PDA

View Full Version : Garage floor coatings?

Kickstarts-suck
09-06-2010, 06:06 PM
What garage floor coatings are the best?

We used the rustoleum garage coating and the first side turned out good but the other side looks like crap..

Dirt sticks to it very easily and the thing I hate the most is its SLIPPERY!

Ive had quite a few close calls when some water gets on it. Last night I slipped and slammed my shin on the side of my truck..

What does everyone else recommend doing about this?

Should I go over it with something else?????
Pull it up and redo it with another product?
Paint over it?

CJM
09-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Any coating I have ever seen was slippery unless it has bits of rubber like truck spray on liners tend to have.

The foam things you put down on the floor are no better.

In HS the autoshop had a painted floor and the same thing happened.

3400ben
09-06-2010, 08:54 PM
You could try putting sand in the paint. Just a little sand will go along way

1fastR
09-07-2010, 07:32 PM
everything you would want to know about floor coating or anything else garage related is right here, lots of reading

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Kickstarts-suck
09-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Thank you sir.

TCracin440ex
09-08-2010, 09:26 AM
we bought our kit from lowes its the quikrete brand, turned out really nice. we had to acid the floor with muratic acid and get it clean and then we painted it and put the sprinkles down when the floor was wet, then clear coated it.

here are a few pics, it really dont do it justice it looks lots better in person
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z254/OneBaddAssZ71/004-28.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z254/OneBaddAssZ71/003-25.jpg

http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z254/OneBaddAssZ71/002-28.jpg

dehner47
09-08-2010, 09:40 AM
me and a buddy just redid the garage we rent and used the 'U coat it" stuff. worked awesome. was a bit expensive, but well worth it.

ive used alot of diff brands over my years of racing and fixing up race shops. and all products work well. just depends on if you wanna do a "budget over haul" or if you wanna spend the money and get "the good stuff". you can buy a can of concrete paint for $20-$30, or can spend a few hundred and get top of the line stuff. just figure what you budget is and go from there. but remember, just like everything, its all in your prep.. prep prep prep... and when you think its clean and preped for paint, clean it again. you will be happy you did. cause remember, no matter how much you spend on the "coating", it will not stick if the floor is not cleaned first..

no matter what brand you use, you will be so shocked and happy you decided to do something. makes your shop cleaner, brighter, nicer and makes it feel like a real race shop. good luck with it, and post up some pics. would love to see the outcome of your project..

CJM
09-08-2010, 10:25 AM
my gripe is they are usually slippery and my garage has the hole they stupidly pour for a lolly column and then filled in after we showed them the huge I beam we were gonna use instead.

The floor in that spots mighty frigged up and aside from chipping it and laying a new layer Im not sure wtf to do. Honestly the floors cracked as well so it probably needs a whole new topcoat, not to mention the zillion oil stains Im sure will comeup but will suck and be tedious.

250rAL
09-09-2010, 08:06 AM
I always wondered what happens in the winter when you pull in with snow on your tires. New back door?

dehner47
09-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by 250rAL
I always wondered what happens in the winter when you pull in with snow on your tires. New back door?

thats simple.. just dont come "skirtinnn" in there like its the Baja 1000. if you drive like a normal dude into your garage, you should have no trouble parking without making a new back door..

ive has several race shops over my 30 years of life. from my fathers racing shops when i was growing up to my race shop/man cave now adays, and i have never had a problem coming to a stop on the painted floors. im sure some of you "Kyle Busch" style drivers may have, but if you drive how you should be driving, there should be no issue at all...

Kickstarts-suck
09-11-2010, 01:29 AM
Well my dad ended up going back to Lowes and getting some garage floor paint and some non skid stuff and rolled over the last stuff. He had it all done by the time I woke up.. Looks just like it did before but not slippery now. :)

QuadR8cer12
09-13-2010, 09:58 AM
here is the garage floor I did in the new Moore FMX shop

QuadR8cer12
09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
This is an acid stained floor.

QuadR8cer12
09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
work stations

dehner47
09-13-2010, 10:57 AM
^^^^^ now thats what im talkin about. that shop looks sick. im really digging the floors..

austin, you deff have a talent my good friend..

QuadR8cer12
09-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Its going to look even better when I finish cutting this into the floor!!

its hard to see the pic of caleb in the template also that I will be cutting in the floor, its a shot of him doing a seat grab

QuadR8cer12
09-13-2010, 11:35 AM
http://texasconcretestain.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/moore-fmx-custom-logo-concrete-engraving.jpg

you can see what the logo looks like better here

C. Lindsey #18
09-17-2010, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by dehner47
thats simple.. just dont come "skirtinnn" in there like its the Baja 1000. if you drive like a normal dude into your garage, you should have no trouble parking without making a new back door..

im sure some of you "Kyle Busch" style drivers may have, but if you drive how you should be driving, there should be no issue at all...

Bahahaha!

CJM
09-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Thats awesome, does that entire loft come down or something???

HondaRacing83
09-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by QuadR8cer12
http://texasconcretestain.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/moore-fmx-custom-logo-concrete-engraving.jpg

you can see what the logo looks like better here never realized you were on here austin?im friends with you on fb and talk to you alot

HondaRacing83
09-17-2010, 06:53 PM
line-x the floor,you'll never have any problems stopping.or slipping on it or beating the floor up

BrokenFenceFilm
09-17-2010, 06:58 PM
without a doubt you have to get Racedeck. we put this stuff on my garage floor 4 years ago and i love the stuff. you can fully customize any pattern you want to match your garage floor. if you get the locked tight style nothing get through it at all and it is the easiest thing ever to clean. i swear by this stuff man its the best. plus say you crack or wear out a part of the floor, no problem you just get a new brick so you never have to replace the whole floor again, good luck breaking it tho i havent even put a scratch into mine yet. pretty easy to put together too. youll be happy with this stuff they got a ton of pics on the website too i just dont happen to have any of mine on this computer anymore

http://www.racedeck.com/

Grizz660
09-17-2010, 11:18 PM
I used to work at a paint store and my father is a painter. If you want I can call the store tommorrow and ask what they reccomend. I'm pretty sure we carried the rustoleum product.