PDA

View Full Version : dodge ram 2500 cummins shaking problem

m0t0xk1d
09-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Today i just picked a 2005 dodge ram 2500 with a cummins. the thing runs great and has low miles and i love it lift kit.

the problem is Going down the highway at about 65 - 70 mph when you hit a bump it SHAKES really bad and violently . it seems quite dangerous. what could be causing this?

The truck is a 2500 but it has all the powerwagon optoins such as blistien shocks and stabilizer and so on. the recall for the stablilizer has been done also

m0t0xk1d
09-02-2010, 07:44 PM
heres a pic :D

bens250ex
09-02-2010, 08:07 PM
i know there is something with the steering on these trucks that cause this problem. there is a kit you can buy that is suppose to help fix it. Its called the death wobble if i remember correctly. i can't remember what site i saw the kit on ill look around and see, if you dont mind me askin how much did you give for it?

m0t0xk1d
09-02-2010, 08:38 PM
if you could find that it would be a great help. is it a cheap or expensive fix? there was a recall on the steering stabilizer but it has been fixed.

we bought it at a used dealership so it was a bit expensive. it has all the options possible like navigation, dvd player and everything possible, blistien shocks. it has the works. it was 28,900 retail but they took our offer of 26,900 but with our trade of our 2003 ram 2500 laramie it ended up being 18,200.

It was drive perfect and i love the truck but this kind of worries of me.

CJM
09-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Bump steer probably, check the stabilizer (shock mounted to the steering setup) if it has one. But I would check over the frontend with a fine tooth comb, things like worn out ball joints, drag links, pitman or idler arms, worn shocks or even out of balance tires or alignment can cause it.

Could also be the lift kit..

Have it checked out by a professional.

09-03-2010, 04:17 AM
They sell a duel stabilizer kit for that truck that i would look into. you can get one for about 80$ from rough country. get the front end in the air. make sure its all tight. Also a wider front tire will help with it. My truck had a slight wobble on highway bumps. I got 12.5 inch wide tires and i never had another problem.

Scro
09-03-2010, 06:49 AM
My buddy had the same problem on his Dodge 2500, just like yours infact. It ended up being the type of tire he was running. He bought the correct tire for the weight of the truck and never had the problem again. His front tires were actually bouncing off the ground at 70+ when hitting a small bump. And inside the truck, it looked like the steering column was moving several inches up and down...scared the crap out of me the first time I rode with him. It was so bad, two people could bounce on the front end and the tires would come off the ground sitting still.:eek2:

Ruby Soho
09-03-2010, 07:18 AM
put some bigger tires on it

m0t0xk1d
09-03-2010, 08:29 AM
it has the blistien dual stabilizer. its a ram that was basically made into a powerwagon, so it has the good shocks and dual stabilizer and a few more neat things. even says power wagon on the back but the guy before who ordered it ordered it as a ram so he could get the diesel in it.

the tires a 285/ 17 i think im not sure ill get back to oyu on that one.

its more of a side to side shake and there is alot of feedback in the steering wheel.

Scro, was your friends feeling like a side to side shake or more of a up and down shake? mine is bad like the whole SHAKES.
Ben250ex had it perfect when he called it the death wobble cause thats exactly what it feels like

Scro
09-03-2010, 09:46 AM
If you continued the speed, it wouldn't stop shaking. The only way he could get it stop was slow down to about 45. It was an extremely violent up and down shake. Every thing would shake from the dash and steering wheel, to the door panels. I was riding in another vehicle watching the front end, and it looked as though the front end was "seesaw-ing" (if that makes any sense). One side would come up, then the other, etc...really fast.

He bought the truck with a set of heavier, mud tread tires and wheels on it. When these were on, it would never get the shakes. He put the smaller, road tires on for a road trip (much like you have), and that's when it started doing it. Imagine having that happen pulling a 28 foot tri-axle.:eek2: He put the bigger tires back, and hasn't had the problem since.

It doesn't make any sense as to why the smaller tires caused the problem, but that's all he changed.

Scro
09-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Just got off the phone with him. He said he has had tires with load range E and D since then without any shaking. Anything lower than that, it would shake.

bens250ex
09-03-2010, 12:26 PM
http://dodgeram.info/tech/mods/trackbar/index.html

http://mostly-linux.blogspot.com/2009/02/dodge-ram-2500-death-wobble-cure.html

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/dodge/0807dp_db_diesel_performance_steering_box_stabiliz er/index.html

check all front end parts ball joints ect, make sure tires are rated for that truck i wouldnt run anything other than E on my HD truck. Its a big problems with dodge just look around and find the best parts to fix it with

CJM
09-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Yes, if the tires are only C rated they arent heavy enough for the truck and flex to much.

spanky101
09-05-2010, 08:41 AM
There are a couple different fixes for the problem you are having. First of all get the proper load range tires if you don't have them. Then there are a couple different things you can do. I believe the problem your experiencing is death wobble, as it's known, and the best fix if i remember is an adjustable track bar. Go to cumminsforum.com and look around. The best site for the cummins hands down and they will be able to help you tremendously!

06 Honda 450R
09-05-2010, 10:47 PM
DODGE.... :blah:

rollie
09-06-2010, 08:11 AM
motoxkid, where you at jolly this past weekend? i thought i saw that truck in the pits haha

m0t0xk1d
09-06-2010, 10:25 AM
yea i was at jollys, we were parked in the middle sorta right near all the canadians.

the tires that we have on it now are a load rating of D so i think those are fine. I think were going to take it to this place called Reggies near us, they do all offroad trucks and stuff see if they can help us with a fix.

When we got it inspected we were told it could be the trac bar because it was maxed out down at the bottom? i believe thats what he said.

If it helps at all its just a block type of lift kit thats right over the shock. its just like a solid block of metal