PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket A-Arm Lowdown

vaget22
09-02-2010, 06:55 PM
I was wondering if you install aftermarket A-arms that are longer than stock, do you need different shocks? I mean , do you need longer shocks? Or does it just depend on the a-arms.

honda400ex2003
09-02-2010, 07:32 PM
you dont "need" them. it will be super soft so if you like to ride on really soft then keep the stockers. the reason for getting new shocks is so that they are valved correctly to the shock. this makes them perform how you want them to with a given weight on them. the torque on the shock is increased with more length of the arm. the shock has to combat this and requires (more valving, i am assuming but not sure) it would have to let more oil through to be compressed to let it get harder quicker. this is the reason to get new shocks. hope this clears it up. steve

honda400ex2003
09-02-2010, 07:34 PM
you need longer shocks if you get a long travel arm setup. the mounting point is different on the arm to allow for more shock length thus giving more travel since you can have a longer shaft in them. you will not be able to run stock shocks with LT arms at all. steve

vaget22
09-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks Steve, that clears it up a bit. So if I was to go with standard travel like +2 arms I might want to upgrade to some 450R shocks?

250x_kyle
09-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by vaget22
Thanks Steve, that clears it up a bit. So if I was to go with standard travel like +2 arms I might want to upgrade to some 450R shocks?

yes that would be a good idea. and if you have the extra dime while ur at it send the 450r shocks out and have them revalved

dustin_j
09-03-2010, 08:49 AM
If your aftermarket a-arms are longer than stock, with a standard shock mount location, then the leverage ratio is increased (more wheel travel per the same shock shaft travel). Therefore, heavier rate springs are needed to hold up your machine. Since heavier springs are used, valving will need to be changed to control these springs to the rider's liking.

If you buy "long travel" a-arms, they are really just longer shock a-arms. They may also change leverage ratio (increase shock shaft travel to lower leverage ratio), which can be a benefit for the shock builder. With a 48-50" wide setup, the wheel travel is the same between long travel and standard travel; sometimes the shock shaft travel is the same too.

slightlybent47
09-03-2010, 02:59 PM
I put stock 450 shocks on my +2 a arms and it feels just fine to me. The shocks were brand new and only had a few rides on them so I thought since they were new I would use them a bit before rebuilding them. I don’t know how much better it would be if they were re done though, I may have just adapted to the shock the way it is. I guess I’m just talented like that. lol

vaget22
09-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm thinking of maybe doing this in the future and just doing my homework.

F-16Guy
09-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
you need longer shocks if you get a long travel arm setup. the mounting point is different on the arm to allow for more shock length thus giving more travel since you can have a longer shaft in them. you will not be able to run stock shocks with LT arms at all. steve
Most suspension systems' travel is limited by the joints, not the shocks. The purpose of using a longer shock and moving the lower mounting point out on the arm is to increase shock shaft/piston speed. Faster piston speed means the shock is more sensitive to valving changes because more oil is flowing through the piston's shim stack for a given amount of arm movement. The longer shock body also allows for a longer, more progressive and tuneable spring rate.

honda400ex2003
09-04-2010, 06:22 PM
thanks for a better explanation! I knew i was off base a bit but close enough for the discussion at the time. thanks again, steve