PDA

View Full Version : All ESR 310 owners come on in...jetting changes

ckelly30
09-01-2010, 05:51 PM
I have an ESR 310 TRX 7 jug with TRX 7 pipe. It has only the factory port job and no other mods. I am running a 38 a/s with a 178 main, 52 pilot, DDJ needle on the 3rd clip position, and a standard number 7 slide. I am at sea level also.

Now here is my problem.... I tuned my carb with a number 6 slide which isn't the stock slide for a 38 a/s.

A number 6 slide is richer than the 7 I have in there now. I am trying to fine tune the carb and wanted to know how you other ESR 310 owners have your carbs tuned.

Before I dropped in the 7 slide it was gurgling between 1/8 and 1/4 throttle. It is definitely running a little leaner now with the 7 slide.

Please post your carb set ups and thoughts thanks.

latheboy
09-02-2010, 05:12 AM
I would try a 50 pilot, then move the needle leaner if you need it. I like the ddj needle. Many people use the dgh needle, but its too lean for my riding style.

I run the stock slode in the 38pwk, with a 50 pilot, ddj needle in the 4th from top, 185 main, on a 350pv.

A 52 pilot would be too fat for me, I am thinking of trying a 48 actually.

1promodfan
09-02-2010, 01:04 PM
On my 310 I have a 38 A/S w/ a #6 slide and I'm running a 45 pilot, dgh needle on the 2nd clip from the top, and a 170 main.

ckelly30
09-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks guys. Promod, are you at higher elevation? Your jetting seems kinda lean. Does that jetting run lean for you?

310 owners, keep posting thanks!

1promodfan
09-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by ckelly30
Thanks guys. Promod, are you at higher elevation? Your jetting seems kinda lean. Does that jetting run lean for you?

310 owners, keep posting thanks!

No I run close to sea level. It sounds lean, but actually according to my plug its about right. My plug is still showing that its still a little rich. I'd rather be richer than leaner.

The humidity where I live is crazy, so I think thats why I have to jet like I do.

ckelly30
09-02-2010, 07:22 PM
It does make sense that you have to jet it leaner due to the humidity.

Where do you live?

I am trying to fine tune between 1/8-1/4 which from what I've researched, is the needle diameter that plays the biggest role there.

I also want to rich my WOT, which, again from what I researched is the needle taper.

Also, I did a plug chop at WOT (bc it sounded like I was lean at 3/4-WOT) by putting a fresh plug in and while in neutral, held WOT for about 8-10 seconds and shut the bike off while holding it at WOT. Is this a proper way to conduct a plug chop?

09-02-2010, 07:24 PM

Where do you live?

I am trying to fine tune between 1/8-1/4 which from what I've researched, is the needle diameter that plays the biggest role there.

I also want to rich my WOT, which, again from what I researched is the needle taper.

Also, I did a plug chop at WOT (bc it sounded like I was lean at 3/4-WOT) by putting a fresh plug in and while in neutral, held WOT for about 8-10 seconds and shut the bike off while holding it at WOT. Is this a proper way to conduct a plug chop?

Your plug chop needs to be done with the engine under load.

ckelly30
09-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Awesome. Thanks man

mxduner
09-02-2010, 07:57 PM

it is your main jet for wot.

1promodfan
09-03-2010, 02:35 PM

Where do you live?

Like 8686 said, a plug chop should be done under load. You need to install a new plug and run it WOT and grab the clutch and pull the kill switch. The 1/8-1/4 is controlled by your needle, but I believe your pilot might play a role too. (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong)

Your WOT is controlled by your main jet. You needle taper is where you spend most of your riding time. You think about it, most time your in 2nd-4th gear and that needle is very important. It can be a pain trying to find the right one. Mine still has a little "gargle" around 1/4 throttle, but overall it runs great. I live in North Carolina, and it gets real humid here.

latheboy
09-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Most people would say the pilot jet is out of play above 1/4 throttle or so. But...

The pilot jet size always affects jetting. Anytime the engine is running, fuel will be pulled thru the pilot jet. But, changing the pilot jet has a very small effect (not very noticable) on fuel mixture in the upper RPM ranges.