PDA

View Full Version : New shocks

woodsridn400
09-06-2010, 07:46 PM
so i bought a set of so called slightly used xc shocks that were revalved and sprung for a 170 rider plus the xc gt thunder link. Just tried them out today and what a difference it made. My questioin is a couple of times my front end bottomed out, now my shocks didnt i just hit the bottom of the frame. Now does that usually happen with aftermarket shocks or do they need to be revalved. BTW i am about 180 and figure that could be it. wanted some advice before i sent them away thansk

slightlybent47
09-07-2010, 06:31 AM
It depends, try adjusting the shocks first, depending on the size of the jump and how you land, any shock will bottom out. But if the shocks are working rite and adjusted properly they should not bottom out much unless you land hard in a big jump. This applies to the front more then the rear, the rear should never feel like it’s bottoming out, if it dose get it looked at. Play with the settings first and see what you can do with that before you re valve. It takes a lot of trial and error to get them adjusted properly.

dustin_j
09-07-2010, 10:44 AM
I disagree, you should lightly bottom on the hardest landing you will encounter; therefore, you're using all of your travel. I wouldn't consider a revalve until you check to make sure the extended and compressed lengths are correct, and your springs are correct. Otherwise, you're chasing your tail.

Your front compressed lengths are wrong on the shocks you just bought. Your frame should never hit before your shock bottoms. Make sure your tires are aired up, then remove shocks and place your quad on 1.5" stands (put 2x4's under the frame). Measure center to center distance between front shock mounts. It'd be worth while to measure the same on the rear. Also, you could put your quad on a 12" stand and measure extended length (with shocks off). Now measure your shocks extended, then measure the length of shaft showing (shaft travel, ignore bottom-out bumper). Shock extended length - shock shaft travel should equal the compressed length measured on your from. Your shock compressed length will measure less than the frame; hence your issue. Your shocks will need to be modified to prevent poor ride and posible frame damage.

Hope this helps.
Dustin