PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a rod and crank bearings.

beck125
09-05-2010, 01:26 PM
ok well i dropped an oil ring, and it needs a fresh hone and new rings she just started smoking pretty bad last week, I tore down the motor and i am taking in the cylinder to get her honed out for the 440. any ways. i guess i noticed that the wrist pin from the piston is sloppy in the rod, its not like a hotdog in a hallway but it has a little bit of play, so im ok with going in and putting in a new rod and i mine as well do the bearings on the crank while im at it. How should i go about replacing these? From what i hear the lower end on the 400s are hell... Any tips or hints on how to go about doing this would be amazing.
Jordan

togup
09-06-2010, 08:05 PM
when you take the cases apart clean the bolt heads with a degreaser or carb cleaner then number them in a clockwise pattern and use wire to put all the shaft parts on ,in the order you took them off . oh yea, get a manual youll definitely need it!

coreyflipp
09-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Just buy a new crank. By the time you buy the parts to rebuild it and have it pressed apart, installed and re-trued it would cost as much as a new crank.

The only time rebuilding a crank would be cheaper is if you had the tools and knowledge to do it yourself.