PDA

View Full Version : more power 50cc

fomospede
09-01-2010, 01:30 PM
ok guys about time for the end of the season and looking to get more power ive got a grand to spend on the motor
08drx50
stage6 top end ported
stage 6 clutch,needs a cnc bell for ease of adj.
koso pipe
mikuni carb
stock ignition,has adjustable cdi box
what we need is power and dependability
give me some ideas!

bulldogfallon
09-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Suspension would be another way to go faster, if not already changed....

Most that do suspension after engine make sure their next build is suspension first.

The production 50cc class is lacking a home run pipe at the moment, so hold on to your $$$ for now

I bet there is a 50cc tuned pipe coming out before race seaaon starts

You could also look at a Inner Rotor Ignition as well, but you may find that some like them and some don't...

Maybe the pipe will come matched to a particular cylinder and ignition...who knows ;)

fomospede
09-01-2010, 09:24 PM
YEP SUSPENSION IS DIALED IN WORKS REMOTE RZZY WITH COMP AND REB CLICKERS AND A ELKA IN BACK THAT WILL BE UPGRADED TO LONG TRAVEL .
WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS OF A PVL IGNITION ?
ARE THERE BETTER VARIATORS? OR STICK TO THE STOCKER?

EthansDad
09-05-2010, 05:29 PM
so, we run a lot of 50s, stk and modified. let me give you my $.02.

first off, you'll never get it stupid fast. its just a 50 after all. you need to balance power with ridability. you can get good HP out of these 50s, but you lose ridability with a peaky ride (full throttle only can be hard to ride, no bottom).

if you are aiming for a 50 mod, the big parts are clutch, top end, bottom end and pipe. for best lap times, you need to put all that power on a good chassis with long travel and good suspension.

on motor, we have tried the malossi top end and the polini top end. both of those are better than the stage 6. the difference is both of those need a different bottom end (crank) to bolt on. the malossi has more power for sure, but is peaky and hard to ride. the polini is good linear power. you might not get the holeshot with a polini, but you will get great laptimes.

on the clutch, you need an adjustable clutch, like the stage 6. the reason is the 50s tend to have no bottom end and you need to stall (clutch shoe engagement) past the bottom end to compensate.

on the pipe, mum is the word! experiment. the stock 90 pipe is pretty good. others have said the hetrick gen 3 is good, others have build their own. it will be all about the pipe next year.

good luck!

-EA

fomospede
09-05-2010, 06:52 PM
ethansdad , thanks for the input i think we are making enough power, after this wkend i am assured it is seat time and training to get the most out of what we have!
reliability is the key for us as are races stretch out to almost 45 minutes i think we will just arange ourselves to get a massive amount of seat time and training methods will need tobe reassessed .
:)
as for the pipe you guys must be smoking something for the price they want for them! CRAZY some of them well above 500$ holy sh*t
:eek2:
we are running a koso and have a drr90 ,the drr pipe works on top, but bottom is noticably less but does rev out higher
considering in xc racing sometimes you have to climb hill from a slow speed bottomend is what we need

bulldogfallon
09-06-2010, 02:27 PM
I think "EA" has you covered for the 50cc world

Yeah the pipes are pricey, but without a large volume order, the pipes cost these builders almost as much as they sell them for.

Plus all costs fromt the R&D/material of the pipes that didn't make the cut...

But yes the price tag still provides a substantial "ouch" for sure :)

Seat time is always a difference maker.....

I know you are meticulous enough to get every ounce of power out of your machine :) :)

RCR_531
09-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Yes his quad ran very well and thanks for pointing me in the right direction to get mine fixed up. It was nice to finally get to meet you guys and looking forward to meeting up with you guys many more times.

BTW the cover is coming off tonight, so if your ears have a ring to them tonight you will know why.

fomospede
09-06-2010, 05:17 PM
RCR ,call me anytime .hope you come over to the IA xc race .they are excellent for skill building! PS you see the post here about that polini jug?
Gary ,we will be working with you soon again thanks!

EthansMom
09-06-2010, 06:18 PM
one other note since you are doing XC for 45 mins at a pop. if you do get your 50 screaming up on the pipe and use the clutch to stall high for good hit, its is absolute heck on the torque spring.

I honestly don't think our 50 would run for 45 minutes at a stretch how its setup now. we even saw a number of 50s with similar setups fade at about the 5 minute marks on a big MX track.

If your goal is to make it to the checker, you might want to tame things down a bit. my $.02 is go light on the roller weights were with a new spring you might only get 1/2-3/4 up the front variator for belt travel. slow at the start for sure and on straights, but it will last and get faster while everyone else is getting slower :)

ugh -this is Ethansdad using ethansmom's laptop while she is not looking ....

fomospede
09-06-2010, 08:37 PM
actually this setup is staying togather and lasts about 7.5hrs by the hr mtr ! with the use of a tach and my ear ,i can hear the torque spring starting to let go and just replace everything front and rear at that point!
belt
clutch shoe springs
variator spring
and inspect the rollers and clean it all
but i will say that Carter uses momentum riding and doesnt ride pinned ,which may save me for now!?!
2011 will be the last yr for 50cc and hopefully we can run a 4stroke soon!

redonkulousruntsracing
09-08-2010, 08:34 PM
The fastest 50 I have ever seen had a Haggerty intake, Stage 6 PVL and a Trackside pipe on it. I wont give away all of the guys secrets, but it's the only 50 I have seen that needed larger than a 24mm carb and he is experimenting with a 26mm. revving over 14000 rpm !!!