PDA

View Full Version : When will the 400ex cease to be?

tEXas400
09-03-2010, 03:59 PM
The greatest quad ever made, i mean literally the greatest for its time

its like the old school nintendo, the best

when will it cease, have they stopped production? or plan to stop it in the near future?

We on these forums will stand by it im sure, and make it better with our unique modifications but the ATV world will be worse without the old EX

NMills
09-03-2010, 04:06 PM
They stopped making the 400EX either this model year or the previous model year... inplace of it they make the 400X... IT's still the same... i can't remember off the top of my head the actual difference is... if any... but they'd be dumb as **** to stop making the 400... it's a proven engine with great results... i'm sure you'll get more answers as the weekend goes on...

IRISH-RACER-14
09-03-2010, 04:18 PM
i say honda has probaly sold more 400's than 450s..

slightlybent47
09-03-2010, 04:57 PM
When did it begin, what was the first year? They have been making them about ten years now write?

NMills
09-03-2010, 05:05 PM
2000 maybe? or was it 99... it's in that area i think..

IMSROLL450R
09-03-2010, 05:42 PM
99 was the year.... remember the wheelies like they were yesterday.

coreyflipp
09-03-2010, 05:47 PM
They'll Prolly quit making them tomorrow.

250ex_dan
09-03-2010, 06:25 PM
even tho i wish i had one they are pretty amezing quads.
the old ones had the unique lights

NMills
09-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Old? you mean 99 to 04? I love the style... just wish it had reverse.... really bummin...

tEXas400
09-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by coreyflipp
They'll Prolly quit making them tomorrow.

do i know you, you sound familiar

we going to northgate tonight

dalejiw25
09-03-2010, 07:21 PM
They're done. Hell I can't even get an Iridium plug for it without having one shipped here from Japan, What's that tell ya. Movin on to an American made KTM or Polaris Outlaw. Be American, Buy American, Keep an American working. Screw Japan. Peace, Out. BTW, If the Japs want $32 for a spark plug shipped here To The U.S.A., My quad is for sale @ $5000, And a good deal at that. C- Yas.

HPI_Savage25
09-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Not sure what plugs you are running but dang, I get my NGK plugs all the time for like $5 a pop....

And I see the 400ex being around for a long time.....just not sure how long they will continue selling it. Now as they have moved to the new "x" but we all know that it is basically the same thing minus a few changes...

honda400ex2003
09-03-2010, 08:03 PM
I dont even want to think about it. :( it will be a sad day to be around me if i ever find out they quit making the hundy. i was really bummed to see a style change. I for one, HATE change. the 450, another heart breaker day, the hundy wasnt the top honda any more. :( steve

NMills
09-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Did i miss something?? how did we go from the time frame the EX was produced to the matter of Spark plug prices????

tri5ron
09-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by dalejiw25
They're done. Hell I can't even get an Iridium plug for it without having one shipped here from Japan, What's that tell ya. Movin on to an American made KTM or Polaris Outlaw. Be American, Buy American, Keep an American working. Screw Japan. Peace, Out. BTW, If the Japs want $32 for a spark plug shipped here To The U.S.A., My quad is for sale @ $5000, And a good deal at that. C- Yas. WTF ?
maybe I should add in that your overdue to replace the air in the tires with new air,
(only japanese air will work, and they ship it in a can),
I think your headlight fluid is low,...
and rotate your shocks while your at it !!!???
:huh :huh :huh :huh :huh

trailrider894
09-04-2010, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by dalejiw25
They're done. Hell I can't even get an Iridium plug for it without having one shipped here from Japan, What's that tell ya. Movin on to an American made KTM or Polaris Outlaw. Be American, Buy American, Keep an American working. Screw Japan. Peace, Out. BTW, If the Japs want $32 for a spark plug shipped here To The U.S.A., My quad is for sale @ $5000, And a good deal at that. C- Yas.

somebody forgot to take their rational pill.... :devil:

ish416
09-04-2010, 02:38 AM
I hope that whenever the day comes that Honda decides to stop making the 400 that they let it go gracefully and not drag it through the mud and keep it long past it's expiration date like Yamaha has done with the Warrior/Raptor 350. Although, I feel that will not be the case. Example - basically the entire Honda Sport ATV lineup. Especially the 300EX and 450R.

Also, I really hope Honda stops making the lowest performing quads at some point. It seems like they are more interested in making cars, generators and robots than anything in the motorcycle/off-road division. At least anything that is worthy of any type of praise with a few exceptions.

The only recent Hondas that I have rode or have any respect for are the CRF450X and the CBR RRs ( both the 600 and 1000 ) and none of those have 4 wheels.

It may seem like I am hating on Honda but I am not, well, maybe a little bit. I would like to see Honda be competitive again and update most of their sport model lineup.

As for buying "American Made", very few things are American Made anymore. Polaris for example, is opening a new plant in Mexico and shutting the doors on it's plant in Wisconsin. Guess what they happen to make at the Wisconsin plant that is closing ..... ATV's and Side by Sides. So I guess your American Made will soon be made in Mexico. Here is the link if you do not believe me. (http://www.snowmobile.com/news/polaris-to-shut-down-wisconsin-plant-1235.html)

They will still make parts and such at the other locations but the Mexico plant will be primarily used for ATV and SxS.

Apologies for the length of the post.

tEXas400
09-04-2010, 04:36 AM
As much as i hate to say it, Japan just pays more attention to detail on **** than america. or atleast on ATVs they do, prolly everything else also....

Polaris is the biggest pieces of **** in the ATV industry, they are somewhere inbetween a roach turd and chinese made stuff, i will let yall decide

their design on the 90s sportsmans is by far the crappiest stuff ive ever seen

screw polaris.... Japan not china makes quality products

dns1764
09-04-2010, 06:25 AM
arent they assembled in usa?

PaRedneckRiders
09-04-2010, 11:16 AM
it will be sad to see the EX (X) Go

It was and still is by far one of the most awsome most reliable quads out there

It was the Best quad from 99-04 and in 04 everyone released a 450 (except Suzuki but owell) race quad

The 400 was the race quad of the day untill the 450s rolled along

Now we havent seen a new honda quad since 08, im tired of waiting to c if there gona release something amazing or what

They release bikes all the time so why not a new quad thats just as advanced as the new bikes

Honda had everything going good then it seems like they changed there focus to the bike industry and thats all they have been doin lately
I personally have been thinking about gettin a 450r and wouldnt mind it but i still want my 400

Another thing, i hate the new headlight design of the 400 i think they never should have changed it in the first place because the looked really cool, almost like they had eyes (regardless mine doesnt because of the hood) but still

Sry about the long post guys i just think its a sad thing thats goin on because the 400ex was the icon in the late 90s early 2000 And they had good reason to be because they still are awsome and i dont plan on sellin mine anytime soon but if i ever have 2 ill never get anything different, ill always own a Honda

RIDE RED

tEXas400
09-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by dns1764
arent they assembled in usa?

ya my ex was assembled in south carolina

dan5
09-05-2010, 09:10 AM
If Honda is smart, they should keep making the 400 for years . People say "It's old technology" BUT IT WORKS, why change what doesn't need to be fixed. There something to be said for simplicity.
Like reliability,ease of maintenance and great all around power.

When I was looking to buy my bike there were 400's and 450's at the dealership.
some guy came up to me and said "don't buy the 400 you can't climb any thing on that bike." even the service manager said "that bike's a dog".

What I don't understand is that in the early 90's you couldn't buy a better bike. Now all of a sudden because they came out with the 450's the 400 is a dog .If I'm not mistaken the bike the same, the trails are the same, it still performs the way it always has ,and if your not racing or have to be the fastest person on the trail the 400 is still the bike to have.

I realize It all comes down to what is selling for Honda to keep making them. but I think It would be a shame if they stopped. Just my thoughts

Not to say that if your on a 400, you couldn't be the fastest person on the trails that would be just dumb to say

tri5ron
09-05-2010, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by dan5
If Honda is smart, they should keep making the 400 for years . People say "It's old technology" BUT IT WORKS, why change what doesn't need to be fixed. There something to be said for simplicity.
Like reliability,ease of maintenance and great all around power.

When I was looking to buy my bike there were 400's and 450's at the dealership.
some guy came up to me and said "don't buy the 400 you can't climb any thing on that bike." even the service manager said "that bike's a dog".

What I don't understand is that in the early 90's you couldn't buy a better bike. Now all of a sudden because they came out with the 450's the 400 is a dog .If I'm not mistaken the bike the same, the trails are the same, it still performs the way it always has ,and if your not racing or have to be the fastest person on the trail the 400 is still the bike to have.

I realize It all comes down to what is selling for Honda to keep making them. but I think It would be a shame if they stopped. Just my thoughts

Not to say that if your on a 400, you couldn't be the fastest person on the trails that would be just dumb to say Well said, and I couldn't agree more.
btw-
Welcome to the ATVriders forums.
I look forward to hearing more of your input and experiences.
How old are your daughters, and how long have they been riding?
My kids are 10 and 9 and love riding.

dan5
09-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanx for the welcome

My daughters are 16 and 12. The oldest has been riding for 10 years and the youngest for 6 years. They started out on a Suzuki 50 and then went to a Suzuki 80.
They now ride whats in my sig.

Well I got to get going I have to do the maintenance on all the bikes . Going on a Poker run next Sat. And it takes awhile on 4 bikes But turn on the radio,open an ice cold one and go for it ,kinda relaxing

Sorry tEXas400 for going off subject

tEXas400
09-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanx for the welcome

My daughters are 16 and 12. The oldest has been riding for 10 years and the youngest for 6 years. They started out on a Suzuki 50 and then went to a Suzuki 80.
They now ride whats in my sig.

Well I got to get going I have to do the maintenance on all the bikes . Going on a Poker run next Sat. And it takes awhile on 4 bikes But turn on the radio,open an ice cold one and go for it ,kinda relaxing

Sorry tEXas400 for going off subject

Ha no offense taken bro, i like hearing about the little people, especially if they are little quad junkies

Hell isnt that what this website is all about, the future of ATVs

do they got some skills on the quads?

dan5
09-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Well I'm probably a little partial. but yea I think they have some skills .Their not going to be racers ,but they can go on 97% of the trails that I ride.maybe not as fast ,but they ride a good pace , They've ridden some pretty steep hills and have gone down some good inclines .with smiles on their faces

Went riding with my nephew and daughters the other day. We were on the trail and my nephew asked "do you always ride this fast". he couldn't believe it that every time he turned around my daughters were right on his butt .

ridgeracer
09-07-2010, 01:12 AM
Went riding with my nephew and daughters the other day. We were on the trail and my nephew asked "do you always ride this fast". he couldn't believe it that every time he turned around my daughters were right on his butt .

This made me laugh. I gotta get back out there...

OZ-T
06-25-2013, 12:15 PM
I know I am bumping a dead thread but had to chime in.

The 400 isn't going anywhere anytime soon I don't think. As long as there is a demand for it they will always be around, and right now there is a huge demand. For one, you can be into a nice 400 for about 5k brand new out the door and so it's one of the lower priced options there is and it's one of the best and most reliable too. It is a great kids bike, and even adults like me get a huge kick on it. I live in farm country and lots of farm kids have them, they are great for herding cattle since they are so quick and nimble compared to the heavy and bulky utilities that handle like crap. They are also super tough, reliable, and easy to work on. I am a novice when it comes to wrenching on quads, but I picked it up pretty quick doing my own repairs to my EX.
A perfect example of a quad that stuck around based on popular demand was the Banshee, from what, 1987 to 2006? Only reason it died was the EPA making those stupid emission laws that killed virtually all the Jap 2 stroke bikes and quads. If it wasn't for that I bet you my bottom dollar the Banshee would still be on the Yamaha showroom floor today. Like one of the others said "it's dated, BUT WORKS!" and he sums it up perfectly. As far as a reliable sport quad with ample power and ease of handling and riding behavior, it don't get much better than a good ole tried and true 400EX/400X!

HondaRacing83
06-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Servicehonda will make them forever you can buy a brand new 250r or bugeyed 400ex from there they are just pricey

OZ-T
06-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Servicehonda will make them forever you can buy a brand new 250r or bugeyed 400ex from there they are just pricey
Really? I never knew that..One day may have to go the 250R route when I can finally afford that need for speed! My 400 is quick, but it's not scary fast like them old 2 strokes were. I'd much rather have the 250R than the 450R simply for lower maintenance costs, cost to rebuild a 4 stroke is atrocious. That's why my EX has stayed stock.

Do the quads from SH come assembled or in kits that you have to assemble yourself?

matt14c
06-25-2013, 05:38 PM
It I were buying a new atv though why buy the 400? I have a 400 it's a 1999 and I'm the original owner. Been sent to hell and back and still fires right up. Original bottom end. The rest well is far from stock or original. But that's what was available when I bought that. Now if I was at a dealer now being an expierenced rider not sure of price differences but if a 400 and 450 were sitting next to each other I'm taking the 450. Better suspension, liquid cooled and well more power. Only advantage 400 has is reverse now. And well I haven't had an atv with reverse since I bought my 400 in 99. I don't see it going anywhere though they sell far two many. But if they came into budgeting or financial problems again I'd eliminate either the 300 or 400. That would be the only reason I could see them doing away with it. Unless they brought in a new liquid cooled motor which anyone who has a 400 has been asking for since they bought and rode in the summer and yet Honda has not changed yet. Honda changes graphics and color schemes other that they don't do too much.

ish416
06-25-2013, 07:59 PM
I was reading through this and read my post from page 2 and thought, that is exactly how I feel. Then I looked at who made the post. I saw it was mine from nearly 3 years ago. Thanks for resurrecting this thread and giving me a good laugh.

RNL
06-25-2013, 08:28 PM
In my oppinion Honda could do a couple minor changes that would make the 400 last forever in their lineup. All they have to do is bump up compression a bit, change the cam profiles, and maybe better pair of front shocks. You'd have a 400 with better power, smoother ride, and with reverse and the low maintenance would be the best trail sport quad made. And it would appeal to more guys than the 450. If Suzuki can offer the Z400 like this in the same price range, there is no reason Honda can't upgrade the 400 slightly and stay in the same price range. I seen a a dyno chart that shows the EFI Z400 has about 3hp more than the 400x, plus better shocks. Come on Honda make some changes. The only thing that irks me about the 400 is the lower performance. A bit more compression and slightly more aggressive cam would do wonders for that quad.............and make me not even look at the 450's. I actually like it being air cooled to.

RNL
06-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Also I guess I'm in the minority, but I love the new plastics on the 400x compared to the old bug eyes and bulky fenders of the original.

quad2xtreme
07-05-2013, 09:50 AM
Upgrades Honda should make to the 400 if they keep producing it:

Switch to entire 450 rear swingarm, brake calipers, rotors, and all. Switch the frontend to use 450 spindle and calipers at a minimum. Could probably easily change to use same a-arm mounts. Put some real front shocks on there...at a minimum, get rid of the bushing and sleeve at the bottom of the shock in favor of a bearing and sleeve setup.

OZ-T
07-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Also I guess I'm in the minority, but I love the new plastics on the 400x compared to the old bug eyes and bulky fenders of the original.
Forever alone

OZ-T
07-05-2013, 12:59 PM
I hope that whenever the day comes that Honda decides to stop making the 400 that they let it go gracefully and not drag it through the mud and keep it long past it's expiration date like Yamaha has done with the Warrior/Raptor 350. Although, I feel that will not be the case. Example - basically the entire Honda Sport ATV lineup. Especially the 300EX and 450R.

Also, I really hope Honda stops making the lowest performing quads at some point. It seems like they are more interested in making cars, generators and robots than anything in the motorcycle/off-road division. At least anything that is worthy of any type of praise with a few exceptions.

The only recent Hondas that I have rode or have any respect for are the CRF450X and the CBR RRs ( both the 600 and 1000 ) and none of those have 4 wheels.

It may seem like I am hating on Honda but I am not, well, maybe a little bit. I would like to see Honda be competitive again and update most of their sport model lineup.

As for buying "American Made", very few things are American Made anymore. Polaris for example, is opening a new plant in Mexico and shutting the doors on it's plant in Wisconsin. Guess what they happen to make at the Wisconsin plant that is closing ..... ATV's and Side by Sides. So I guess your American Made will soon be made in Mexico. Here is the link if you do not believe me. (http://www.snowmobile.com/news/polaris-to-shut-down-wisconsin-plant-1235.html)

They will still make parts and such at the other locations but the Mexico plant will be primarily used for ATV and SxS.

Apologies for the length of the post.

I think that's just it, Honda mainly concentrates on motocross. You constantly hear about them dominating the circuits everywhere with their bikes, but never hear much about the quads who are kind of left in the corner of the priorities. Heck, I don't even think the 450R has had an update to it's engine except the electric start. Don't quote me on it though, I am a 400EX guy and am pretty much clueless about any other quad.

quad2xtreme
07-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Heck, I don't even think the 450R has had an update to it's engine except the electric start. Don't quote me on it though, I am a 400EX guy and am pretty much clueless about any other quad.

Since you admittedly haven't kept up, here is a Cliff Note Guide to the TRX450R and TRX450ER.

04/05 - basically the same, kick start only
06/07 - totally new motor, kick start or electric start
08+ - basically same motor as 06/07 except decompression setup changed
I don't think there was an actual 10,11, or 12 stamped frame and engine. I think the 09 sold through those years. This I could be wrong on though.

RNL
07-05-2013, 03:09 PM
It's not a lie, Honda is at the bottom when it comes to performance atv's. Come on Honda!!!

OZ-T
07-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Since you admittedly haven't kept up, here is a Cliff Note Guide to the TRX450R and TRX450ER.

I don't think there was an actual 10,11, or 12 stamped frame and engine. I think the 09 sold through those years. This I could be wrong on though.

I see, I think the Honda 450 motocross dirt bike gets updated every year or something. But, the 450 motor in the R must be a good one because Honda don't seem too excited about changing it up often. Last time it had a major update was 7 years ago, crazy, but time flies!

OZ-T
07-05-2013, 03:10 PM

I see, I think the Honda 450 motocross dirt bike gets updated every year or something. But, the 450 motor in the R must be a good one because Honda don't seem too excited about changing it up often. Last time it had a major update was 7 years ago, crazy, but time flies!

quad2xtreme
07-05-2013, 04:28 PM
It's not a lie, Honda is at the bottom when it comes to performance atv's. Come on Honda!!!

I disagree. Honda is ahead of Suzuki and Kawasaki which aren't even producing a sport quad today. Yamaha hast newer technology on the market for sure...and yet privateers still tend to flock to Honda. Sad that Honda hasn't updated it but I really don't think any manufacturer has hit the ball out of the park to the point the Honda 450 is some dinosaur.

RNL
07-05-2013, 07:06 PM
I disagree. Honda is ahead of Suzuki and Kawasaki which aren't even producing a sport quad today. Yamaha hast newer technology on the market for sure...and yet privateers still tend to flock to Honda. Sad that Honda hasn't updated it but I really don't think any manufacturer has hit the ball out of the park to the point the Honda 450 is some dinosaur.

Suzuki has the LTZ 400 and kawasaki has the KFX450, both offer higher performance than a Honda 400X. My point was it wouldn't take much the boost the level of the 400 Honda, which would make a good quad......great.

CJM
07-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Suzuki has the LTZ 400 and kawasaki has the KFX450, both offer higher performance than a Honda 400X. My point was it wouldn't take much the boost the level of the 400 Honda, which would make a good quad......great.

Or they could just leave a bulletproof quad alone.

ish416
07-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Or they could just leave a bulletproof quad alone.

Honda could do that and likely will. The issue with updates and such is the market place. Yamaha, Polaris and Can Am/BRP seem to be the only manufacturers putting forth the testicular fortitude to make new machines/update existing ones and new classes (YFZ-R/X, Raptor 125/250, 700 getting updates nearly every year, Rhino SxS, Polaris RZR creating the sport SxS class, Can Am for basically everything they currently sell).

The 400EX is simply no longer the quad it used to be. It is now relegated to being a wife/gf/beginner quad, that is sad. The EX used to be the go to quad for racing, now it's laughed at when someone rolls in on one next to the big bores or 450s. Does it truly need actual updates besides new colors and BNG? Yes it does, at least to be competitive with the YFZ450(carb model) and LTZ400. Would it be hard for Honda to drop the 400EX swingarm and shocks and install 450R bits onto it? Nope, it would likely cost as much or less to do this than to keep two seperate parts lines. However, in doing so, the 400EX might actually cannibalize sales from the *possibly* higher profit margins of the 450R.

Honda is having a hard time selling the 400EX at it's MSRP of $6399 when the LTZ400 is $7099 and the YFZ450 is only $6899. I don't see how Honda can compete with Yamaha with a difference like that. Even with the $500 difference the YFZ is WAY over $500 more quad than the EX. I looked up prices on the EX, LTZ400 and YFZ450 from hondaeasttoledo.com

13 400X - $5952
13 LTZ400 - $6399
13 YFZ450 - $6499

With that price difference why would anyone be stupid enough to purchase the Honda over either the LTZ or YFZ? I simply don't understand how Honda is still profitable in the ATV market as they do not make a single ATV that is at the top of it's class or even in the middle of it.

Honda will do to the 400EX as they have done to every good product they have ever had. They will simply let it slip into obscurity while continuously beating it with their money stick until there is nothing left to give and the market has moved on to bigger and better things. Just like they have with the 250X/300EX, Recon, TRX90, Rancher, Rincon, etc..

Looking into the future of powersports, I don't see Honda being a big player in it. Looking at their recent successes (sarcasm intended) like the 700XX, Big Red and Pioneer SxS, the CRF250L dual sport and CBR250R, I can only hope they understand that making terrible or below average machines will eventually hurt them in the long run..

RNL
07-06-2013, 07:00 AM
Honda could do that and likely will. The issue with updates and such is the market place. Yamaha, Polaris and Can Am/BRP seem to be the only manufacturers putting forth the testicular fortitude to make new machines/update existing ones and new classes (YFZ-R/X, Raptor 125/250, 700 getting updates nearly every year, Rhino SxS, Polaris RZR creating the sport SxS class, Can Am for basically everything they currently sell).

The 400EX is simply no longer the quad it used to be. It is now relegated to being a wife/gf/beginner quad, that is sad. The EX used to be the go to quad for racing, now it's laughed at when someone rolls in on one next to the big bores or 450s. Does it truly need actual updates besides new colors and BNG? Yes it does, at least to be competitive with the YFZ450(carb model) and LTZ400. Would it be hard for Honda to drop the 400EX swingarm and shocks and install 450R bits onto it? Nope, it would likely cost as much or less to do this than to keep two seperate parts lines. However, in doing so, the 400EX might actually cannibalize sales from the *possibly* higher profit margins of the 450R.

Honda is having a hard time selling the 400EX at it's MSRP of $6399 when the LTZ400 is $7099 and the YFZ450 is only $6899. I don't see how Honda can compete with Yamaha with a difference like that. Even with the $500 difference the YFZ is WAY over $500 more quad than the EX. I looked up prices on the EX, LTZ400 and YFZ450 from hondaeasttoledo.com

13 400X - $5952
13 LTZ400 - $6399
13 YFZ450 - $6499

With that price difference why would anyone be stupid enough to purchase the Honda over either the LTZ or YFZ? I simply don't understand how Honda is still profitable in the ATV market as they do not make a single ATV that is at the top of it's class or even in the middle of it.

Honda will do to the 400EX as they have done to every good product they have ever had. They will simply let it slip into obscurity while continuously beating it with their money stick until there is nothing left to give and the market has moved on to bigger and better things. Just like they have with the 250X/300EX, Recon, TRX90, Rancher, Rincon, etc..

Looking into the future of powersports, I don't see Honda being a big player in it. Looking at their recent successes (sarcasm intended) like the 700XX, Big Red and Pioneer SxS, the CRF250L dual sport and CBR250R, I can only hope they understand that making terrible or below average machines will eventually hurt them in the long run..

Well said. I don't think because something's bulletproof that it doesn't deserve or need updates and minor tweaks as time goes on to make it better. The Z400 is pretty dam reliable to and look where it sits today compared to it's release a decade ago.

DragonGunner
07-06-2013, 09:54 AM
The 400ex will stay the same, because there is such a huge surplus of them out there....why buy a new 400ex when you can buy one in great shape a few yrs old for around 2000.00 give or take. Which is probably why sales doesn't justify putting more money and upgrades on it. Gotta be crazy to buy new. How long they will be around is hard to say..but like the trx250r, they will always be out there somewhere going strong.

OZ-T
07-06-2013, 11:02 AM
The 400ex will stay the same, because there is such a huge surplus of them out there....why buy a new 400ex when you can buy one in great shape a few yrs old for around 2000.00 give or take. Which is probably why sales doesn't justify putting more money and upgrades on it. Gotta be crazy to buy new. How long they will be around is hard to say..but like the trx250r, they will always be out there somewhere going strong.

Yep, 400EX easily qualifies as one of the most notable, legendary sport quads of all time like it or not. They are here to stay for awhile far as I can tell and I am glad they are, even if they only come out with new plastics designs every few years, it seems to be enough to peak interest.

tpyatt52
07-14-2013, 05:05 PM
Not sure if anyone else happened to notice the article in the July edition of dirtwheels, but the main story covered the 400ex and how it was the "crocodile" of sport quads. In other words, older than everything else, but still pack one hell of a punch. Many of you talk about cost and how its only a tad cheaper than lets say a YFZ. But what happens if (more like when) something goes wrong? The Honda with its simple yet effective design is far more easier to maintain or modify than a YFZ or even the Trx450. Plus the aftermarket for a 400ex is almost endless. This happens when things do not change for almost 15 years. Although (stock) its not the fastest, most complex or "updated" it is still one of the best overall quads, with the most "bang for the buck".