PDA

View Full Version : 06 outlaw 500 wont start just clicks

Rudnik
09-03-2010, 11:21 PM
I bought a 06 outlaw 500 from a kid and it wont start, i bought it like this for cheap cause i figured it was a simple fix. when you push the start button the solenoid simply clicks. i bought a service manual but so far its been no help

i've replaced both the solenoid and the starter as well as the main wiring harness cause he had a couple wires spliced.

i'm running out of ideas and hoping i didnt waste my money on this thing, does anyone have any ideas?

xtreme 250x
09-04-2010, 06:51 AM
does the motor turn over?

sleddog66
09-04-2010, 07:22 AM
I know I have heard about circuit breakers tucked inside a black back under the seat on predators...I think the 500 outlaw is the same.(they get corroded)
Otherwise you will just have to check for voltage drop across the starting circuit. A volt/amp meter should make short work of things.

Rudnik
09-04-2010, 08:35 AM
the starter doesnt engage at all, the breakers were replaced with the new wiring harness.

i tried pullin it with a truck to start it and make sure it wasnt locked up and it still wouldnt start..

i'm thinking there has to be some sort of kill switch that went bad or something, but i would think it would still engage the starter if that was the case.

sleddog66
09-04-2010, 04:46 PM
so what is your battery voltage? what is the voltage at the starter? what is the voltage when you push the button, and you get a click?

You really need to test for this problem with a volt gauge. It could be a bad connection anywhere in the start circuit. Start with battery voltage, then test at the cables, and etc, right on down the line.

Have you tried a battery charger direct to the starter and jump the solinoid?

demon rider
09-06-2010, 07:51 PM
sounds like a dead battery to me

Rudnik
09-06-2010, 08:20 PM
the battery is brand new. I did some testing this weekend and when i hit the start button, the starter is getting around 8 volts. but the quad isnt turning over or trying to start at all.

i dont think it could be locked up cause i pulled it behind my truck in gear to try to drift start it.

sleddog66
09-07-2010, 04:43 AM
8 volts is not enough at the starter.You should have at least 9.6 cranking volts. What is your static battery voltage? You are either getting a lot of voltage drop due to corosion or poor connection......or you are starting with a weak battery.

Rudnik
09-12-2010, 10:56 AM
well i bought a new start stop switch for it which came today and went to start it and the solenoid didnt even click, started lookin more and now the 5 and 15 amp breakers arent getting power at all..

as for battery voltage, i've been doing everything with it on charger, battery is at about 75% with the charger on voltage is about 14v

I dont see how i could be getting bad connections since i replace the harness.. i'm totally stumped here

Rudnik
09-12-2010, 05:12 PM
just finished workin on it more, new switch i bought was bad which was reason breakers werent gettin power.. now i'm back to where i was.

everything power is getting 12.4 volts.. when i try to start it, the starter gets between 6 and 8 volts.. i dunno what to do

JDanner
09-15-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm having the same problem with my outlaw, I removed the cover to show the idler gears, magneto, and flywheel. The magneto has a huge gash through it. The motor turns over and the starter still spins, it's almost lilt the starter isn't strong enough to rotate the engine.

Outlaw6;=-
09-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I just did a check on this sight for throttle. The outlaws have a tps - throttle position system which shuts the engine off if not set properly. Outlaw Bill has a good explanation of it, maybe something to check.

demon rider
10-13-2010, 02:25 PM
I had a problem with my 06 outlaw back at the start of this summer where if I did not keep my throttle in a little bit then the engine would shut off. As it turned out the problem was in the ETC. That is that little black box right above your throttle. Inside there is a contact on the throttle and a contact attached to a stop switch. Then the two contacts touch each other the bikes computer thinks that the throttle is frozen in the open position and shuts the bike off as a safety feature. It's only a 5 minute job to change where the contact is positioned to on your throttle. I don't think this is the problem with your bike because if my memory serves me correctly then I think my engine used to turn over but not start with the throttle all the way out but it might be worth your while to check it out. Also have you thought about checking your emergency stop switch?