PDA

View Full Version : header?

cryan54935
02-05-2003, 07:58 PM
I have a 2001 400ex with a e-series slip on. Carb is jetted with a stock pilot and 155 main. I plan to add an aftermarket header and an air filter with an outerware cover. I ride with a buddy who has a suzuki lz400 with a yoshi full system. He blows me away. I want to keep up with him. What type of filter should I buy and which header should I buy. I want to inrease my top end speed. I know different sprocket combinations could work to. I want to get my top speed up as much as I can without spending a fortune.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tprender
02-05-2003, 08:39 PM
Get a cam or a piston before the header if you want to keep up.

cryan54935
02-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Thanks for your input.

02-06-2003, 04:15 AM
Well you wont be getting all that much from a header so hold on to that $$$ and work on some other stuff.

The cam was a good suggestion and can help but you will loose bottom end with any decent cam thats going to help the top end so without getting a higher comp piston your no going to see any good overall gains just from a cam.

What I would suggest is to first do a few searches on cams, compression, bore kits etc and learn as much as you can.

You need to think of motor mods as working together. Some will do wonders if done right but others will do little or nothing just by themselves. an example is putting a high lift and duration cam in a stock motor, sure the cam will allow it flow more but the filter, exhaust and carb jetting will strangle it so it can not do its job and you wont get any more noticable hp from it.

Hope that helps you out

cryan54935
02-06-2003, 11:02 AM
Would you suggest a piston kit , a big bore kit or a cam. Which one would be the best bang for my bucks. I may evntually do everything, but money is tight now.

Thanks

roostu
02-06-2003, 12:41 PM
The best bang for your buck would be a hi compression piston, and for only a few more bucks get a cam.

Roost-U