PDA

View Full Version : ATV Rentals... what's your thoughts.

zawetzel13
09-04-2010, 09:43 AM
I live in Northern maine, surrounded by thousands of miles of completely connected ATV trails. I would like to start an ATV rental business up here and would like some opinions, advice, or comments from any of you who have rented ATVs before.
I am planning to go with 400ex's as a sport option because of their great durability, but as with 4x4s I don't know what would be the best thing to have. I'm not going to buy anything new and it would probably be best to get automatics I'm guessing.
I guess my questions are:
-What do you think would be the best 4X4 to rent?
-How much would you be willing to pay for a rental for a day?

Any other comments or suggestions welcome.
Thanks guys, and thanks for making this such a great forum

BumblebeeEX
09-05-2010, 11:32 AM
I think anything more than $100 would deter alot of people. Purely my opinion, obviously, but upwards of $200 seems pretty unreasonable. I voted for $75 because Im a cheap ******* and wouldnt pay more than that.

250ex_dan
09-05-2010, 03:14 PM
SAME HERE
paying 100 would be like a renting an expedition for a day(we have done this before,trust me)
plus u wounld'nt want to pay more money for the rented quad and gas then on the whole vacation...my opinion

zawetzel13
09-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I totally understand what you mean, and I've come up with an idea of charging say $59 a day(24 hr period), plus like $8/hr that you use it with a $125/day max.
This way you could pick it up friday evening, ride all day saturday and maybe sunday, return it sunday evening and pay between $120 and $250 depending on how many hours you rode.

250ex_dan
09-11-2010, 11:11 AM
plus like $8/hr that you use it with a $125/day max.
This way you could pick it up friday evening, ride all day saturday and maybe sunday, return it sunday evening and pay between $120 and $250 depending on how many hours you rode. [/B][/QUOTE]

sorry,but i don't clearly understand this...

dan harris
09-23-2010, 03:02 PM
How much would you be paying for the "used machines" that you'll be renting? and how long do you expect them to last being rental units? Machines are expensive and people renting them will abuse the crap out of them. I personally would think you would need at least $150 to $200 per day for the machine. Consider how much it cost to rent a wave runner - usually $50 to $60 per HALF HOUR?? I've considered renting machines at the Proving Grounds, but see alot of problems and drawbacks for the little profit I see it making.. I wish you lots of luck. I would recommend starting small so you can keep your cost down and see how it goes before you go deep into debt. No matter how much you make - it will beat the crap out of working a regular 9-5 job anyday!!

250ex_dan
09-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by dan harris
How much would you be paying for the "used machines" that you'll be renting? and how long do you expect them to last being rental units? Machines are expensive and people renting them will abuse the crap out of them. I personally would think you would need at least $150 to $200 per day for the machine. Consider how much it cost to rent a wave runner - usually $50 to $60 per HALF HOUR?? I've considered renting machines at the Proving Grounds, but see alot of problems and drawbacks for the little profit I see it making.. I wish you lots of luck. I would recommend starting small so you can keep your cost down and see how it goes before you go deep into debt. No matter how much you make - it will beat the crap out of working a regular 9-5 job anyday!!

you have a piont there

smr
09-24-2010, 05:56 AM
went rented a rzr for a day at Little Sahara and it was $450.00. It was also worth every penny. We have rented boats before. Usually cost us about $250.00 for a day.

there is no way you can make money renting for $49.00 a day.

I sugest you break it down more.

$49.00 per hour

$100.00 for 4 hours

$200.00 for all day.

you can't compare renting quads to renting cars. Cars are not likely to get torn up but you know these quads are gonna come back with some ware and tare.

also.......get a deposit or hold a credit card.

LARRYRAY
09-26-2010, 08:21 AM
MYRTLE BEACH AREA. i USED TO D DAILY RENTALS " BAD NEWS"
i NOW DO A TWO HOUR TOUR ON THE TRAILS, AND CHARGE $ 40 AN HOUR AND $70.00 FOR TWO HOUR. AND PEOPLE LOVE IT AND NORM GIVE THE TOUR BOSS A $ 40.00 TIP, T6HAT'S THE ONLY WAY TO KEEP THE MACHINS WORKING AGAIN

dns1764
10-04-2010, 06:47 AM
in my opinion, anything that requires shifting is going to get destroyed. there are way too many people out there who cant use a clutch. i hate letting my friend borrow my quad cause he is way too hard on it even though i showed him how to ride. go with some 4x4s in the 300 to 400 class. they are less likely to be torn up.

Grimzella
10-07-2010, 09:45 PM
rgr that... i like the riders who slam the gear shift down . looking for first gear... stomp.. stomp... stomp.... stomp..

Duceswild
10-14-2010, 09:51 AM
I love the idea, wish I had the means and where-with-all to do something like that.
I agree that $59.00 is eventually going to kill your buisness.
Price of overhead (quads), price of repairs, price of gas, price of declining value, Advertising, will you have insurance?. Not a Cheap "hobbie" by any means.
However, I do see real potential in varying the excursions.
What I mean is this, cheaper price for less time un accompanied. For a guided tour of some pretty spectacular spots, photo opps and a packed lunch, hell the sky's the limit. people will pay if they believe it's something they couldent get otherwise. I spent two years in Vermont and I know you could target the "leaf peepers".
I do agree with some others to start small, get the word out, may even have to do some freebies but.......if you build it up......they will come. Plan well and good luck.

DirtWork
10-15-2010, 12:59 PM
I met a fella who tried renting 4x4's he said customers drove straight to deepest mudhole, he was pullin them out all day long . my opinion go with 250 or 300's. 2 wheelers all the same brand no clutches. i'd might go with an hourly, half day, full day all quads back by dusk, so depending when they arrive they can pick there option. hate to send some one away just cause they got there at 2:00.. pricing is more relevant to your area. think youd like to have it where a local could bring people to rent machines when they couldn't provide for them and they all could ride together. you could do guided or unguided, the unguided must rent gps. either built in or handheld. you may be able to track the unguided as well. i ve seen some simple trackers at some golf courses shows ya where every cart is.

NMills
10-17-2010, 05:22 PM
I'd do a fair amount for rentails... as stated.. GPS... it cost money to obtain.. so figure that in... Security Deposit... thru a MAJOR credit card... rental contracts for misuse and abusing equipment.. you could call other ATV rental places adn see what they do... ask them what they do about theft.. misuse/abuse.... quads that come back with missing/ different parts.. and the such..

BossHogg420
11-12-2010, 10:14 PM
yea in the phoenix area avg 125-150 for sport quads...ltrs and raptors upwards to 200....you'd be out of business in a month at 59 a day...def mjcc and signed contract basically saying you can screw them for anything (obviously be reasonable about repairs) but termed in the contract that they couldnt get out of it in court. $500 deposit and a training course b4 they leave would prob help keep repair costs down...as far as guided tours go you could make some good loot esp if your guiding the tours....high rate and TIPS!

416racer
11-13-2010, 05:47 PM
I think he means 59 a day plus an hourly charge on top, it would be around 185 for a full day.