PDA

View Full Version : Massachusetts bans kids from riding ATV's!!!

JGlaze
09-04-2010, 10:09 AM
I live in Mass and am pretty saddened by this ridiculous law passed by Deval Patrick on the 31'st. As you can read in the link, this was passed by completely oblivious people who have know idea what they are talking about!!

http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2010/09/mass-first-to-ban-atvs-for-kids-under-14/

Black Sheep
09-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Sad day indeed. It will only get worse.

88redrocket
09-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Wow this state and its governer really sucks. Good thing my daughter and I ride on private land.

250ex_dan
09-04-2010, 01:14 PM
thats sad that it had to come down to this
the parents should be supervising their kids when they ride and take the keys with them if the kid is going to be by themselves at the house.
Its up to u to take care of them

ryan243
09-04-2010, 01:50 PM
This disgusts me. That's all I can say

rbgnwa45
09-04-2010, 02:30 PM
ATVs don't kill children. Misuse of operation, which is supposed to be taught by the parents, kills children. There are more adults being injured than children, so why don't they just ban all ATVs? Why is an injured child worse than an injured adult?

ryan243
09-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Be careful asking that question, it might just happen.

250x_kyle
09-04-2010, 02:34 PM
its just stupid. before you know it fun will be against the law period.

Robin Hood
09-04-2010, 03:26 PM
That sucks Justin. Doesn't CT have a law like that? That's why they took mini atv's out of our NECC series.

If a petition against this law arises, make sure you get it on here ASAP. This is getting out of hand.

DnB_racing
09-04-2010, 04:22 PM
jezz thats a great idea!!!! I think they should make all sports and sharp pencils, rocks, stair ways all against the law!just put your kid in a sealed bubble that way they will be safe!!

I REALLY HATE THIS STATE!!!!!!

JGlaze
09-04-2010, 04:24 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one enraged by this. Yes CT does have a law but it only bans racing under a certain age I believe, not riding. I'll post anything that I see as far as a petition. Unfortunately it's going to be tough, the government here is doing things like this all the time. One sided "fixes" to so called problems. One thing that Mass is better at than probably all the other states though is spending money they don't have on unnecessary stuff. Another especially in my area is giving welfare money to people who don't feel like working that have more kid's to keep collecting and get around loop holes. But it looks like they should ban bikes, skate boards, roller blades, and anything else that is dangerous before another kid get's hurt. Maybe if they watch that bubble boy movie they can get some more ideas on "protecting" children

mxduner
09-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by JGlaze
Glad to see I'm not the only one enraged by this. Yes CT does have a law but it only bans racing under a certain age I believe, not riding. I'll post anything that I see as far as a petition. Unfortunately it's going to be tough, the government here is doing things like this all the time. One sided "fixes" to so called problems. One thing that Mass is better at than probably all the other states though is spending money they don't have on unnecessary stuff. Another especially in my area is giving welfare money to people who don't feel like working that have more kid's to keep collecting and get around loop holes. But it looks like they should ban bikes, skate boards, roller blades, and anything else that is dangerous before another kid get's hurt. Maybe if they watch that bubble boy movie they can get some more ideas on "protecting" children isn't strange that every city has bike and skateboard parks? people can get hurt at these parks that we pay to build, will have to also pay for the lawsuits as well. but kids now cannot ride an atv?

atleast in my area it's this way. also in my county they are outlawing mx tracks on your own property unless you own 40 acres or more. That got pushed thru without public input:mad:

slightlybent47
09-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Unfortunately that’s the kind of thing that started the end of the three wheeler. A bunch of do goodie do gooder’s that have no idea what there talking about.

Using this logic we should ban everything and just sit in front of the TV and, oh wait that’s bad for you too.

Well then why don’t we ban child birth, after all child birth comes with all kinds of risk as well so lets ban that too.

A sad day indeed

KFX450Rrider490
09-05-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by JGlaze
One thing that Mass is better at than probably all the other states though is spending money they don't have on unnecessary stuff. Another especially in my area is giving welfare money to people who don't feel like working that have more kid's to keep collecting and get around loop holes.

ok now thats PA, i remember sometime last year someone/women sued the state because they raised something with welfare, lowering the rates, i think. but what i remember very clearly she made them pay for the surgery so she could have another kid to make more money off the system... now tell me thats not right

also read this and then the comments, its very agravating.
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/08/29/motorcycle-rider-dies-indianapolis-crash/

jgar
09-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by 88redrocket
Wow this state and its governer really sucks. Good thing my daughter and I ride on private land.

They can still get ya if youre on private land and she is under 14. :huh
She can ride in NH with no problems.
I never re reg. my atv this year. Not going to give this state my $. There going to have to catch me to get my $. lol Ma. law says you have to reg. even if the atv never leaves youre property. Still going to ride local but all of my atv trips are now in nh.

honda400ex2003
09-05-2010, 10:37 AM
start a petition to your representative about it. only way to get anything done. at least email your rep and tell your disgust about the situation. make sure you find out and post the info here so we can also sign the petition. it has to start in the state it was signed though... steve

exrider12
09-05-2010, 05:49 PM
All i have to say is wow..

JGlaze
09-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
start a petition to your representative about it. only way to get anything done. at least email your rep and tell your disgust about the situation. make sure you find out and post the info here so we can also sign the petition. it has to start in the state it was signed though... steve

This is something I plan on doing after the holiday is over on Tuesday. I happen to know the state rep in Westfield and he is a good guy who is also disgusted by our state's delusional way of not working for the people's best interest. Will keep everyone in the loop.

300racer
09-06-2010, 06:59 PM
this is crazy. you can tell by reading they had no idea wha they was talking about. 600lb atv? that is missuse of the atv a kid under 14 shouldn't ride a 800cc utility quad.

99400esex
09-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Im sure kids will still ride even if its the law or not, i know i would

buck440
09-07-2010, 07:40 AM
i agree with it if the kid is by himself but if he is with someone older than i don't agree with the law.

tEXas400
09-07-2010, 12:51 PM
All you mass. people need to just move down here to Texas, that kinda thing wouldnt happen down here, or we might siege the state capitol and pull a alamo on their asses

That is pretty wack, a kid would be more likely to choke on a gum ball, than ride off a ravine in a four wheeler

oh well, ive accepted the fact that america is going downhill, thats why i wish texas would secede from the union and be our own country!!!:cool:

jgar
09-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I was reading up on the new atv law here in ma. Funny the age restriction is just for atv not sleds or dirt bikes. Also found out that all road crossing for atv are for legal trails only. If you get caught and convicted infractions are tied to your drivers license and ALL registrations are at stake.......:mad:

250x_kyle
09-14-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by jgar
I was reading up on the new atv law here in ma. Funny the age restriction is just for atv not sleds or dirt bikes. Also found out that all road crossing for atv are for legal trails only. If you get caught and convicted infractions are tied to your drivers license and ALL registrations are at stake.......:mad:

well atleast you can get some of the same punishments for doing drugs as riding a quad.

DnB_racing
09-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by tEXas400
All you mass. people need to just move down here to Texas, that kinda thing wouldnt happen down here, or we might siege the state capitol and pull a alamo on their asses

That is pretty wack, a kid would be more likely to choke on a gum ball, than ride off a ravine in a four wheeler

oh well, ive accepted the fact that america is going downhill, thats why i wish texas would secede from the union and be our own country!!!:cool: thanks for the invite!! do you have a spare room, I wont eat to much, you wont even notice Im there. the only problem is I wake up a lot to go to the can, it shouldn't be a problem

destey
09-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Incremental liberalism. Do not worry, once the ball is rolling all sports will be eventually as highly regulated as you're starting to see with ATVs.

Snowmobiling around here used to be ride where you want as long as the landowner was ok. Slowly over the years things changed. Now you need to join the state snowmobile club, register your snowmobile with the motor vehicle department. Get a title for your snowmobile. Pay vehicle transfer tax when you buy it. Buy insurance. Any infractions go on your drivers license. Police now set up radar guns and conduct DUI checkpoints on the trails.

The lakes and ponds are considered state highways by law and are subject to all rules and regulations regarding them. IE 50mph speed limit etc.

If you're caught on someone elses land without a trail permit its trespassing and illegally operating a snowmobile even if you have their verbal permission (you need a signed letter from them). Because I'm over 18 I have to have a signed letter from my parents with me at all times to ride on their farm.

Its only going to get worse. None if this is ever rolled back.

CJM
09-15-2010, 10:00 AM
^ if the police so much as stepped foot on my property they would be advised to leave period. They are trespassing.

jgar
09-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by CJM
^ if the police so much as stepped foot on my property they would be advised to leave period. They are trespassing.

We have to deal with the environmental police looking for us and some of the towns have atv for the local police. The environmental police have more authority than the state police here....
I have decided due to the new laws here. If the law men want me there are going to have to catch me, because Iam not stoping for anyone now. They take our money and give us 2-3 places to ride in the entire state. F - that... When I ride local I dont go around homes or down the road. I just keep to myself. So when the day comes they will have to earn their pay. How would mirrors look on a 400ex?? lol

CJM
09-15-2010, 08:57 PM
If its private property you just tell them to get off, they dont you tell them your gonna press charges. Course it works better if its yours.

As for running, not a smart idea but I understand.

I ran into the same thing once at my hunting cabin. They hire outside game wardens to patrol b/c the locals wouldnt dare cause a problem-they know better. Well the property is posted no trespassing signs all over and its PRIVATE not state land.

They came waltzing into my woods and like idiots they are wearing BROWN pants and green jackets (standard game warden attire but hey be smart wear an orange vest).

I fired into the air and they stopped in thier tracks and were white as ghosts. My brother in another stand about 50 yds away was already taking up aim just incase they tried anything funny.

I told them to GET OFF my land and they protested and such, I told them unless they wanted to be pushing up daisies they best leave and if they dare come back they wouldnt get a chance to leave.

You see out there they have no cops besides the staties 2-3 days away and the sheriff who will take hours to get there. The game wardens stopped even going near anything that remotely looks like private property after a few went missing.

I have confiscated atvs, deer stands, etc, etc.

But if it aint your property then your SOL man.

jgar
09-16-2010, 04:59 PM
^ I have written or verbal permission to ride on 900 acres. The riding area is about 2k acres. The rest of the land is state or owner unknown and a few other private owned lots. I have done lots of reaserch at town hall lol.
Some of the land owners like me riding on there land because every year in the fall I will go around and clean up the crap other leave behind or dump. On average 2 one ton loads per year.
Bottom line is many people in this state hate the ohv and riders. You can try to do things legit and they will still try to F**K the riders.
CJM I like your stlye....:macho

DnB_racing
09-16-2010, 05:22 PM
jgar what town is that?? 2k acres of riding in Mass? am I missing something? Im lucky to find 2 acres never mind 2k

jgar
09-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
jgar what town is that?? 2k acres of riding in Mass? am I missing something? Im lucky to find 2 acres never mind 2k

Its in three towns and it is illegal riding. Also its not 2k acres of trails, its 2k acres of undeveloped land with some trails. Check your pm. We are neighbors. I can show you some of my local trails in Ma. if ya want some time.

CJM
09-16-2010, 06:19 PM
jgar thank you. I dont take crap from anyone specially my own land.

I mean you had to climb over a fence at the main gate or walk thru the woods and you still had to see the like 25 no trespassing signs and ignore them.

No one woulda missed those 2..but I wouldnt have actually done anything.

DnB_racing
09-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by jgar
Its in three towns and it is illegal riding. Also its not 2k acres of trails, its 2k acres of undeveloped land with some trails. Check your pm. We are neighbors. I can show you some of my local trails in Ma. if ya want some time. im riding some place this weekend probly sunday I just picked up a 250r and i want to give it a try! someplace not to rocky, I dont have a good skid on yet and i dont want to hammer the frame, its not badly dinged up yet and I want to try to keep it that way! i think im riding in winchendon on rt 12 about 1 mile north of rt 140 intersection its a road called 450r spring st there are some power lines and some nice trails but its small!about 2 hours of riding before you start getting board

jgar
09-17-2010, 12:37 PM
im riding some place this weekend probly sunday I just picked up a 250r and i want to give it a try! someplace not to rocky, I dont have a good skid on yet and i dont want to hammer the frame, its not badly dinged up yet and I want to try to keep it that way! i think im riding in winchendon on rt 12 about 1 mile north of rt 140 intersection its a road called 450r spring st there are some power lines and some nice trails but its small!about 2 hours of riding before you start getting board

I know that place well.
There is a nice hill climb back there by the rr bed on the main trail.
Do you have a safe place to park? If not I can tell you where I park when I trailer ( usually just ride) there and how to come in from the north.
There are more trails there than what you might think.

DnB_racing
09-17-2010, 12:51 PM
I usually park right in front of that hill! I go over the old rr bridge and park in the opening right in front of the sand hill (out of the way of course!) Ive been through there quit a bit and its nice but really not that big, if you know of any trails across any of the roads let me know! ill be there this Sunday at least that's the plans as of now!

jgar
09-17-2010, 02:12 PM
I know all of the trails that cross all of the roads. The main one is for the rr bed. But the problem is the rr bed is paved. Its a bike path now :rolleyes: and the law bags tons of people there. Its not a good idea. When the rr bed was not a bike path I used to be able to ride from there to peoples pit in gardner/templeton.

jzexrider
09-17-2010, 08:11 PM
This law is completely ridiculous!Who in the world came up with this stupid crap.

DnB_racing
09-17-2010, 08:16 PM
save'em all Deval.... can be thanked for looking out for my kids, cause im to stupid to know whats good for my kids! thank god he cares about my kids well being, cause apparently I dont cause I let my kids ride these evil machines

jgar
09-18-2010, 07:40 AM
I usually park right in front of that hill! I go over the old rr bridge and park in the opening right in front of the sand hill (out of the way of course!) Ive been through there quit a bit and its nice but really not that big, if you know of any trails across any of the roads let me know! ill be there this Sunday at least that's the plans as of now!

I found a way to to get from where you park to basically rt.119 in ringe. Trying to find a way to get to the power lines that cross 119 and 202. Still try to figure the last mile to the powerlines with out to much road riding. Those powerlines go through jaffery and go north they are endless. If ya want I can send ya a link with maps I use and a descripion of the trails to take.

BakerRacing40
09-18-2010, 10:16 AM
wow... in comparison this is like turning your tv off by shooting the transformer on the power poll outside.... if you spill a drink on your floor at home do you move to a new house? .... this law is like wiping before you poop, it just don't make any sense.

very sad that any child passes away in any situation. the child from the story there should have never been on a large machine capable of speeds obviously fast enough to kill, I would bet no protective equipment was being used and that is was probably not being supervised at all. some people will never get the point that any atv, motorcycle, or what ever it is that their on IS NOT A BABYSITTER!!!!!

are they dangerous? yes.. can they kill? yes..... but if you take those two questions and answers right there and think about the fact that most accidents happen while no supervision is being used or not there at all.... hmm... does anybody just leave the keys to your gun safe just laying around? most likely not. I grew up around a lot of dangerous things but i was taught safety first. its simple common sense, your not going to put a loaded gun in your baby's crib...

i blame irrational things like this on liberals. they are so prone to groupthink that its ridiculous. some one once apon a time planted a bug in their head telling them that being a follower is the greatest thing ever ( i think the bug stayed there feeding off their brain). "o he's a doctor, he must be right" or "he seems confident, lets support him" they see nothing rationally and you'll notice that they say "i think" a lot, even though its a lie... i've tried to turn them to think for themselves but they get the deer in the headlights look and lock up... i think liberalism is the true epidemic that society should be working to fix..

yes i know liberals that aren't that way and if that's your view also, no offense intended upon you. i'm sure your still sane a little because your on this forum and haven't had a complete melt down yet...
i guess that will be the end of my rambling rant, for now at least... lol