PDA

View Full Version : Cam trouble guys alittle help plz

quadgod440ex
02-05-2003, 07:52 PM
i have a white brothers web cam in my 400 right now im looking to get a hot cam stage 2 i took my head off last night to just check it out cause i just raced the first race of the season i was just looking and i noticed that the cam was making grooves in my rocker arms...i do have stock rocker arms still...then i looking at the cam and the cam it self had made some grooves on it and i remembered that i heard a noise that sounded like the valves i checked all that and there fine so i think it is the rockr arms and the cam that did it .......if i took the cam to a machine shop could they mayb like redo it or something i need to get new rocker arms cause these ones have like an indent in the middle what could this be from?? anything i could do to save this cam?? throw me some opinions thanks for reading guys

TRX_Thumper
02-05-2003, 08:24 PM
time for a new cam an rockers...no way of goin around it

ridered03
02-05-2003, 08:25 PM
man that sucks!!!!!!

BKVIEW4U
02-05-2003, 08:31 PM
yep sounds like some wore out stuff . u sure the cam didnt need hardface rockers?

kj400
02-05-2003, 09:26 PM
the white bros is a hard welded cam which will wear on the rockers. i talked to white bros. and they said to atleast put new stock rockers in with the cam and to change the oil often. as for your cam now about all you can do is use it for a core. new rockers from the dealer will run 120.

YZROOSTINYA
02-06-2003, 04:21 AM
my bud has a white brothers cam with stock rockers, over 200 hours on the rebuild and about 100 atr least on the rockers before that, no probs on this end, sumpin went wrong. low oil, too hot, dirt......

Sick0
02-06-2003, 07:14 AM
I hate to say this but I would check the head as well. My friend bought a '99 and the cam, head and rockers all were groved badly. He had to replace all. I think you can get the head fix though. I would just check into it.

quadgod440ex
02-06-2003, 09:06 AM
thanks for replying with all the help guys....i did check all the head and it will be fine if i replace the cam and the rockers it isn grooved t bad i dont think.....know if i put stock rockers on it with another stock cam untill i get the money i would have to change the valves and timing for it to start or even run right,right ?

quadgod440ex
02-06-2003, 09:07 AM
another thing i changed the oil after just about every two rides any other suggetions why that could have happened for later referinces?

YZROOSTINYA
02-06-2003, 11:17 AM
anythime you mess with the valve cover, cam or rockers ALWAYS double check the clearance

quadgod440ex
02-06-2003, 11:37 AM
GUYS I FOUND THE PROBLEM i think.........well i was replacing the clutch in my bike and at the top of where the side case sits there is two little oil gusset things where oil is supose to come out of i guess......well i put silicone gasket around my gasket cause it was ripped cause im to cheap to buy a gasket lol....well those holes were covered in silicone man im a retard...do u guys think that could have been my problem ?? let me know thanks

YZROOSTINYA
02-06-2003, 12:03 PM
thats a BIG YEPPER, no oil, like i said earlier ahema ahem

hahaha

cool fix it and start riding again!

quadgod440ex
02-06-2003, 12:53 PM
ha thanks yz......your not to far from me if your in philly your about 15min away maybe we will ride sometime

Leo
02-06-2003, 01:57 PM
RTV... the tool of the devil...

I swear it was invented by someone who wanted to sell parts. If I had a nickle for every atv/lawnmore/automotive engine/transmisison that I've seen destroyed by the overzealous use of the stuff I'd have a quad for every day of the week, LOL...

On a more serious note, if oil flow truly was restricted to the head I'd be taking a good hard look at the cam bearings, probably should be replaced also just to be safe..

Leo

quadgod440ex
02-06-2003, 02:02 PM
thanks i will make sure i check them

YZROOSTINYA
02-10-2003, 04:25 AM
Leo, good idea.

Quad, I am actually in Lansdale PA, but hit me up if yo wann a ride sometime.

I'm about 25-35 min north of philly