PDA

View Full Version : ATV accidents up 90% in NB!

Blysster
02-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Whoaa! Now that insurance is manditory in NB we won't be able to afford them! This is rediculous. :grr :mad:

http://nb.cbc.ca/template/servlet/View?filename=nb_atvaccident20030205

NB leads country in ATV accidents
WebPosted Feb 5 2003 11:00 AM EST

FREDERICTON – New Brunswick has the highest increase in all-terrain-vehicle accidents in the country over a recent three-year period, according to a report from the Canadian Institute for Health Information.

Accident rates are on the rise across Canada, but New Brunswick's jump is the biggest. The report says ATV-related injuries requiring hospital care leaped by 90 per cent from the 1996-97 season to 2000-2001. One third of those hospitalizations were children between the ages of five and 19 years old. The national average was less than 50 per cent.

Read the report –Canadian Institute for Health Information

Julian Martalog co-authored the report and says one reason for the increase is that sales of ATVs have tripled over the same time frame. But he also says lack of rules for ATV drivers has also played a role. "We do know that the minimum age required to drive an ATV varies by province. In some provinces there is no minimum legislated age, while in others it ranges from 12 to 16 years."

New Brunswick has no age restriction for ATVs, despite a recemmendation for a minimum age of 16 from a group that studied the issue for more than a year. The government has yet to act on the task force's suggestion, but Public Safety Minister Margaret-Ann Blaney says legislation governing the recreational vehicles is in the works.

Doibugu2
02-06-2003, 10:17 AM
See thats why things can be so misleading. How closely did you really read that?

Sales of ATV's went up 300%, but accidents went up 90%.

That is the bad things about numbers you can twist then to say whatever you want. But yes, people do need to be more careful.

airheadedduner
02-06-2003, 10:25 AM
That is why I have heard that they are closeing more dunes. Too many accidents cause of more people. Sounds like they are doing it backwards to me but thats the goverment for ya:rolleyes: I have noticed the steady increase in accidents, mosly collisions because they keep closeing land to "reduce" the problem. They KNOW its creating more problems, I have talked to a few forest service workers about it but they say it is easier for them to close the land then open more or police it better. It makes them look better in the general public's eyes too, I say they need to poke it and do whats best for us:p

Blysster
02-06-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
See thats why things can be so misleading. How closely did you really read that?

Sales of ATV's went up 300%, but accidents went up 90%.

That is the bad things about numbers you can twist then to say whatever you want. But yes, people do need to be more careful.

True, but from the insurance company's point of view it's 90% more accidents regardless of how many ATVs are sold.

We are already paying the highest rates in the country.

02-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Blysster
True, but from the insurance company's point of view it's 90% more accidents regardless of how many ATVs are sold.

We are already paying the highest rates in the country.

:grr propaganda maxima :devil

Quad18star
02-06-2003, 07:46 PM
Funny that you post this . There was a little segment on Global news lastnight about atv related accidents . I can see it happening right now , the price of insurance is going to sky rocket . Look what they did to the snowmobile insurance in this country . You can't even afford to pay the 900$-1200$ a year for insurance unless you make 150 000$ a year . Price of sleds has gone up , winters are shorter ( unless ur in newfoundland poor guys ) and insurance is up . Main reason I dont ride sleds anymore , and if they do the same to ATVs , they'll lose another rider.

Blysster
02-06-2003, 09:05 PM
Does any other province or state require liability insurance by law?

just curious..

I wouldn't be against it if the insurance companies didn't abuse it.