PDA

View Full Version : Need some help/opinions

250ex13
09-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Hey guys. I've drifted away from the sport in the past few months as I can't afford to maintain or fix my atv anymore.:(

I own a trx250ex. My question is how should I go about selling it? It's currently sitting in the garage needing repairs such as.. new battery, new jets and an exhaust. I can't afford to spend any money on repairing these things.

Do you guys think I would have better luck parting the quad out? or should I try to sell as is? Whats a reasonable price for a 2005 trx250ex?

BlaineKaiser450
09-08-2010, 04:43 PM
Honestly, what I would try to do is borrow $100 or so and use it to make it look really nice, new battery (I just bought one for my 05 250ex and it was $30), get a stock exhaust on ebay or whatever, and then sell it. You should be able to make a little bit more

250ex13
09-09-2010, 02:45 PM
I've been trying to get someone to lend me some money but no luck. Do you guys think I would have luck parting it out? How much would the engine and frame be worth?

jgar
09-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Get on craigs list and ebay and check out your area. Around boston 250 ex are hard to sell, dont see any for more than 1500.

250ex13
09-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I posted the quad as is on craigslist for 1 grand. Does that sound reasonable considering the things it needs to run?
My only problem is I don't have a way to transport the quad anywhere. Is it to risky to meet at my house? Theres a park down the street.. should I wheel it over there to meet people?

quad2xtreme
09-09-2010, 08:24 PM
why does it need new jets?

At most you should need a can of carb cleaner.

Why does it need a new exhaust?

Are you telling the whole story here? Did you muck up the exhaust and eventually burn a valve up from having the wrong jetting?

A running quad is worth way more than one that doesn't run. I don't see you getting much for parting it out...not once you figure you aren't going to get much for the motor.

250ex13
09-09-2010, 09:09 PM
The quads been sitting in the garage over winter and hasn't been touched until recently. I opened up the carb to clean it with carb cleaner and one of the jets is seriously clogged (I have no clue what it is) I tried taking a safty pin and clearing it out and it still wont clear.

It needs a new exhaust because I sold the HMF I had on it to repair my computer. I have the tail end of my stock exhaust but I can't find the header.

Thanks for your opinions guys. I'm going to try to get my parents to lend me some money to repair it but well see how that goes

wilkin250r
09-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Generally speaking, you make more money parting a quad than selling it whole. But it's also more work.

However, I don't know if that is really going to apply to a 250EX. They're a beginner quad, fairly mild, and extremely reliable. All this combines to create a quad that isn't broken very much, so the demand for parts isn't really high.

If you had a 450r, you'd be able to sell lots of parts, rather quickly. People break those fairly often, so lots of people are looking for replacement parts. The 250EX isn't in quite as high demand for replacements.

I think you'd be better off selling it whole.

250ex13
09-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Guys I have another problem.
I can't find the title to the quad. Can I go to the dealership where I purchased the quad for a new one? Theres got to be some way to get another

quad2xtreme
09-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Titles come from the DMV. You should be able to get a duplicate for a fee if it was in fact titled.

250ex13
09-10-2010, 03:42 PM
awesome. thank you!

250ex13
09-10-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm going to go to dmv monday is there anything I need to bring other than id? Should I write the vin number down?