PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to get sponsorship?

m0t0xk1d
09-07-2010, 12:50 PM
is it online like hookit or personally send a letter in the mail?

I feel like hookit you cant send a real resume. but when you send it in the mail you can send everything youve typed out?

so what your opinion and which way do you like better?

hondariderdylan
09-07-2010, 01:43 PM
do both, it cant hurt. the more they get from you the more it will show them that your determined.

Tommy Warren
09-07-2010, 02:35 PM
win races and let them come to you....

rollie
09-07-2010, 05:56 PM
You will get much more response if you print out a resume and mail it to the company your trying to get help from, you from NEATV so if you want pm me ill send you the outline of what i use and it could help you out:p

lasher45
09-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Proper spelling and grammar are a huge must when creating resume's. Sponsors do not want someone representing them who can not spell or use proper punctuation and grammar. Check, check and re-check if need be. Think of your resume as a first impression. If you spell half the words wrong and talk like a child then they will not even give you a second glance. Think of it like showing up to an interview in jean shorts and a tank top.

One last thing, try not to use conjuctions that often, it looks better than constantly using can't, it's, didn't and can make your resume look longer.

godzilla
09-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by lasher45
Proper spelling and grammar are a huge must when creating resume's. Sponsors do not want someone representing them who can not spell or use proper punctuation and grammar. Check, check and re-check if need be. Think of your resume as a first impression. If you spell half the words wrong and talk like a child then they will not even give you a second glance. Think of it like showing up to an interview in jean shorts and a tank top.

One last thing, try not to use conjuctions that often, it looks better than constantly using can't, it's, didn't and can make your resume look longer.

Great advice. I could not have said it better myself...

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=446561

dehner47
09-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
win races and let them come to you....

ya, cause your list of sponsors is off the hook. just joking with ya dude. trust me when i say, winnign races is not the only thing a sponsor looks for. it helps yes, but its not the main thing they are looking for. trust me on that...

csr250r
09-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Get a video of you doing a double backflip and send it to them. :o

dehner47
09-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by csr250r
Get a video of you doing a double backflip and send it to them. :o

for real?? dude comes on here asking for advice and help and your suppose to be a A class MX and Pro-am TT rider and thats the advice you give him. real professional..

your sponsors must be stoked with you..

TheIceMan
09-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by dehner47
trust me when i say, winnign races is not the only thing a sponsor looks for. it helps yes, but its not the main thing they are looking for. trust me on that...

What he said.
Acting and looking professional at the track are brownie points,regardless of your race results,along with being able to have a conversation with a potential sponsor and not sound like a complete imbecile.You can send as many resumes out as you wish to a company,but remember,nobody likes a pain in the @ss.

m0t0xk1d
09-08-2010, 04:01 PM
here ill post what i have...

I am writing to you requesting your sponsorship for the 2011 motocross season. I believe that I could be a very good addition to your team and/or company. I feel that I would never let you down and would always represent your company in a very positive way. I promise to advertise your products and company in every way possible that I could on and off the track. I can and will promote your company in a very good way and to the fullest of my ability and there would be a positive outcome. I will promise to talk about, mention, and thank your company in all speeches, press releases, points standings and where ever I can.
I started riding ATV’s when I was two years old. I have continued to ride and race ATV’s since then. I am now sixteen years old, which means I have 14 years of experience on ATV’s. I began racing in the season of 2003 in the Hemonds Moto X Racing Series. The very next year I rose to the top and took the championship in that very same series. I then took a break from racing until 2009 but never stopped riding. In 2009 I resumed racing but this time in the NEATV – MX Championship Series. I started racing partway through the season at Round 4 at MX338 in Southwick, Massachusetts in the Youth 200/300 C class. I finished eleventh overall out of twenty racers. After that race we decided that my ATV was not up to par, so it went under a full rebuild and missed the next few races. I returned racing at Round 9 at Mx207. After that race I became better very quickly and begin placing right out of the top five by Round 12.
This year, I currently am fourth in points in the Youth 200/300 B class. I have raced every race this season starting with Walden MX in Walkill, New York where I placed second. I have continued to place top five all season which holds my fourth place in points.
I am a very hard working kid with very high goals. I like to set very high goals for myself so I can continue to push myself to reach them. I try hard in everything I do and it shows in my racing and riding. I work hard for what I have and I appreciate everything that I do have. I train every day for racing because I like to see the results I get with myself and my racing that continue to get better the more I work harder and train harder. I attend Gray – New Gloucester High School five days a week where I also continue to work hard in my academics. I feel that my education is extremely important and will further me in life more than anything else. I take pride in what I do in school and what I do on the race track. I am very proud of myself and all of my accomplishments.
I currently race the Youth 200/300 B Class on my Honda 300ex. Next Year I plan to race Production B and 4 – Stroke B class. I feel my abilities will meet these classes well and I will accomplish my goals in them.

Racing History:
2003 – Hemonds Moto X Park Series, ATV Youth 90cc 5th Place Points
2003 - Hemonds Moto X Park Series, 50cc open 11th Place Points
2004 - Hemonds Moto X Park Series, ATV Youth 90cc 1st Place Points Series Champion
2004 - Hemonds Moto X Park Series, 65cc C 10th Place Points
2009 – NEATV – MX Championship Series, Youth 200/300 C 14th Place Points
Current Racing :
2010 – NEATV – MX Championship Series, Youth 200/300 B 4th Place Points
2009 Season Goals:
Get back into racing routine. Get back into the “feel” of things. Get at least one top ten finish. Ride as hard as I can, put in 100% every time, and do my best.
2009 Season Goal Results:
I finished the season out with 3 top ten finishes. I tried my hardest at all times and I improved very fast. Overall, I was happy at the end of the season with how I progressed.
2010 Season Goals:
Finish top 5 in points. Ride 100% in all races. Finish top 5 in races. Have Fun.
2010 Season Current Results:
Currently 4th in points, so I have accomplished my goal of top 5. I have finished top 5 in most of the races this year and I’m having tons of fun doing it.
2011 Season Goals:
Finish top 5 in points. Ride to my fullest. Train as hard as I can and have fun throughout the season. Practice more and practice harder to better my riding skills.

lasher45
09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
A few things you could add/change to make your resume better:

"After that race I became better very quickly and begin placing right out of the top five by Round 12"

Could be changed to "After that race my skills advanced quickly and I began to place right outside of the top 5 by Round 12"

"This year, I currently am fourth in points in the Youth 200/300 B class. I have raced every race this season starting with Walden MX in Walkill, New York where I placed second"

This one could be changed to "This year I am currently fourth in points in the Youth 200/300cc B class. I have managed to make it to every race thus far, starting with Walden MX in Walkill, NY where I placed 2nd.

"I am a very hard working kid with very high goals. I like to set very high goals for myself so I can continue to push myself to reach them"

This could also be changed "I am a very hardworking person with very high goals set in life. I tend to set high goals with the aim to constantly push myself to achive them."

"I train every day for racing because I like to see the results I get with myself and my racing that continue to get better the more I work harder and train harder"

Change to "I continue to train every day to reach a higher skill level. The more I train the more skill I obtain at riding and the harder/longer I am able to push myself during a race."

"I currently race the Youth 200/300 B Class on my Honda 300ex. Next Year I plan to race Production B and 4 – Stroke B class. I feel my abilities will meet these classes well and I will accomplish my goals in them"

Take out the first sentence since you have already mentioned you race in the Youth 200/300cc B class. Also try to mention what your GPA or average grade is. The higher, the better. Sponsors like to see people with high grades.

Also never say anything along the lines of "I can improve myself" or "I can train harder and push myself more" By saying you "can" do something shows some doubt. Instead say "I will improve myself" or "I will train harder and push myself to new levels."

Hope this helped!
Feel free to add anything I may have missed.

mxpimp2000
09-08-2010, 08:54 PM
depending on how you setup ur resume can determine how you will explain urself. I will post a section of my own but keep in mind sponsors will remember if they have already read a piece from someone's resume so i would not reccomend copying and pasting. mine isnt perfect and im sure it can use work.

Why the company should sponsor me: (brief section)

""In pursuing my long term goals of becoming a top pro level rider, Iam asking for your sponsorship or support in any possible way, shape, or form and in return, I would be more than happy to promote your companies products and display the companies logos, and stickers on me, my quad, truck, and trailer to show my support for the company and team for the 2011 season. As I prepare for the 2011 season I will focus mainly on the AMA/ATVA nationals moving into the production A and 450 A class division. I am extremely interested in becoming a part of your team and look forward to hearing from you""

Lasher
09-08-2010, 10:33 PM
The biggest thing a company is looking for is a return on investment.

What's in it for them?
Why should they sponsor you?

That is what you must sell to the company. Make each resume specific for the company. Your selling yourself as a spokesman for the company's product.

In my mind, there are two kinds of sponsorships...

Level 1 - You get a discount on their products. For example, the sponsorship will be you get a 30% discount on products you purchase.

Level 2 - You get actual products/cash. This is the big time sponsorships. For example, RPM gives you an axle for the sponsorship or pays money for podium finishes.

Getting sponsored by LRD or Smith goggles and getting a discount is great (level 1), but they are easy to come by with little effort. The Level 2 type sponsors are the cream of the crop and will require a lot of effort but worth it in the end. All depends on whether you want sponsorships for bragging rights or offset racing costs.

Also, once you have the sponsorship, keep in touch with the company. Let them know how you did after each week. Send pictures etc.

csr250r
09-09-2010, 12:27 PM
for real?? dude comes on here asking for advice and help and your suppose to be a A class MX and Pro-am TT rider and thats the advice you give him. real professional..

your sponsors must be stoked with you..

Well if you sent a video to someone of you doing a double backflip do you think you could get sponsored?

godzilla
09-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by csr250r
Well if you sent a video to someone of you doing a double backflip do you think you could get sponsored?

I would be impressed as hell....but I wouldn't sponsor you just for doing that.

dehner47
09-09-2010, 03:02 PM
what he ^^^^ said..

quad2xtreme
09-09-2010, 03:11 PM
photo copy the receipts from everything you bought last year and send those...

you will get a big sponsorship discount!

godzilla
09-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
photo copy the receipts from everything you bought last year and send those...

you will get a big sponsorship discount!

:confused:

quad2xtreme
09-09-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by godzilla
:confused:

Very few people are truly sponsored where they are given goods and an income. Most people get discounts for purchasing their "sponsors" products.

I am pretty sure Walsh would consider sponsoring me over the next guy if I let them know I was planning to buy 2 sets of a-arms, 2 steering stems, 2 swingers, 2 rear subframes, etc. as part of my deal. Just saying if you want to be sponsored by a big name, sell the fact that you will be buying product.

dehner47
09-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Very few people are truly sponsored where they are given goods and an income. Most people get discounts for purchasing their "sponsors" products.

I am pretty sure Walsh would consider sponsoring me over the next guy if I let them know I was planning to buy 2 sets of a-arms, 2 steering stems, 2 swingers, 2 rear subframes, etc. as part of my deal. Just saying if you want to be sponsored by a big name, sell the fact that you will be buying product.

ok. i see where your coming from with that. and i do agree with the "selling yourself" factor. cause you buying bulk amount of product from them def is a selling point. but there are alot more "professional" ways to go about doing that. explain,tell them that you have 2 complete race bike (or practice bike if thats what its used for) and you are planning on running all new "Walsh" components (your example) on both bikes for the up coming season and beyond. and it could really benifit us both by sponsoring me cause yada yada yada. trust me, that will work alot better then stapling receipts to your resume'. cause please remember everyone, a sponsorship is about being "professional". a sponsor is looking at you as an investment. they want a rider who is "professional" in all aspects of his or her game. from how his/her bike looks w/sponsor decal placement all the way to how he/she acts while talking to fans, friends, media, and other sponsors. a sponsor is "investing" alot into sponsoring a rider. and a sponsor is looking for maximun exposure from that rider. whether thats local races or on the national stage, sponsors want somebody who not only is up front racing, but someone who is there to help grow this sport and to help grow there products with this sport. so its not all about winning races, its about looking, acting, and racing "professional".

oh, and one more major part of sponsorship, it goes real far helping other riders/racers when they are looking for advice from experienced riders/racers. cause you can win as many races as you want, but if your a douche' in the pits.. no ones is gonna wanna sponsor you..

now remember, there are alot of details and "tips" i left outta there for a reason. cant give away all the good "tricks and tips" i've learned over my years of racing for everyone to read. haha so, anyone feel free to PM me and id be more then willing to help you guys/girls out with your resume's. trust me, i've done my far share.. good luck with next season and the sponsorship hunt everyone..

godzilla
09-10-2010, 07:50 AM

There are two problems with this:

1) Companies who approach sponsorship this way have killed what sponsorship was all about in the first place.

2) Nowadays, riders expect something for nothing. When I read in a resume that a rider wants to be sponsored and in return he will run my stickers on his or her quad, I want to slap them upside the head.

When you apply for sponsorship, apply to companies in which you are really interested in their products, not just who you think is going to give you the biggest discount. I can smell those applicants a mile away, and there is nothing more frustrating than having to "bargain" a sponsorship deal with a rider who is barely interested in my help in the first place.

Unfortunately, not all companies have a structured sponsorship program with specific criteria to evaluate the "value" of a potential sponsored rider, and sadly many good companies are falling victim to the " well I got a better deal from company XYZ" baloney even though the rider doesn’t like company XYZ.

You want to get sponsored? Then you need to sell yourself, just like you would on a job interview. Show the company you are applying to why that company wants you riding their product and representing you at the track. Provide references from other good companies that are sponsoring you like letters of recommendation. Companies want to know if you are a good investment for them.

( oh, and stop sending pictures of yourselves with your 20 foot high trophies. As impressive as it may look, organisations are giving away trophies now for racing shopping carts, so stop doing that please.)

dehner47
09-10-2010, 08:06 AM
^^^^^ more great advice.. hope you kids are taking notes. cause this is the info that could help you make it far in this sport...

godzilla
09-10-2010, 08:13 AM
^^^^^ more great advice.. hope you kids are taking notes. cause this is the info that could help you make it far in this sport...

Likewise with your post. Very well put, and I am sure the companies that sponsor you get their moneys worth.

Lasher
09-10-2010, 08:28 AM
I agree 100% on trying to get sponsors from companies that you want to use their products.

And I will add in, a company should not hear from you for the first time by asking to be sponsored! If you are using a companies product (or want to) there should be some communication prior to asking for sponsorship.

There is a local bike shop near my house. Small place but within 5 miles of my house. I started going there to get my oils and other stuff that I needed for racing. I talked to the owner and people working there all the time. Never mentioned sponsorship, discounts or anything. Just talked about stuff. To the point they know me by name. Sure, I may have to order something because they don't stock it but I do 90% of my purchases there.

Over time, the owner started giving me discounts. Things like..."here, 2-1 on tears" or if I pick up chest protector to look at it I hear "Give it to you for $70" when the price is over a hundred. Yes, I brought stickers from him early on (half naked girls on them) but never asked for a sponsorship. Now, I am getting bigger discounts all the time. Why...because I formed a relationship with the store / owner / staff.

Probably for next season I will "officially" ask him to be a sponsor for both me and my son (bragging rights for him really). Part of what I would offer is bring my quads to his shop (busy road) a couple Saturdays during the summer to sit out front and attract people. I will be there as well, maybe hand out flyers for an upcoming race (helping the series advertise). Be cool to have some pictures for little kids that stop by (act like a big shot) and sign them. (hey...could that work with advertising for a photo guy)...

See where I am going. Turn the tables on "asking for sponsorships" back to the company and say...."here is what I am willing to do for you as part of the deal".

And yes...stickers don't count.

dehner47
09-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Likewise with your post. Very well put, and I am sure the companies that sponsor you get their moneys worth.

thank you sir. and the same right back at ya.. just like you, i been at this game for a long time. and i have made a few mistakes over my years of racing and when it comes to sponsorship. ok, alot of mistakes, but the key is to learn from them and to never make those same mistakes twice. and if i can pass on the knowledge ive learned over the years of chillin with "professional" people, industy big wigs and pro riders by helping help riders not make the mistakes ive made.. then ive done my part to help grow this great sport we all love so much.

this sport is a give or take kinda sport. sometimes you gotta give some room out on the track in order to make up sometime or to make that pass.. and sometimes you gotta take that room away in order to make up time or to make that pass. just as with helping other out in the pits. ive been helped by many in this sport, so its only good karma that i return my knowledge to guys/girls who want to make it to the top..

and i will give EVERYONE on here one last piece of advice when it comes to sponsorship and all your racing careers.. and honestly, this is probably the most important tip ill give you.. NEVER EVER burn bridges.. cause we are a small sport. and someday, that bridge you burnt, might be the bridge that takes you to a factory ride..

dehner47
09-10-2010, 08:46 AM
very good point Lasher and a excellent tip. cause a sponsor doesnt have to come from "Walsh Race Craft" or from "Rath Racing". local dealers/shops are perfect to build a relationship with and learn how sponsorship actually works. cause local shops and dealers are hurting right now. so helping get there name out there and helping attract buisness to there shop is what a sponsorship is all about. so you local kids who feel you cant get sponsored cause you dont run the nationals or arent the best at your local series.. that is a perfect example.. cause you can help that local shop grow locally as well as starting to build a relationship with your local shop cause that will give you a chance to learn how this sponsorship game works and get a chance to meet other riders and racers who have been there before you and know what it takes to land a sponsorship from an industry style company. and if your in the right place at the right time, may possibly help you meet that rider rep from a major company. cause if your local shop owners knows your a good person, a good rider, and a good investment, then he might possibly pass on the word to his reps about the local kid who is looking for some help..

all in all... build a relationship with patential sponsors.. great advice..

godzilla
09-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Lasher

Probably for next season I will "officially" ask him to be a sponsor for both me and my son (bragging rights for him really). Part of what I would offer is bring my quads to his shop (busy road) a couple Saturdays during the summer to sit out front and attract people. I will be there as well, maybe hand out flyers for an upcoming race (helping the series advertise). Be cool to have some pictures for little kids that stop by (act like a big shot) and sign them. (hey...could that work with advertising for a photo guy)...

See where I am going. Turn the tables on "asking for sponsorships" back to the company and say...."here is what I am willing to do for you as part of the deal".

And yes...stickers don't count.

Great initiative !!! The interesting factor for the dealer in this situation is that by you displaying your quad with all the great products that you have purchased from him, you can easily direct customer right in to the store to buy the same products. Bring some of his business cards to the track with you as well so that people know where you purchased the products and attract more business for the dealer. That is what dealers and manufacturers want riders to do...attract business their way...become a salesman for the companies that sponsor you.

dehner47
09-10-2010, 09:01 AM
^^^^ thats another great word i didnt use that i deff should have used... "salesman".. cause thats what you are or trying to be... a 'salesman" or saleswomen" selling your sponsors product to local riders and racers, selling to the fans how good the product is and selling yourself to your sponsors on how great you are is what its all about .. not "selling yourself" in that kinda way you perverts. cause trust me, that doesnt work either. hahaha

godzilla
09-10-2010, 09:32 AM
^^^^ thats another great word i didnt use that i deff should have used... "salesman"..

...and sadly enough, I have RARELY seen or heard this word used by a rider looking for sponsorhip.

Young riders ( and old )out there need to have a better understanding of what sponsorship really is, because once you do, companies will want to work with you year after year. The rider that brings me business is a rider for life with me.

Lasher
09-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Sadly, kids today are just looking for a handout.

Working hard on racing (practice etc) is great for improving your riding but does nothing for sponsorships.

Working hard as an EMPLOYEE of the company that is sponsoring you is not on most riders minds. And when you are sponsored by a company, you are basically an employee.

Do you think a company would sponsor a top pro rider if they never signed autographs? Or acted like a jerk? Nope...

dehner47
09-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Lasher
Sadly, kids today are just looking for a handout.

Working hard on racing (practice etc) is great for improving your riding but does nothing for sponsorships.

Working hard as an EMPLOYEE of the company that is sponsoring you is not on most riders minds. And when you are sponsored by a company, you are basically an employee.

Do you think a company would sponsor a top pro rider if they never signed autographs? Or acted like a jerk? Nope...

more great advice. for real everyone. i hope you guys and girls are paying attention. cause this is the kinda knowlegde that can take years to understand and learn. you boys and girls are getting a front row seat to a "seminar" on how to get sponsored. and if your serious bout your racing, id be taking as many tips as us "oldheads" can dish out... not even joking..

godzilla
09-10-2010, 12:24 PM
more great advice. for real everyone. i hope you guys and girls are paying attention. cause this is the kinda knowlegde that can take years to understand and learn. you boys and girls are getting a front row seat to a "seminar" on how to get sponsored. and if your serious bout your racing, id be taking as many tips as us "oldheads" can dish out... not even joking..

We are probably the only three guys reading this.

:rolleyes: :D

m0t0xk1d
09-10-2010, 12:48 PM
im still reading. I love all the answers im getting and its really helping me out with my resume.

however i dont have 2 race bikes that need a full build. ill only have one and it will be a budget build, so telling them i plan on buy 2 sets of $1500 arms is out of the question.

dehner47
09-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by m0t0xk1d
im still reading. I love all the answers im getting and its really helping me out with my resume.

however i dont have 2 race bikes that need a full build. ill only have one and it will be a budget build, so telling them i plan on buy 2 sets of $1500 arms is out of the question.

thats ok. we were just using the "2 race bike example" as just that, an example. cause other dude stated he has gonna order parts for his 2 race bikes from Walsh and send in receipts. so if you only have one, that will work as well. you dont have to have a garage full of bike and practice bikes and what not. its about showing you are wanting to run there products and help get the name out to the public and on how good there products are. its all about selling yourself and what assets you bring to the table. budget build or full race rebuild, a sponsor is looking for that "professional" type guy who is willing to go outta his way to help other racers and who is it this for the long haul..

2 bikes, 6 bikes or one bike. honestly it doesnt matter. act "professional",. help others, post up good results, represent your sponsores well and the rest will fall into place..

PM your resume if you need any help. id deff be down to proof read it for ya and see if anyhting needs to be fixed or altered..

dehner47
09-10-2010, 01:49 PM
We are probably the only three guys reading this.

haha i was kinda thinking the samething.

hey, least our resumes will be "professional" :D

TheIceMan
09-10-2010, 04:48 PM
We are probably the only FOUR guys reading this.

There,fixed it :D

axellmusic19
09-12-2010, 07:01 PM
I have been thinking about this same topic and it really does help a lot to read through all this wonderful advice and guidance in the sponsorship world. I really appreciate your efforts on explaining all this. Thank you all very much. I too, look forward to gaining small sponsors for the 2011 XC season and now I know what it all relies on and how to convey myself to persons or companies.