PDA

View Full Version : What else will I need if I install a stage 2 cam in my 400ex????

raykspradlin
09-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I have a 2001 400ex...nothin much done to it except a dyno jet kit for the carb and a new cdi box. I heard that a stage 2 cam will bump up the power, but i wanna find out if that's all I'd have to buy and install...or would I have to do other things to it if I install the stage 2 cam for it to run right???? Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated!!!!!

sneaky11
09-08-2010, 10:41 AM
U can just install just the cam if u want... but a set of kibblewhite valve spring is a something u can consider if u want best results with a performance cam. If u don't have any hi-flow air-filter, u're not gonna see a big difference, same thing for the exhaust... u can grind off the front pipe welds for less restriction (freebies)
A good porting job to fit ure style of riding is something I consider important even with no perf cam... there's so restriction in those cast head... just smoothing off the imperfection is something u notice!! While u get the top off, consider changing ure stock timing chain for a crf450 TC(less $$), or a HD chain(more $$)... u gonna need a new head cover gasket and molibden oil. Adjust ure valve correctly cause the stage 2 have tendancy to make ure valve knock a little bit but its not dangerous... consider all of this before going with a performance cam... there's a lot of easyiest mods to pump up the 400ex like a 450r 42mm carb, or better a 450r FCR carb for not really much than a cam... but u'll get more with this!!

honda400ex2003
09-13-2010, 08:35 PM
complete drop in cam. nothing needs to be changed or modded in the head for it to work. pretty much break it in and readjust valves to make sure they are good to go and you are set. i wouldnt suggest running a stage 2 on a stock compression engine but it is up to you. imo it drops the dynamic compression too much to see any real benefit, it could probably hurt it more than anything. stage 1 is where it is at imo. now if you were 11:1 it would be different. steve