PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the full exhausts poll

tEXas400
09-05-2010, 10:42 PM
I know they say its the most expensive worthless upgrade, but im positive certain full exhaust systems offer some gains

or atleast allow for more gains, so i wanna see whats the best route to go on this by hearing yalls opinions

ish416
09-05-2010, 11:43 PM
I have ran a slip-on FMF Powercore 4, a full FMF system (same Powercore 4 with a powerbomb header), full Big Gun and full White Bros E series.

The best result that I have came up with is an FMF Powerbomb header and a White Bros E series slip-on.

tEXas400
09-06-2010, 12:37 AM
ah so a little combo gave you the best, that sucks that you cant vote for two

i always heard yoshimura was the best, i had a big gun exhaust and i sold it and bought a full yoshimura

bherriman
09-06-2010, 08:06 AM
LRD makes really nice stuff, but you pay for it. FMF is affordable and gives you some HP gain while sounding really good.

NMills
09-06-2010, 08:36 AM
I happy with my WB R4.... but then again... i don't have the time and money to try them all out...

jcs003
09-06-2010, 09:07 AM
i remember in the dirtwheels shootouts yoshi and sparks always were on top.

trxPOWER
09-06-2010, 09:21 AM
why isnt ct racing on there?

tEXas400
09-06-2010, 09:36 AM
there was a few exhausts i wanted to put in the poll, but i only had 10 options so i just went with the first ten i typed in

tri5ron
09-06-2010, 10:21 AM
We've done this at least 100 times, LOL!!!
just google "400ex shootout" and you get all kinds of hits.
here's a example of what a single seach found......

01-29-2001, 11:47 PM
paulgsch
Trailblazer
My Garage Join Date: Apr 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys here is the big shootout everyone has been waiting for. This was done by Dirt Wheels and are slip on pipes with spark arrestors only, for a 400ex. Machine had airbox lid removed, K&N air filter and a 155 main jet (varied by pipe but most a 155).

Best peak HP:
1. White Bros. E-Series
2. CT Racing
3. Yoshimura RS-3
4. Pro Circuit T-4
5. Big Gun (standard core)
6. White Bros. R4
7. Graydon
8. Honda (stock pipe)
9. Stroker SX1
10. FMF Power Core
11. Big Gun (quite core)

Best bottom HP (4000rpm):
1. CT Racing
2. Pro Circuit T-4
3. Stroker SX1
4. Graydon
5. Yoshimura RS-3
6. Big Gun (standard core)
7. Big Gun (quite core)
8. White Bros. R-4
9. White Bros. E-Series (but highest at 3500rpm)
10. FMF Power Core
11. Honda (stock pipe)

Best overall:
White Brothers E-Series (produced the most power, had best finish, tunable, and was one the the quitest)

The White Bros. E-Series and the CT Racing tied for the most HP.

My comments:
I would recomend the CT Racing pipe for racing or competing because it is a high HP pipe but also the loudest and the most heavest of all the pipes. The White Bros. E-Series would be just as good and quiter though.

Don't even bother with the FMF Power Core. You should stick with your stock pipe if you were considering this pipe.

Oh and if ya didn't get this issue it was the March 2001 issue of Dirt Wheels.

coreyflipp
09-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Cobra is the best but it's not on there, so I went with second best which is DG.

Thumpin
09-06-2010, 11:38 AM
When I got my 400ex, it came with the WB e-series slip-on, I built my 416 and it worked well with that set up, but traded that WB pipe for a set of rims and paddles. Searching for more power I bought the CT Racing Midrange full exhaust, and it was very powerful in the mid to topend of the rev range, but made the engine lazy on the lowend of the powerband. CT makes a very, very nice full exhaust system, and came with a needle and jet kit for the same money other full systems cost!

So latly I went back to the stock header with the welds ground out, and a DMC comp slip-on in search for a more torquey engine, the craftmanship is very good, with allen bolts on the end to make repacking easy. It sounds healthy and alittle quieter than the CT system. I haven't got a chance to ride the sand or trails yet but just around the yard it feels more torquey. I'll let everyone know what I liked best after some good ride time.

bherriman
09-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
We've done this at least 100 times, LOL!!!
just google "400ex shootout" and you get all kinds of hits.
here's a example of what a single seach found......

01-29-2001, 11:47 PM
paulgsch
Trailblazer
My Garage Join Date: Apr 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys here is the big shootout everyone has been waiting for. This was done by Dirt Wheels and are slip on pipes with spark arrestors only, for a 400ex. Machine had airbox lid removed, K&N air filter and a 155 main jet (varied by pipe but most a 155).

Best peak HP:
1. White Bros. E-Series
2. CT Racing
3. Yoshimura RS-3
4. Pro Circuit T-4
5. Big Gun (standard core)
6. White Bros. R4
7. Graydon
8. Honda (stock pipe)
9. Stroker SX1
10. FMF Power Core
11. Big Gun (quite core)

Best bottom HP (4000rpm):
1. CT Racing
2. Pro Circuit T-4
3. Stroker SX1
4. Graydon
5. Yoshimura RS-3
6. Big Gun (standard core)
7. Big Gun (quite core)
8. White Bros. R-4
9. White Bros. E-Series (but highest at 3500rpm)
10. FMF Power Core
11. Honda (stock pipe)

Best overall:
White Brothers E-Series (produced the most power, had best finish, tunable, and was one the the quitest)

The White Bros. E-Series and the CT Racing tied for the most HP.

My comments:
I would recomend the CT Racing pipe for racing or competing because it is a high HP pipe but also the loudest and the most heavest of all the pipes. The White Bros. E-Series would be just as good and quiter though.

Don't even bother with the FMF Power Core. You should stick with your stock pipe if you were considering this pipe.

Oh and if ya didn't get this issue it was the March 2001 issue of Dirt Wheels.

I am going to have to call BS on that dirt wheels shoot out lol. FMF definitely does not make the most power out of these exhausts, but there is no way it makes less power than the stock pipe. For one thing how is it even possible for a free-er (or however you spell it lol) flowing exhaust that is jetted properly make less power than the restrictive stock pipe? doesn't make since to me. Second off I have ran both pipes on my bike and there is no comparison. The fmf makes much more power.

tEXas400
09-06-2010, 04:13 PM
ya that seems kinda like a bogus thread, stock pipe ahead of the others, imma call B/S

honda400ex2003
09-06-2010, 07:31 PM
:rolleyes: 10 is the worst here guys... fmf is at the low end of both of them. the quiet cores of the past were very limiting and hurt hp on exhausts. go to ctracing.com and see all of the dyno charts for each of the exhausts listed. for 330+ an fmf powercore is a waste. maybe some of the newer ones are better( not really maybe, they are) as for some others on this thread, no offense, but dg is not on the list for a reason, along with cobra. sorry bout that. anyway for those who dont want to try to find the facts, ill give it to you,

http://www.ctracing.com/PD_ct%20photos/dirt_wheels_march_2001.htm

they were all done on the same dyno, same sniffer, same 400ex, same day, same everything as possible. they were all tuned to best performance using the sniffer and dyno, even after what the manufacturer suggested as a general guideline.

http://www.smilieshq.com/smilies/sign0109.gif (http://www.smilieshq.com)

steve

honda400ex2003
09-06-2010, 07:38 PM
the list of all of the exhausts for the seeking eye.

http://www.ctracing.com/PD_ct%20photos/DW_march2001_pg4.jpg

steve