PDA

View Full Version : Archery season

ZeroLogic
09-01-2010, 03:29 PM
So whos gettin ready? I got my stand ready to go and my area all scouted! Oct 2 baby!:macho

Pappy
09-01-2010, 05:45 PM
I have a camera out, but will be forced to use a crossbow now:( We have to pull all our stands here at home due to logging the piece so its a kind of backwards season here so far.

Good side is MD now allows season long use of a crossbow so I plan on hunting at a few spots in that state.

ZeroLogic
09-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Finally hit that age where you can't pull a bow back huh Pappy.:blah:

It kills me to see younger guys using a crossbow. But then again I never seen a crossbow group like I do!:blah:

You aloud to bait down there?

Pappy
09-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Trust me, I prefer my regular bow. The xbow is heavy, loud and a PITA to lug around. I will say that under 30 yards I can group very well. When I used one to crop damage years ago, I was head shooting the majority of them (close to a neighborhood, no guns allowed and virtually no cover for drawing back) and only missed one and that was my fault all the way. I used mainly field tips near the end of work, it was way cheaper, I just passed on anything but a head shot.

The arthritis is the cause....no getting around it. I can draw my bow back now, but if i sit for an hour in a stand ..forget it...then when its really cold I cant draw it back at all. Its not the draw weight, just the pain. As much as I hunt, i'd rather sit inside and look out the window then put myself through that.....hell climbing the stand is bad enough:(

Yes on the bait, but the big boys tend to hit the feeders at night.....but a good downwind stand from teh feeder will produce as the bucks scent check the area!

ZeroLogic
09-02-2010, 06:54 PM
What kind of fps do them crossbows get? But I never understood how you would restring it after a shot up in a tree stand.

Sorry to hear about your arthritis though, I hope the best to ya!

Pappy
09-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Honestly, without looking I couldnt answer the FPS. Mine is 175# and zings them out pretty good.

When I was crop damaging, I could put the butt of the bow in my chest and draw the string back and nock another arrow....now thats impossible for me, and really not needed unless I happen to miss haha!

What really sucks is my shoulders have felt really good for months now that it is warm, but soon the temps will go down and the pain will return. I can get cortizone shots when i can afford them but they offer literally ust a day or two relief. A few pain killers, and lots of deep muscle massage has been the only way to get through it. The message itself just helps free the joint and get the juices flowing in the joint. Add to teh arthritis, i have Bursitus in my left shoulder and tendonitus in both now as well. This getting old **** really sucks.