PDA

View Full Version : Lectron or stock?

Dune Surfer
02-06-2003, 09:55 AM
I am building a 426 and would love to have a FCR....but can't really afford to buy one now. My question is would a Lectron be better then stock. I dont mind cleaning the lectron or spending the time to get it right. Used Lectron $125....new FCR $450.

02-06-2003, 10:25 AM
The Lectron is better than the stocker..:eek:

airheadedduner
02-06-2003, 10:31 AM
But the lectron has no accelerator pump and will not perform as well in low to mid and does not have as crisp of throttle response. But for top end power is flows big;)

Dune Surfer
02-06-2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks Rico, I know you don't like the lectron's.

JustRace
02-06-2003, 11:23 AM
The lectron actually makes less hp than stock up to about 6000 rpms. The lectron carb also makes more peak HP than any of the other carbs.

ChadEXer
02-07-2003, 11:00 AM
The Lectron doesnt make LESS power at low RPM's, but it is true that it doesnt make a whole lot more than the stocker. But on a dyno the 38mm Lectron makes more power than the 41mm FCR on top end!! I have a Lectron on my bike and havent had any problems with it. It runs great!! Wouldnt trade it for anything, especially a carb that cost 3 times more!!

rookiex
02-07-2003, 12:22 PM
edlebrock FRC....one or the other...

02-07-2003, 05:46 PM
when i build my motor up to a stroker 440 i plan to run a lectron. fcr's are way to expensive.

lilpoppy
02-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
The Lectron doesnt make LESS power at low RPM's, but it is true that it doesnt make a whole lot more than the stocker. But on a dyno the 38mm Lectron makes more power than the 41mm FCR on top end!! I have a Lectron on my bike and havent had any problems with it. It runs great!! Wouldnt trade it for anything, especially a carb that cost 3 times more!!

I think i have to agree with justrace in that the lectron makes less hp in the lower rpm's. I'm not positive but I read a shootout on the three carbs and one of them actually came in under the stocker in the lower rpm's but was the highest of all of them on the top end. I'm pretty sure it was the Lectron.

airheadedduner
02-07-2003, 11:41 PM
That test was with a full CT 440EX that won the WB Four-Stroke TT race in cali. The lectron made less HP then stock till the revs built up.

Martin Blair
02-08-2003, 12:12 AM
get a 38mm edelbrock

Dune Surfer
02-08-2003, 11:42 AM
edelbrock. got one for sale?

ChadEXer
02-10-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by lilpoppy
I think i have to agree with justrace in that the lectron makes less hp in the lower rpm's. I'm not positive but I read a shootout on the three carbs and one of them actually came in under the stocker in the lower rpm's but was the highest of all of them on the top end. I'm pretty sure it was the Lectron.
Well that may be right, but the point is the Lectron makes more power than all the competitors carbs, even 3 mm larger when the revs get up. Im not sure about you guys but it doesnt matter what kind of racing Im doing I very seldom find myself in the low RPM's,,,not only that the 400 had a helluva bottome end anyway, especially when you have a built motor,,,,so why would someone want to spend 3 times the amount for another carb?? makes no sense to me!!

BKVIEW4U
02-10-2003, 02:33 PM
so if you drag race and ride dunes and wide open riding the lectron is the way to go ? are the lectrons hard to tune?

ChadEXer
02-10-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by BKVIEW4U
so if you drag race and ride dunes and wide open riding the lectron is the way to go ? are the lectrons hard to tune?
Actually they Lectron is the easiest carb to tune made! All you have to do is turn the needle to jet it!! Very easy, and you dont even have to take the carb off the bike!!

BKVIEW4U
02-10-2003, 04:12 PM
chadEXer . you just made me buy a lectron . lol

toby400ex
02-10-2003, 04:37 PM
ill stick to stock, lol, i dont have any money anyway:(

lilpoppy
02-10-2003, 06:20 PM
Don't forget to tell him about all the linkage and all the modifications you have to make to your quad just to make it work. These guys are sugar coating this carb for you but there is a reason the FCR costs so much.

02-10-2003, 07:07 PM
Don't forget to tell him about all the linkage and all the modifications you have to make to your quad just to make it work. These guys are sugar coating this carb for you but there is a reason the FCR costs so much. casue it's overpriced. call up hetrick racing. they will set you up with a lectron. or tc racing can set one up for you. it took a whole team from kehin to set up and tune the fcr for the dirtwheels carb shoot out. tc just sent on down in a box.

lilpoppy
02-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by MX#132
casue it's overpriced. call up hetrick racing. they will set you up with a lectron. or tc racing can set one up for you. it took a whole team from kehin to set up and tune the fcr for the dirtwheels carb shoot out. tc just sent on down in a box.

Ha it took a whole team to set it up huh? How bout the team it takes just to install the lectron. The FCR you just pull the old one out and stick the new one in and run the cable right where the old one went. Pretty simple. After that it is just normal jetting which is nothing anyone else hasn't done before. I too believe it is overpriced but come on you are comparing apples to oranges.

2 QuicK
02-10-2003, 07:58 PM
Just modify the stocker.Sparks does it. I hear dollar for dollar it's just as good as a 39mm FCR.

02-10-2003, 08:01 PM
i just talked to diver a second ago and he said lectrons are good but fcrs are better but for the money he suggested i get the lectron. im in the same situation but i think im gonna get one

ChadEXer
02-11-2003, 08:29 AM
Ha it took a whole team to set it up huh? How bout the team it takes just to install the lectron. The FCR you just pull the old one out and stick the new one in and run the cable right where the old one went. Pretty simple. After that it is just normal jetting which is nothing anyone else hasn't done before. I too believe it is overpriced but come on you are comparing apples to oranges.
It didnt take a team to install mine?? Matter of fact it took me about 5 minutes to do it by myself! All you have to do is add a 1 inch spacer to the airbox! All you guys interested in getting a Lectron take it from me, a true owner and user of a Lectron, they are great carbs. When i built my 400EX I dint put a Lectron on it because it was the cheapest, If I was looking to save money my 400EX wouldnt look like it does now, I got it because one of the best engine builders in the world said its the only one to have,,,well I have to agree!!

Dune Surfer
02-11-2003, 08:46 AM
Chad,
I just bought a Lectron 38, I was wandering what you used for a spacer?

ChadEXer
02-11-2003, 08:50 AM
Well actually I was having a custom airbox made, so i just had him make it 1inch longer! You can use a piece of steel or anything that will space it and be durable!

Extremeracer167
02-11-2003, 09:00 AM
I think it all comes down to what type of riding he is doing. If you do trail riding and stuff like that, get the FCR. If you are just doing MX where u are wide open all the time, then get the lectron. The Lectrons have HORRIBLE low end. Its a turd, but when it comes on....IT COMES ON! But the same way with the FCR. Mine pulls sooooo hard its mind boggling. Yes the LEctrons are a pain in the ARSE to install, and personally i think they are a pain in the arse to jet as well. U can sit there for hours turning that stupid litle jet. When with my FCR if its a tad lean, just go up one size on the main jet. And im set to go, while your still turning the needle on the Lectron. And to say that the stocker with the mod is close to the FCR, is just rediculous! Not to mention the cleaning you have to do to the lectron. Sure u say that it wont bother you. But when you wanna hop on your quad and go for a ride, and the slide is all gummed up, then let us know if it wont bother you having to take it apart and clean it. Ill stick with the FCR. Afterall Keihin is the Honda of Carbs. Everybody wants one deep inside, cause they know you cant beat one!:D

Dune Surfer
02-11-2003, 09:02 AM
Some people have all the toys. Lucky Bast*rd

lilpoppy
02-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
I think it all comes down to what type of riding he is doing. If you do trail riding and stuff like that, get the FCR. If you are just doing MX where u are wide open all the time, then get the lectron. The Lectrons have HORRIBLE low end. Its a turd, but when it comes on....IT COMES ON! But the same way with the FCR. Mine pulls sooooo hard its mind boggling. Yes the LEctrons are a pain in the ARSE to install, and personally i think they are a pain in the arse to jet as well. U can sit there for hours turning that stupid litle jet. When with my FCR if its a tad lean, just go up one size on the main jet. And im set to go, while your still turning the needle on the Lectron. And to say that the stocker with the mod is close to the FCR, is just rediculous! Not to mention the cleaning you have to do to the lectron. Sure u say that it wont bother you. But when you wanna hop on your quad and go for a ride, and the slide is all gummed up, then let us know if it wont bother you having to take it apart and clean it. Ill stick with the FCR. Afterall Keihin is the Honda of Carbs. Everybody wants one deep inside, cause they know you cant beat one!:D

I couldn't agree more.

Dune Surfer
02-11-2003, 08:31 PM
lilpoopy, your kind of a snob. We all know the fcr is great, that wasn't the question. The question was if the lectron is better than stock. I'm trying to save some$$ to buy some shocks. I got a lectron for $150. If I don't like it no great loss, but if it helps me haul in the dunes it's cheap hp

02-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Good choice dune surfer:D

airheadedduner
02-11-2003, 10:13 PM
For $150 bucks you diffinatly got a great deal, even if you end up not liking it. Let us know how it works:p

lilpoppy
02-11-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
lilpoopy, your kind of a snob. We all know the fcr is great, that wasn't the question. The question was if the lectron is better than stock. I'm trying to save some$$ to buy some shocks. I got a lectron for $150. If I don't like it no great loss, but if it helps me haul in the dunes it's cheap hp

Ok dude you certainly are entitled to your oppinion but try paying attention next time. Someone stated a few posts back that the lectron actually made less hp than the stocker. Then someone disagreed. You following so far? Then I replied that i agreed that I to saw that the lectron made less hp than the stocker which someone else then backed up. Then all the Lectron owners started getting all butt hurt that we were saying this but all we were doing is stating the facts. We aren't saying that the Lectron isn't a good carb of coarse it is better than the stoc carb. So by now it has been days since I first subscribed to this thread that I can't even remember what the original post was about. All I have been doing is responding to the new posts which don't even involve you anymore. BKVIEW4U responded that he was going to buy the Lectron because someone said it was the easiest to rejet because everyone else in here has been talking about how great it was and I was simply letting him or her know that there are some things about the Lectrons that aren't all that great. I just bought the FCR carb and I spent about a month looking at all the pro's and con's of all three carbs so I'm trying to help him out by supplying him with the info that took me weeks to gather. I'm sorry but I thought people were on here to help other people out but I guess that just makes me a snob now. Whatever.

Evan
02-12-2003, 02:24 AM
I say stick with the stocker and jet up, but thats me. Im the type of person that if Im gonna do something I dont do it halfass, I do it right the first time, my mama always said 'if its worth doing its worth doing right' I have/had a FCR and its a great peice. Nothing could be better.

Im not one to dwell on hearsay, Ill let you know the facts. Yes the lectron makes good hp and is cheap thats the only thing going for it. To make full use of the carb, u must grind a hole in the throttle or replace it with something else. A freind of mine ground his and this lets water get in the throttle housing, which makes the cable stick, which in turn leads to a stuck throttle which almost killed him one day when riding. Not to mention its very finicky to jet, and u may not have to buy jets, but u may have to buy needles, the slide must be cleaned often. I have also witnessed a guy lose 2nd place due to the spacer setup, the seat will hit it and knock it loose sometimes leaving u with no carb. All in all its a great carb I recommend it if u have lots of time on your hands and dont race MX and dont ride in water and just want a carb to say you have a carb. Good luck.

ChadEXer
02-12-2003, 07:42 AM
I have to agree with Tom Calrson on this! 95% of problems with a Lectron are to to improper installation! Like the guy X-Rider said his seat knocked it off! Well the guy obviously didnt mount the carb correctly! There is no way My seat could knock my carb off! Yeah you may have to make an extra few adjustment to get the carb to work great, but hey, after saving $300 or more I have plenty of time to make my carb fit right!! I think the Lectron and FCR battle is similar to the battle between Tommy Hilfiger and Bugle Boy,,,just because Tommy costs more America assumes that the clothes are better,,,well fast is there made the same way!!! Everyone is under the impression if it costs more its better,,,well the fact is you usually get what you pay for, and the majority of the time the higher priced product is better, but thats not always true, in this case for example! The fact is both the FCR and the Lectron have their advantages and disadvantages,,,well when I considered that I noticed they were pretty close to tied on that situation, maybe as extra drawback to the Lectron having a few more installation difficulties, but when I noticed the Lectron made more power top end(Im a drag racer and thats the only place you will catch me)and it was less than half the price,,,well my mind was made up!!! Every "bad*****" drag bike you see runs a Lectron carb,,or two or three,,,,or 4!!!!! So you can see why the Lectron carb is the one for me,,,if the FCR floats your boat then thats cool,,,lets dont get in a pissin contest!!!

Evan
02-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Exactly,~~~~To Each his own

BKVIEW4U
02-12-2003, 07:12 PM
lilpoppy, i appreciaite the info . there is some great info here . im really torn now as which one to get . i hate my stocker . the lectron is cheap. but im not into custom fitting stuff. the fcr is alot. but it sounds like it fits great . and then sparks will bore your stocker. and ive heard the quicksilver is good too . i hate decisions

lilpoppy
02-12-2003, 07:33 PM
no problem man I'm only trying to help. Just to let you know I race my friend who has the exact sam mods as me except for the carb and I was winning by 6 lengths in a 200 yard drag pretty regularly. I would say that is worth the money.

DantheEXman
02-12-2003, 07:58 PM
Not to change the subject, But how are Edelbrock 39mm for low end, xc and trails... Comparable to the FCR in throttle responce and pulling power? Thanks alot.

Dan

JustRace
02-12-2003, 08:02 PM
edelbrock has a crap load of low end power. Also the throttle response is amazing and it has the accelerator pump and a choke. It was 3 degrees last time i started my 4-wheeler. I didn't even have to use the choke and it idled fine. This also was without charging the battery.