PDA

View Full Version : Plastic experts?

AndrewRRR
02-06-2003, 10:05 AM
Anybody know what kind of plastic the 250r (and i'm sure all the EX bikes are the same stuff) body is made out of? I figure it's some kind of compound, ie- polyethelene, polyurethane, etc. I need to know. Our body shop has some killer plastic adhesives. I figure I'll give it a shot and see if it will fix a crack in the rear fender so I can then fill it, sand it and paint the bike. The body shop just needs to know what kind of plastic it is so they can give me the right adhesive. The adhesives are supposed to be really strong (like "the plastic will never again break in that spot" strong).
I'll let you know if it works and post pics if I can find out what this stuff is made out of.

Vtr_Racing
02-06-2003, 10:29 PM
The plastic is called ABS plastic. I am fixing a fender as well. What I am using is called Weld On. So far it hasnt come apart. It still curing though. Lemme know what you use???
The hardest part is getting them to adhere. ABS plastic is very oily and hard for stuff to stick to it. I have tried other stuff in the past but this stuff seems to work so far. Once I get the clamps off it I am gonna bang the heck out of it and see if it breaks.

JOEX
02-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Yeah...keep us posted on this stuff...no more FrankenQuads!:D

Joe

AndrewRRR
02-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Ok thanks. I wasn't sure if it was ABS since I always see ABS in thicker pieces. I wasn't sure if it could be flexible like our plastic is.
I'll take pics and keep you posted.

LOL Joe, my R's nickname is frankenstein because of the big, stitched (ziptied) scar across it's fender. Time for some cosmetic surgery.

atv223
05-06-2004, 10:10 AM
ATV plastic is not ABS (acrylonitrile butadiene styrene). ATV plastic is made of low density polyethylene LDPE. You really can’t glue LDPE, but you can weld it. Check out this site, http://www.urethanesupply.com/ I have used their welding kits on ATV fenders and it works very well.:D

AndrewRRR
05-06-2004, 11:15 AM
Wow I totally forgot about this post! Well I ended up getting the fender welded by our body shop and it hasn't cracked yet (been a couple years). I also had them paint the plastic and I'm really happy with the way it turned out. It's a white pearl base with blue/purple hues and then candy blue flames painted on. The whole thing was clear coated. Our painter put some flex additive in to help it last. It's been about 2 years also now and there is one place where the paint is separating from the plastic a little (where the weld was), and just a few minor dings on the edge of fenders, barely noticable. I definately wouldn't do this to a MX quad but for my dune machine it's working good.