PDA

View Full Version : bought a 01 400ex

ctdiesel99
09-07-2010, 10:18 PM
I just picked up my new (to me) 2001 400ex yesterday. I bought it knowing it needs a little bit of work but feel like i got it for a steal at $900. So on to the stuff it needs i need some help with. when i went and looked at it i wiggled the rear end back and fourth, and it had quite a bit of play. Carrier bearing? second, when my buddy lifted the front end up, i wiggled the two front tires back and fourth (separately) and they both had some play in them as well. It's supposed to be bored to a 440, also has an aftermarket intake, and a big gun exhaust. I took the quad for a ride several times in the last day, and it rides good. awesome power, pull the wheels up in 1-3 gears. havent had a lot of time in anything past 3rd, but it wont idle without a little bit of throttle. needs to be rejetted? I'm completely new to the 400ex world, my last quad was a warrior 350, and this 400ex is by far faster and handles better, i just need to get this suspension stuff straightened out so i can fully enjoy it. thanks in advance for any help you all can offer me. look forward to spending time on this forum.

ish416
09-08-2010, 02:52 AM
Welcome to the forums.

As far as the things you need to fix, the bearings in the axle carrier are most likely shot.

As for the front end, check the tie rods, sometimes they just need tightened up, other times they will need replaced. It could also be worn out on the bottom of the steering stem as that has happened to me.

As far as the jetting issue, I am not great with carbs as I usually have people that know more about it than I mess with it, but I would start by replacing the spark plug and see where that gets you. If it still will not idle then I would probably try cleaning the carb out and also while you are at it check the intake tube to make sure there is no dirt and that the breather tube is connected properly. I know that it may not have an effect on the quad not idling but it could suck dirt through into the intake tube and then your engine will be shot if that is not connected properly.

Also looks like you may need to replace those back tires, they don't look like they have much bite.

ctdiesel99
09-08-2010, 10:28 AM
hey thanks for the response. yeah those back tires are going to get replaced here in the near future as well. thinking about going with the maxxis razr's but just not sure if i want to spend that much money quite yet. I'm trying to find someone local to my area that i could just drop the quad off with a list of stuff that needs to be done since i dont have a lot of time between school and work. It also has a small oil leak at the bottom of the quad and for some reason the rear brake assembly is just hanging on to the rotor not connected at all. Like i said, i bought this as a "project bike" if you will, but i can't wait to get it all straightened out and go riding!!!

400exshop
09-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Thats not to bad for $900 im going to get one in two week's for $600 but it need motor work.

ctdiesel99
09-08-2010, 11:36 AM
well when i test rode this one all was fine. no ticking out of the motor, shifted through all 5 gears etc. but after riding it last night i noticed a tick coming from the motor and it had some awful vibrations on the road when turning left and right. any suggestions?

CJM
09-08-2010, 12:32 PM
bent wheels, bad hubs, the tie-rods you already mentioned, bad wheel bearings.

Do the stuff you know is busted first before anything.

hocman123
09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
first thing i would do is stop riding it if u have bad bearings like u say then the more u ride the worse it will get and if u damage the bearing carier to much that is big bucks to replace instead of a cheap bearing job trust me u will be really pissed off if u need to buy a new carrier for 300 bucks. just my 2 cents

edit: for the oil leak u have to look at the engine and see at what seal has a lot of dirt and oil around it to find which one is leaking

tedescom
09-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Mine wouldn't idle without giving it a little throttle either. I took the carb apart and the slow jet was plugged up with dirt. Cleaned it out, put it back together and it idles fine now.