PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on best way to repair a broken lower motor mount on 88 frame and welding?

JM317
09-07-2010, 04:51 PM
I've got an 88 frame with a broken lower left motor mount. Would it be better to have someone fab up another or find someone with a junk frame and have them cut one off to mount up? I've also noticed 3 other cracks in the frame that need welding, what is the best type of welding to repair stress cracks? What kind of shop or repair business would be my best bet as far as the welding work? I'd hate to scrap the frame, it seems to be straight and useable for a mild woods bike if I can get these cracks repaired fairly cheap.

250Renvy
09-07-2010, 05:30 PM
It depends where you are located, but there are a number of places that could easily fab and fix your frame.

If you are not close to one of those then any professional welder should be able to help you. Contact pumashine for his gusset kit and put that in while you are welding up cracks so you don't get anymore.

JM317
09-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
It depends where you are located, but there are a number of places that could easily fab and fix your frame.

If you are not close to one of those then any professional welder should be able to help you. Contact pumashine for his gusset kit and put that in while you are welding up cracks so you don't get anymore.

I was definitely thinking of a gusset kit to go with it, are there any pics of the kit you're talking about on the forum?

TLR-Online
09-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by JM317
I was definitely thinking of a gusset kit to go with it, are there any pics of the kit you're talking about on the forum?

Here is a pic:
http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af328/TLR-Online/Pumashine/88Complete.jpg

JM317
09-07-2010, 07:03 PM
What's the cost? Thanks!

mxduner
09-07-2010, 07:07 PM
I was definitely thinking of a gusset kit to go with it, are there any pics of the kit you're talking about on the forum? what region are you from? perhaps someone in your area can help you, or know a good place.

JM317
09-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
what region are you from? perhaps someone in your area can help you, or know a good place.

Northeast Alabama, I'm also about an hour from Tennessee or Georgia.

Pumashine
09-07-2010, 09:31 PM
I've got an 88 frame with a broken lower left motor mount. Would it be better to have someone fab up another or find someone with a junk frame and have them cut one off to mount up?

Good luck with the junk frame theory. Frames are worth their weight in gold. The 87-89 gusset kit has the sub engine mount reinforcement pieces to fix these problem spots. The sub engine mount gussets are on the bottom right hand side of the the kit are welded in the areas marked in the pic.

http://i53.tinypic.com/2hxca6c.jpg

Fabbing up a new bracket completely will cost a little more. If you are not in a hurry I will be making some of those front motor mount subframe brackets this winter. You will be able to cut the existing one off and weld a new bracket in its place.

Fabbing an exact replica for this bracket will take me about 20 hours of time. I will have cut and formed 20 brackets before I get the first one done right.

This bracket and the seat mount bracket are next on my "to do" list.

profab250R
09-07-2010, 10:17 PM
First off to correctly fix stress cracks in tubing you need to fully clean and grind paint/powder then you need to make plates to fully extend about 1"-2" past cracks then weld completely. would be best to plate all four sides of tubing at the point of cracks,

I would also recomend purchasing a pre made gusset kit as most of them will have motor mounts in them.

Pumashine
09-07-2010, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by profab250R
I would also recomend purchasing a pre made gusset kit as most of them will have motor mounts in them.

Where do you see these kits at for the trx250r? Let us know because members have been looking for months for this kit.

mxduner
09-08-2010, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Pumashine
Where do you see these kits at for the trx250r? Let us know because members have been looking for months for this kit. YEA! i been wondering why nobody has a kit for these machines. can someone point me in the direction in finding me 1 of these? they have to be around somewhere. i seen a kit that looked easy to replicate, just have no clue what it 'really' fits:huh maybe i can make it fit, i bet they come universal anyhow. Can someone help a brother out? oh it's an 88 frame if it makes a difference. oh yea also it is a honda trx250r if that helps

profab250R
09-10-2010, 07:39 AM
i saw a kit on ebay last week but is no longer there. the kit was going for $69 + shipping.

TLR-Online
09-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Pumashine's gusset kits are by far the best quality and price! You get a complete kit for the price of some other company's "basic" kit.

troybilt
09-10-2010, 09:49 AM
Pumashine, sorry to hijack, what color and paint did you use to paint that cylinder in the picture? Thanks, Troy

back to gusset kits... :D

Pumashine
10-10-2010, 06:32 PM
I've got an 88 frame with a broken lower left motor mount. Would it be better to have someone fab up another or find someone with a junk frame and have them cut one off to mount up?

I finally got around to building those lower-frame motor mounts.

http://i54.tinypic.com/20k7nrl.jpg

sameltoe
10-11-2010, 03:30 PM
You have a pm...

I would be interested in a gusset kit also if they work on 86/87...
paypal ready, Sam

Pumashine
10-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by sameltoe
You have a pm...

I would be interested in a gusset kit also if they work on 86/87...
paypal ready, Sam

Hey Sam my Pm's were full so shoot me another please. These brackets are not finished yet. The brackets appear to be rectangular but when mounted on the frame the stock ones are welded to the frame at an angle or not. It welds flush with the frame which is at an angle but the mounting holes are parralel to each other. They were made with hard tooling which costs big bucks. I am trying to copy with a simple brake press. Its going to take some more time until they are finished.

JM317 is going to try the first working set before anyone else will be able to get them.