PDA

View Full Version : possibly need shock rebuild. have some questions

fatboy666
09-03-2010, 06:46 PM
i just got a set of ohlins for the front and they seem to really sag. and seem really soft. i know they are older. anyone how much and how long it would take to have them rebuilt?

i know gt thunder does it. but i dont wanna send them out and not have shocks for months.

fearlessfred
09-03-2010, 09:20 PM
if u are a heavier rider like myself ,u prob. need stiffer springs . in my opinion the correct spring rate is the very first thing u do when setting up your suspension. no one could really tell u if your due for sevice, in steel bodyed shocks like the ohlins,the oil does last longer

fatboy666
09-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Yeh I was thinking about just buying a set of springs and pressing them on myself. I'm def a heavier rider. I'm 6'4 270.

Anyone ever press on their own springs? I have a press so I figured I'd give it a try

fearlessfred
09-04-2010, 02:37 PM
u prob. be money ahead by sending them off to gt thunder for service and revalve and resprung for your wieght and riding style. removing the springs is not to hard. its an easly made tool that uses the shock eye ,with a lever and bolt running thu the eye and lever.a few inchs out on the lever is a pivit with another arm with a flat cresent shape plate that pushs against the coils or just stand on your front end while a friend uses a couple of tie downs to hold the coils together and then remove from bike ( mcgiver ).

Scro
09-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Your springs and valving work together to give you the optimum performance. Just changing the spring out for something heavier may cause other issues besides the one you are having. You will be much happier if you send it out to someone that really knows what they are doing. I've never had good luck with GT Thunder, but alot of people rave about them. They will get them back to you lightning fast, but it's a coin flip to whether or not they will be right...just my personal experience. I've heard alot of good things about MXP and Jet Suspension. C&D racing, our site sponsor, can also work on them.

Baileygunns
09-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Nick @ Jet suspension...

fearlessfred
09-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Scro
Your springs and valving work together to give you the optimum performance. Just changing the spring out for something heavier may cause other issues besides the one you are having. You will be much happier if you send it out to someone that really knows what they are doing. I've never had good luck with GT Thunder, but alot of people rave about them. They will get them back to you lightning fast, but it's a coin flip to whether or not they will be right...just my personal experience. I've heard alot of good things about MXP and Jet Suspension. C&D racing, our site sponsor, can also work on them.
i wasnt suggesting anyone in particular ,just doing it as a package like scro said. i wold not no who is good or bad,seeing as is i do all my own shock work.