PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with Checking out a quad

01400exMN
09-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Tonight I am headed to hopefully purchase a 2001 400ex tonight from a private party on craigslist. I have never had to purchase a 4 wheeler on my own and I will be tonight and I was hoping if someone would be able to tell me what are the main things that I can check for to ensure that I am getting a good machine. The details I know about the machine so far the only add-on parts that have been added are nerf bars, Motoworks Slip-on and aftermarket handlebars and also has brand new razor tires but on a week or so ago. He is asking 1800 firm for the machine and from the pics it does look in great shape. Any ideas on what to check for and if this is a fair price for the machine would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

NMills
09-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Well... for a value in your area... you can goto Nada.com and go thru like you would for a regular car... it'll give you a ball park idea anyways.... But things to look for....
Make sure the bike is cold and see how it starts... that way you can see how the engine does... check the frames.... all mounts... have the guy lift the rear end and wobble the rear tires and see if they wobble more then the rst of the machine... look for smoke coming out the tail pipe... ask if the tires lose air often... test drive it.. make sure all the gears are there... adn if he does not allow any test ride... there may be reasons for it... some people on CL are decent... and some are trying to pawn thier headaches off onto other... but remember it's a buy at your own risk... Take a buddy with you that knows anything bout wheelers... a second thought doesn't hurt... the more you know now will tell you if it's worth the money he wants... and even tho he wants to be firm on the price if you've got say 15-1600 bucks cash... he just might take it.... if it all checks out...

Now i'm sure i'm missing stuff... others will probably come up with more...

01400exMN
09-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the input I will try and get someone to come with me. Thanks again

zach0199
09-07-2010, 01:40 PM
I would check the air box make sure it isnt filled with dirt and what not, check the oil,plug, gas tank to make sure there is no debris or rust in it,check all the lights if there are any, sit on it and make sure the steering is realitively tight, like mentioned be for check the wheels for bearing and suspension play, ask if its jetted properly, drive it a few times through all the gears, go through the frame make sure nothing is covered up or hidden, check the wireing make sure there not hacked up, check the plastics if there busted up and scraped up real bad that will give you an idea of how it was riddin, when you fire it up i would make sure the engine is cold so you can see if its hard to start or not, ask if the motor has ever been torn into, check the chain and sprockets for even wear if they look like an ocean wave to the left or right they need replaced they should come to an even peak in the middle ... more people will hopefully chime in for you. I was in your position a few months ago its nice to have a list to refrence, no one likes to throw away a chunk a change like that. I picked mine up for 1400 and its in fair shape i have seen them as low as 1000 or so, so you may be able to do better if your not sold on this one

3400ben
09-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Most times you can tell how well he took care of it by looking around. Does his truck look like he beats it, is his garage a dump, this stuff reflexs alot on how good a shape it really is in. IMO

Ntensweapon
09-07-2010, 04:24 PM
All of the above plus check the steering stem. Also stand it up on the grab bar and check the frame to see if its straight.

I think 1800 is a little steep for what it is. Unless its near mint with low hours.

NMills
09-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Ntensweapon

I think 1800 is a little steep for what it is. Unless its near mint with low hours.

I do agree... i paid 1400 for my 04 earlier this year.... but it was pretty clean and still had every original part...

honda400ex2003
09-07-2010, 05:11 PM
ask about jetting also. see what he says about it. should have around a 150 or 155 in it with just the slip on. probably a 155, if it has not been jetted or is not jetted right find out why it may be off. it may have a kit in it like a dj kit. if he knows how to do jetting he may have done a bit more from a kit like a dj it would have a 148 or 150 dyno jet in it. these are in fact different than regular hense the different size numbers. it would be around a 138 or 142 main. I would say that if it is jetted with a kit and has actually been jetted correctly from this could be cause for looking at a plug also to see how it is running. i wouldnt want a lean 400 for risk of piston ring damage along with other heat factors. if he has done the work himself and doesnt know when the oil was changed last or how it is jetted i would be leary of it. otherwise, look around at cars and such too. see if they are in good shape and maintained. cars show how people really take care of their machines imo. dirty car could mean dirty machine that has been cleaned up to sell. it is easy to spray on some armor all and use some good cleaning supplies to get crud off. the rest is also good to consider :D good luck with the sale. get a bill of sale also and the registration card signed by both parties if you have it in your state. often it is good to have 2 copies of the bill of sale, one for each. steve

250ex_dan
09-07-2010, 05:26 PM
check 4 any rust on the bottom of the frame and see if it is all beat up or not.

3400ben
09-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by 250ex_dan
check 4 any rust on the bottom of the frame and see if it is all beat up or not.

Check it for arm pit hair. Lol

vaget22
09-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Everything above is good info. Another thing I look at is where your boots rest. Look for wear in the paint at the points where your boots rub. No or little wear kind if indicates less use. Also look at the bolt heads around the bike. If you see a bunch that are rounded off, whoever has been working on it might be a little sketchy.

01400exMN
09-08-2010, 06:10 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the great ideas they were very helpful. I went to look at machine and this thing was in mint condition not even scratches on factory plastic, you could tell that he took very good care of the machine. He had the owners manual along with the repair manual, along with stock exhaust and he had the mmaintenance records going back the three years he owned it. I could not believe the amount of power this machine had compared to my old warrior and it rode smooth, all the bearings appeared to be in good shape. There were a couple of spots of surface rust on the frame that I plan on cleaning up within the next week or so. I will get some pics uploaded later today. Thanks again for all the great input.

hondanator
09-08-2010, 11:25 AM
congrats on your purchase. i just bought mine not to long ago and love everything about it