PDA

View Full Version : possible valve recall?

bean2080
09-08-2010, 03:46 PM
is anyone having to put a 1.20 shim in there intake valves? i am having this problem and i was talking to a honda mechanic today about this and he replied about a possible recall on this? he told me that alot of honda 450r's he has worked on he had to put the smallest shim they make in it just to barley get the right clearence. he also told me that after the 450r's come back in for another valve adjustment that he has nothing else to do besides putting all new valves in them since there isnt a smaller shim to go down to.

i was just curious if anyone on here was having this problem? from what it sounds like, i am not the only one this issue is happening to. he said alot of the 450 ER models you can not notice the issue as easy on because of the electric start but on the R models you can really tell because you have to kick start it.

if anyone is having starting problems then it could be a possible valve clearence problem like all these other 450's are having. this is only on the intake valves, the exhaust valves seem to be fine.

to me this sounds like its a big problem, atleast around here. if and when my valves go out of adjustment again i think i am just going to get aftermarket valves

i dont want to cause problems or arguments, i just heard this and was just wondering if others were having these issues.

fmfhonda250r
09-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Stock 450's come with 160 range on the intake stock shim size. If you have a 120 shim in there now and is time for some new valves. this is caused by wear or sucking dirt or sand. I was a service manager at a honda shop for 4 years and there is no recall on the valves who ever told you that is full of it and doesnt know what he is talking about.

eastside 400
09-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Honda 4strokes wear valves, esp 06+ 450r's and the 250f's the problem is that they are Ti and the seat material is meant for SS valves. There is no recall and there will never be one. the 04-05 bikes ive never had many wear issues with stock valves. Ive tried stock CRF Ti valves and they were junk. If you want Ti valves then you need to put copper seats in it. or throw a set of ferrea SS valves in with a new valve job on stock seats. You will probably need exhaust valve guides as well. DONT BUY KIBBLEWHITES they are trash and break very often

bean2080
09-08-2010, 06:12 PM
like i said, i was just relaying what he told me. i didnt know if it was true or not. so are you saying this isnt a normal thing like he said it was? true or not, i just wanted to pass it on and see if others were having this issue like i heard people were.

anyway, im going to run it and if they tighten up on me again ill have to see what the deal is. hopefully i just need new valves but i guess its possible i need new valves and seats. i never checked prices but it might just be as cheap just to get a new head and be done with it. is there aftermarket valves you can get for the 450's that have the old style adjuster on them? i guess i better start looking for what valves and heads are good so if anyone has any info on that it would be helpfull.

Butter
09-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
DONT BUY KIBBLEWHITES they are trash and break very often

LOL, man, I have no idea what your talking about. KW are great............ If you feel like building an entire engine once one breaks!! Hope the shoulder is coming along Chris!

D Bergstrom
09-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
DONT BUY KIBBLEWHITES they are trash and break very often

Originally posted by Butter
KW are great............ If you feel like building an entire engine once one breaks!!

I guess someone needs to tell my KW valves this. My one 450R has had the same set of KW valves in it for over three years. My other 450R racer quad has had the same set for the last year and a half. My old CRF450R had a set in it for almost four years when I sold it. Never had any problems with any of them. I have never even had to shim any of them. As far as I am concerned, KW makes good valves.

As other have said though, valves wear, especially the TI ones. I bought my 2003 CRF brand new and had to replace the valves in 8 months. I would be willing to bet you sucked some dirt into the motor. That will kill them faster then anything, even just a small amount.

Doug