PDA

View Full Version : 06 ltr engine noise

niceraxx
09-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I have an 06 ltr.In the woods on the last ride it started making a noise loud enough to hear while riding and helmet on.It sounds like the cam chain is slapping on the cases.You can only hear it at idle/low rpms.When going down hill using the engine for speed control the noise is not there.I removed the cam chain tensioner and it seams to be working fine. At the beginning of the season I had the valve clearance and cam chain tension checked and they were good.This was only 5 or 6 rides ago. I cannot tell a power differance, it still runs strong. I installed the shift pin kit march 2009.
Is this the 3rd gear problem? 3 rd gear seams to work fine.
The noise pitch changes with clutch in-out sitting still at idle but is still there
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
I don't have any place close to ride (the wayne forest is 3hrs away) so dependability is very important to me.
where would be a repair shop close to 44256 medina ohio that would know what they are doing with an ltr with these symptoms?

IdahoMX
09-04-2010, 02:11 PM
MIne did this, Found the oil pump gear was shredded and almost seized the engine. Pulled the top end and found all the Nicosil was worn off parts of the cylinder. New oil pump gear,piston,cylinder and back in buisness

niceraxx
09-04-2010, 02:40 PM
After the noise started I rode another 2-3 hrs and the noise did not change.I was that deep in the woods. It still runs and sounds the same as when the noise started.
If it were the the oil pump gear wouldn't the noise changed ,the engine blew ,loss of power, something?
What does going downhill engine braking have to do with the noise?
I'm not being a smart *** I just want to avoid exploratory repairs

Limited Z_400
09-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I would check the crankshaft nut to see if it loosened off. This nut is on the right side. You can remove the clutch cover or the side cover to check it out. If you remove the clutch you can see the nut. It is left hand threads so the nut will be loose but still on the shaft,also check the springs on the back of the basket for wear.(not the tension spring on the front of the clutch). Hope this helps.

niceraxx
09-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Tore apart the clutch first because it's the most accessible. It has a hinson clutch basket and the bolts holding the springs in the back plate had worked themselves loose.The previous owner/installer did not locktite them. Hope this helps someone in the future

mcginty33
09-11-2010, 09:32 AM
This same thing happened to me at Red Bud Mx national this year. Ended up I broke 3rd gear...big suprise. But the gear didnt separate...part of it just broke off and ruint my new cp piston and cylinder. Hope yours isn't as serious. Good luck