PDA

View Full Version : starting problems again...

bean2080
09-02-2010, 12:28 PM
well if you remember about a year ago i bought a used 450r that had alot of stuff done to it but only half, the guy never adjusted the valves or rejetted and had wires cut and just hanging, there for the quad would never run.

well about four or so months ago i finally got the valves adjusted right, wires cleaned up some and got it jetted with a 170 jet. untill about a week ago the quad ran great, no backfireing, sputtering, it ran great.

here recently the quad isnt too great, it still runs awesome but it takes 10 min to get the quad started. just about a half hour ago i got it started after alot of kicks and it would only stay running if i gave it throttle, but once it ran for about 5 sec or so i could just let it idle and it would just set and idle. i rode it for about 5 min to get it warmed up and everything then shut it off and tried to kick it again and it wouldnt start. its almost acting like its getting flooded, but yet again the quad ran great untill about a week ago.

about three months ago i adjusted the valves. its a 2008 and has been rode a decent amount so i would say the motor is well broke in. do you guys think that the valves could be out of adjustment again? thats really the only thing i could guess would be wrong since it ran fine not long ago. i am going to check the valves anyway just to see but do you think thats the only problem? i race XC but i dont beat the quad to death, but i do race the quad.

any ideas on this would be great, im done racing for the season. it just bugs me too much when i know something isnt right on the quad lol

thanks alot

Chino886
09-02-2010, 01:43 PM
my vote is valves.

BSTURDIVANT
09-02-2010, 07:11 PM
If it has a K&N, or poor quality filter oil, then definatly valves!

bean2080
09-02-2010, 08:30 PM
i used a foam filter with the right oil. im going to tear into it here in a couple days to check the valves. if anyone else has any other ideas let me know since i will have it apart. just seems weird to me that the valves might need adjusting after me just doing it. im not complaining though, i rather it be something simple like this than something that will cost me alot of money.

hrc450er
09-03-2010, 07:49 AM
if this quad has the stock valves in it then you need to adjust the valves and check them more often. the ti valves start to wear fast once you've got some time on them. i never had to adjust mine for the first year or so but once i had to it seemed like they were out of adjustment anout every race. i replaced them with ss valves and never looked back

bean2080
09-03-2010, 08:37 AM
thanks alot guys. i am going to check and adjust my valves and if they go out of adjustment again ill look into some aftermarket valves.

3racers
10-09-2010, 09:00 PM
We had one that started taking about 20 kicks to start them sometimes only 3 or 4 checked or replaced whole top end. Come to find out had a weak stator?? Went to a few honda mech. they coundnt find the problem had the spare stator all the time and was free top end cost me 300 and still had not fixed. Always fired when checked spark.Just a thought

bean2080
10-09-2010, 09:46 PM
it ended up being my valves, they were way out of adjustment and i will be needing new valves. starts fine now but it still needs some new valves down the road.

quadman21
10-14-2010, 07:10 AM
Bean, i read where you said it was three months or so since you had adjusted your valves. How far out of spec where they? Did you ever determine why it was hard to kick in your other post?

Im curiuous because I am having the same issues on my 05. I am replacing my timing chain (stretched) and found my intake valves are WAY out, Almost .011"even though I had them adj about 4 rides and 1 race ago. I'm hoping when I put it back together it will solve my hard to kick issue.

bean2080
10-17-2010, 08:02 PM
my intake valves were so far out of adjustment that i couldnt even get a .001 feeler guage in it. that for sure fixed the not wanting to start problem but i still think its kicking a little to hard. i drained my oil and cut my oil filter open and there were no shavings at all, i also triple check my decomp adjustment and it was also fine. im not really sure why itsdoing it so im just going to ride it.

EXKid416
10-29-2010, 07:48 PM
This is an easy one, replace your valves, do a carb service. That should fix it. As soon as the Ti valves get zero clearance they are on their way out. Don't adjust them more then 3 times if they keep getting tight, it could cause cam damage. I also recommend doing a piston & rings if you have the valves and seats done. Also check the timing chain slack since you'll be right there.

EXKid416
10-29-2010, 07:49 PM
This is an easy one, replace your valves, do a carb service. That should fix it. As soon as the Ti valves get zero clearance they are on their way out. Don't adjust them more then 3 times if they keep getting tight, it could cause cam damage. I also recommend doing a piston & rings if you have the valves and seats done. Also check the timing chain slack since you'll be right there.

honda_rider21
11-01-2010, 12:31 PM
How exactly do you check the valvles

EXKid416
11-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Visual inspection typically. Generally though if you adjusted a "no clearance" condition a few times they are bad. You can also do a leak down check before you adjust the valves. It's a good idea to do piston & rings while doing valve service just because once you loosen those head nuts the base gasket needs to be replaced regardless (or else it leaks) so you'll be right there.