PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work with cabinets

JJs450r
09-06-2010, 05:47 PM
I bought a house at the beginning of the year it was built in the 70s. The cabinets I believe were built with the house. They have a bad odor coming from them. There isn't any water damage or any thing what can I do to rid the smell. Replacing isn't an option right now. Thanks

derekhonda
09-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Has to be something, mold probably most likely. Would painting them be an option? I would get a kilz primer coat which should kill any mold/odor and seal it up. Then get a good covering quality paint in the color of your choice and spruce up your kitchen a little bit.

yellowzo3
09-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Yeah repainting or restaining them may work.

Do they have those "linings" or whatever in the bottom? You know, those nasty puke green and orange flower sheets that go on the bottom of the shelves? If so, they may be smelling it up a bit.

But yeah, 40 year old cabinets will at least need an intense cleaning inside and out.

Maybe put a few of those small boxes of baking soda inside the cabinets as well?

JJs450r
09-06-2010, 06:04 PM
It's coming from the inside and there isn't what I can see any mold or anything. What about a good stain and polyurethane

JJs450r
09-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Ya they actually have the orange flower lining

CJM
09-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Remove any liners inside, scrub with a bleach/water solution of 25% clorox to 75% water. This should kill any mold or such..

Then see what happens, if it continues to stink then its stuck in the wood and you may have to prime with killz and repaint the inside.

JJs450r
09-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Alright thanks. Ya I just got done scrubbing with bleach so hopefully this helps

09-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I do countertops and we see alot of mold behind cabinets, Most laminate tops if thats what you have dont seal to good from backsplash to top. and alot of stuff will get behind and damage your walls with mold. That is if you have a back to your cabinets and its not just faces, Otherwise a good cleaning with bleach and when there painted / stained that should take care of it.