PDA

View Full Version : Help with cooling issue?

89trx250r
08-31-2010, 09:38 PM
Hey guys need some help here i was riding my 250 tonight and i blew the coolant hose+fitting out of the head of my motor the head gasket has no cracks or any defects its pretty mint and ive flushed the radiator probably 1 week prior to this happening so i know there's no clogs everything with the impeller is working to spec. So my question is did i just have bad luck with an old worn fitting or should i check something else also is there any way to fix this since it will take like 1-2 weeks for my new powerhead to get here and i wanna ride it i hate the 4 stroke!:(

1promodfan
09-01-2010, 06:14 AM
Could just be that your hose was loose or getting wore out. Mine did that a few weeks ago. I cut the hose, out it back on and took off riding again without any issues.

89trx250r
09-01-2010, 01:51 PM
no no i dont think you understand the fitting thats pressed into the head from the factory blew out it had nothing to do with hoses it had to do with pressure in the cooling system but idk where it would be coming from and also i replaced my hoses the first day i got the bike lol so i know its not that

wilkin250r
09-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Hmm, it's possible the fitting just wasn't in there quite right, and it blew out under normal pressure.

If you had extremely high pressure, your radiator cap would blow off that pressure, and it would fill up your overflow bottle. If you've already taken that off, then you would have just blew coolant on the ground, or wherever it dumps out.

Radiator caps are pretty simple, it's just a spring and a rubber gasket/washer. Not much to go wrong, I can't imagine it's severely defective and is holding in 50lbs of pressure. I think the normal is around 13-15psi. Any higher, and it dumps pressure through the overflow tube.

89trx250r
09-01-2010, 05:48 PM
yea theres no other problems i can think of or anythign thats why i posted sometimes coolant flows from the overflow but thats just cause i either had too much in the rad or she got a bit hot id assume but nothing is defective with the cap i just wanted to make sure there wasnt some other internal issue i could be overlooking...

so do you think i would be able to jb weld the fitting back into the head or should i just not run it till i get my powerhead: /

wilkin250r
09-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I'd go ahead and risk the JB weld. What's the worst that happens? If it blows again, you'll know it, so it's not like you'll continue to run it and overheat it. The worst that happens is you'll be far from home, so I wouldn't go riding alone.

trx250r 88
09-01-2010, 07:56 PM
seen this happen before,i would try jb weld.

89trx250r
09-01-2010, 08:37 PM
woot alright thanks guys jbweld is setting overnight my dad said that originally but i was afraid but ive got a powerhead on the way so i figure the worst that could happen is itll do it again like you all said thanks ill post the results tommaro after i put it back togther!

1promodfan
09-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by 89trx250r
no no i dont think you understand the fitting thats pressed into the head from the factory blew out it had nothing to do with hoses it had to do with pressure in the cooling system but idk where it would be coming from and also i replaced my hoses the first day i got the bike lol so i know its not that

Sorry bro, I mis-read your post.

89trx250r
09-02-2010, 01:22 PM
no worries i appreciate the response man :) the funny part was after i read your response i was like wait did i type the wrong thing