PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Centermount?

SilverLake250R
09-02-2010, 09:39 AM
I was wondering if anyone makes a quiet/quieter silencer for a centermount exhaust. I have an ESR9 centermount and it is by far the best pipe I have had, with the most response, great midrange and awesome top-end with real good over-rev, but it is loud as ****. I got the spark arrestor end cap from ESR, it's a nice billet piece, but obviously it is still really loud. Maybe someone makes a turn-down type? I don't know... a turndown might also help with the black **** all over my rear fenders underneath too. It's not really a big deal, because I only ride at Silver, but there's no way I will pass the db test on the weekends so I just throw the quad in my truck and go up that way, but it is a pain when I want to go back to the parking lot and buy some gatorade or something from the hot sluts in the store..

Honda 250r 001
09-02-2010, 11:34 AM
I suggest that you re pack your silencer. My esr trx 5 centermount is quiet as hell! Id actually like it to be a bit louder.

SilverLake250R
09-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Hmm I just bought it basically new... Maybe I will try pack a ****load of packing in there, because I did notice it was pretty loose when I put the new end cap on.

1promodfan
09-02-2010, 01:02 PM
What I did with my ESR pipe was install a turn down from Duncan Racing. I drilled the rivots off, and installed the turn down. I had to take a dremel and make the holes a little bigger, but its not too bad. The Duncan turn down has allen bolts that screws into the end cap. It puts all the sound down towards the ground. I also noticed the silencer could use a little more packing. I hope this helps.

maryland450r
09-02-2010, 01:32 PM
I'm going to buy a duncan end cap turndown for mine too. It should serve multiple purposes like 1promodfan said. It looks better (in my opinion), might take the sound down a tad, and will definitely help keep the black stuff off my white plastic.

CODY_M11
09-02-2010, 02:36 PM
I have heard that you do not want to pack your silencer to tight or you will loose performance. Is this not true?

09-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by CODY_M11
I have heard that you do not want to pack your silencer to tight or you will loose performance. Is this not true?

I was under the same impression. Not only might performance suffer, I don't think an over-packed silencer will absorb the noise as well. Just use your judgement and pack it snug, not overly-tight.

SilverLake250R
09-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Ok, sounds good. Do you guys use the sheets of packing like it comes with from ESR or do you think the more expensive shredded stuff works better?

utah250r
09-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Are you guys buying just the end cap or are you buying the Fatboy quiet upgrade kit?

http://www.duncanracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=98

1promodfan
09-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by utah250r
Are you guys buying just the end cap or are you buying the Fatboy quiet upgrade kit?

http://www.duncanracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=98

I bought just the end cap................

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s291/1promodfan/New250Rpics002.jpg

maryland450r
09-02-2010, 07:22 PM
I actually just purchased the kit tonight. I figured I could probably call them and tell them I damaged my endcap on a fatboy silencer and might be able to get the endcap alone but figured screw it..

mxduner
09-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by 1promodfan
What I did with my ESR pipe was install a turn down from Duncan Racing. I drilled the rivots off, and installed the turn down. I had to take a dremel and make the holes a little bigger, but its not too bad. The Duncan turn down has allen bolts that screws into the end cap. It puts all the sound down towards the ground. I also noticed the silencer could use a little more packing. I hope this helps. how much did that help the sound?

buford
09-03-2010, 09:52 AM
I buy the packing that is the loose kind but has a fabric outer wrapping on it. It has a cardboard tube going through the middle of it, the kind that looks like the tube that's on paper towels when you get to the end of the roll. All you do is slide the end of the center section into the paper tube, and pull it through the packing. Then install the packing in the muffler. It's easy as heck and it's very quiet and lasts along time.

Moose Racing sells this stuff and has it in different sizes. The only way you will really get your muffler quiet is to make it longer, 12-13 inches seems to be about right. I do like a turn down as well, it does seem to help a little bit.

1promodfan
09-03-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
how much did that help the sound?

I think it helped quite a bit. It directs all the sound towards the ground, so it helps absorb the sound. Don't get me wrong, its still noisey, but no ways near like it was.