PDA

View Full Version : ds450 or ltr450?

rummerd
09-04-2010, 11:33 AM
I am getting back onto quads. I got rid of my 07 LTR a couple of years ago and just concentrated on riding my CRF450. I liked the LTR, but was always worried about the tranny because it constantly whined. I am looking at a nicely built 08 ds450, has extended arms, wider axle out back, honda hub and brake (I think) and a Ron Woods kit on it. Also, looking at a nicely set up 08 LTR. Which is a better machine? Price is about the same. Looking for honest opinions here, not brand bashing.
Thanks.

florentino
09-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by rummerd
I am getting back onto quads. I got rid of my 07 LTR a couple of years ago and just concentrated on riding my CRF450. I liked the LTR, but was always worried about the tranny because it constantly whined. I am looking at a nicely built 08 ds450, has extended arms, wider axle out back, honda hub and brake (I think) and a Ron Woods kit on it. Also, looking at a nicely set up 08 LTR. Which is a better machine? Price is about the same. Looking for honest opinions here, not brand bashing.
Thanks.

it depends what kind of riding you are doing. i really like to keep motors all stock other then a pipe.
once you have a race motor things are going to break.
i would buy the atv with the less hours. and less mods on the motor

TNT
09-05-2010, 06:14 AM
I don't know much about the 08 LTR but was the first year for the DS and unless you have done your homework which is all over this site to understand all the issues/bulletins/etc with the DS I'd stay away from it.

09RappySe
09-05-2010, 06:30 AM
To me, LTR hands down. IMO it is better built, handles way better and is faster.

TNT
09-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by 09RappySe
To me, LTR hands down. IMO it is better built, handles way better and is faster.

If you can get past the third gear risk which is major, the DS has issues w/ the third gear too in 08 but it was fixed in 2009. I know a national pro-am mx ltr racer that replaces his after every race, and seen rec riders have on-going issues even with the after market gear, been going on and getting worse in 09/10.....thats rediculous!...I'd stay away from it too.

09RappySe
09-05-2010, 08:56 AM
I drag race mine often and have had no issues with the trans whats so ever, nor do the 4 or so others I race with, I know the 07 had trans issues, although I have not, but I am told there is a simple fix for that issue, I have not bothered with it since I have not had any issues. But to each their own.

florentino
09-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by rummerd
Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCfL3ZJL1zg

here is a vid from me on the can am look how i take the turns vs the ltr.
this was 2009 on my ds i got 3rd i could not make the ds turn good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgrmLFl-xMw

this time 2010 on a bone stock ltr i did way better i beat 2 yfzs that i clould not do las year. ist the same track same guys. this is not the race but i did won. look how easy it is to control the ltr. i could take any line.

TNT
09-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by 09RappySe
I drag race mine often and have had no issues with the trans whats so ever, nor do the 4 or so others I race with, I know the 07 had trans issues, although I have not, but I am told there is a simple fix for that issue, I have not bothered with it since I have not had any issues. But to each their own.

Thats why I said "risk".....one could draw the same conclusions about the DS, there are 1000's that never see it's issues, we only see them out here since ppl come here for solutions. Tolerances are funny that way and unpredictable... You mentioned handling, another opinion as you are entitle to......many say the DS is the best handling quad out there.....some of the shorter riders prefer the LTR since it has more weight and momentum, stability and control in corners, but the taller riders can maniplate the DS with thier body. I'm not a rider so I won't pretend I know.

blaster99
09-06-2010, 04:40 AM
I came from a fully long travel set up LTR, to a stock XMX Can-am, and the Can-am will out handle the suzuki on every part of any track. There is just no comparison in the handling department, none at all. For power... well the suzuki will probably make a little more power, but it will come at a cost, just like if you were to build the can-am. Honestly a slip on motoworks pipe, lid off, pink wire cut, and BCS Intake will give you plenty of power. If you need more than that, give BCS a call, they can make some pretty reliable power.

Re1skA
09-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Ltr450 08-10 is biggest piece on s..t ever made. Tranny problem after tranny problem. I broke 3 rd gear three times in 68 houers including atp billet gears.. Stay away Ltr 08-10. Avoid them like std:scary:

805ds
09-09-2010, 05:18 PM
I have a 2008 DS 450x
This quad has over 3000 miles of Baja prerunning,numerous baja rides,used it to prerrun CODE races,towed my buddy thru the salt flats,his about 250lbs on a 2004 Ds 650x!
I towed him over 30 miles on 100f weather!!!
Only issue I had was a slight overheating due to a loose relay,thats why I have a temp gauge!!
No clutch issues,overheating,noises,limp mode,etc.
It has a motor works slip on,modified lid,cut pink wire.
Knock on wood its been a great ATV!
So like they say!! Its your choice!!!
2008 Can am DS 450x
2006 Bombardier DS 650x
2004 Bombardier DS 650x
2002 LOBO Xr 650 on the works!!!:D

hrc450er
09-10-2010, 05:36 AM
of course the ltr is going to take turns better it is 49 or 50 inchs wide compared to the 46 inch wide ds 450. each brand has their lemons. i know some who have went threw a couple gears while others have not replaced any at all. and ds's have had their fair share of probs. but if the ds was an 08 dont get it.

morgan#53
09-10-2010, 09:39 PM
go with the ds its by far the best handeling bike and very durable if you keep up on the mantinence. most people are having problems with the frame cause they dont keep the bolts tight and your going to have problems with any motor on the market if your racing on it.