets of aluminum from Home Depot, cheap like 6 bucks for way more than you'd need. Its like 20 gage or so, and you can cut it with a razor blade. Cuts really easy. I made several outerwears type covers for my airbox with that stuff. Just be carefull and don't cut your finger off, I almost did.... You can polish it also. Another thing, we've cut ALOT of heavier aluminum 1/4 thick and beyond, with a jigsaw works good too.

If you dead set on a grill, I'd draw one up in photoshop or something then trace it out on aluminum sheet and make your own. If you don't like scrap it and do another one... my $0.02

Honda 250r 001
09-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I saw that. I don't know what it is about the QT hoods and QT stuff around here.... I'd just assume buy a FW Carbon one its super high quality and cheaper than a used QT hood... The QT one wouldn't fit anyway, you're better off designing one you're self and getting it cut out.

Another thought you can buy thin sheets of aluminum from Home Depot, cheap like 6 bucks for way more than you'd need. Its like 20 gage or so, and you can cut it with a razor blade. Cuts really easy. I made several outerwears type covers for my airbox with that stuff. Just be carefull and don't cut your finger off, I almost did.... You can polish it also. Another thing, we've cut ALOT of heavier aluminum 1/4 thick and beyond, with a jigsaw works good too.

If you dead set on a grill, I'd draw one up in photoshop or something then trace it out on aluminum sheet and make your own. If you don't like scrap it and do another one... my $0.02

Thanks for the info! I might draw something up. I sorta like the blinstar quad cross front bumper. I might do something like that.

Honda 250r 001
09-22-2010, 09:36 PM
hers what i drew up just for fun. cant figure out how to get the pieces that are getting cut out, a different color. microsoft word SUCKS