PDA

View Full Version : D.I.D x ring atv chain

fatboy666
08-31-2010, 07:38 PM
so last month i bought a new D.I.D x ring gold series chain for 99.95. really nice *** chain. today was riding across the pit and my bike makes some noises and stalls. i look down and the chain snapped at the master link. smashed the "case saver" into the case and cracked all the way across and snapped the mounts for the " case saver" completely off.

the one that does suck is that D.I.D's site doesn't work, i lost my receipt and they have no phone number.

a nice ride through the woods turned into a disaster.

so i strongly suggest no one runs those chains. i know i never will again.

also does anyone know any "good" brands?

kenny450er
08-31-2010, 07:53 PM
i also had a d.i.d x ring gold series chain i didnt't break but it sure did strech alot went with a pro taper hasn't streched out yet

DnB_racing
08-31-2010, 09:49 PM
are you sure the link broke? usually its because the snap ring comes off if not installed properly, 9 out of 10 times people say there master link broke, when actually it was self inflicted.

not saying that's what happened to you

you might have been the 1 in 10 that broke

Baileygunns
09-01-2010, 06:13 AM
Did you put the clip on facing the right way?... That's another common reason for the masterlink to "fail"

D.I.D. is a "good" brand...

airmobile101
09-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Those are good chains. The master link is the weakest part of a chain. Usually, I just press in a new link piece instead of the master link piece. I run a Regina and had to adjusted it maybe twice out of 7 races. I say its a fluke what happened to you.

fastredrider44
09-01-2010, 10:46 AM
I've been pretty happy with the X-Ring chains. I abuse the crap out of them.:devil:

fatboy666
09-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Yeh I def had it on right. Always had it lubed and adjusted right too.

D Bergstrom
09-01-2010, 01:34 PM
I have ran DID chains forever. Never had a problem with any of them, I probably run them longer then I should also. Only time they strecth is after the first ride on a new one, after that I never touch them other then lubing before every ride.

As other have said, the master link is the weakest part of the chain. I run what comes with the chain and never a problem. My guess is you picked something up (rock, stick, etc.) and it got caught between the sprocket and chain, hence breaking the chain. Could happen to any chain, just one of those freak things. I think you are just a victim of bad luck, not a bad chain.

Doug

fatboy666
09-01-2010, 01:40 PM
yeh i guess so. but if it wasnt for bad luck i wouldn't have any luck at all.

Dirtjunkie85
09-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah i have never heard of a D.I.D failing but i always run the master link that you rivet on so it becomes just another link in the chain thus having no weakest link, cause those snap rings always come off and lost and the chain comes apart and causes major problems. D.I.D is all i run and i've never had or heard of a bad chain till this one. They only strectch once right after they are new and you adjust and they are good to go after that with regular lubing. Idk man but i say whatever chain you get press that master link on there! Stay away from the clip style master's and you shouldn't have anymore problems

fatboy666
09-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Yeh I would of rather have had a press on link but didn't get one. Next chain isn't gonna have a link at all. Can't afford another broken case

kenny450er
09-01-2010, 06:35 PM
when you go too buy a new case saver try the moose racing polyurethane case saver not sure what others think of it but would like to know i got one for mine its fat and fits nice and snug and dosent leave much room for the chain to rap up if it would break

airmobile101
09-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Moose or UPP case saver. They wrap around the shifter.

fatboy666
09-02-2010, 03:06 PM
im gonna try and fix the mounts for the case saver first.

DEVINF450R
09-03-2010, 07:47 PM
yeah D.I.D. chains are good... Ive ran alot of Regina chains and never had a problem w them and their plates are thicker than D.I.D., Renthal, Primary Drive, and Sidewinder. never compared to a pro taper