PDA

View Full Version : truck drivers, i need your help

woodsracer144
08-31-2010, 01:51 PM
ok so i found a 75 pete 359, 13 speed iicc shes been off the road a little while and needs brake work and the tanks drained and so on, how much work would it take to get it going again? the main reason i want it cause the corvette dash and it rather cheap i think, they want 2500 OBO but willing to go lower, has a V8 cummins, 903 im sure. with a wet kit.

what are your thoughts? thanks looking to do a little restore but its gonna but pulling a milk tanker and sand.

beags86
08-31-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
ok so i found a 75 pete 359, 13 speed iicc shes been off the road a little while and needs brake work and the tanks drained and so on, how much work would it take to get it going again? the main reason i want it cause the corvette dash and it rather cheap i think, they want 2500 OBO but willing to go lower, has a V8 cummins, 903 im sure. with a wet kit.

what are your thoughts? thanks looking to do a little restore but its gonna but pulling a milk tanker and sand.

sounds like it could be a good deal, but why was it taken off the road? hows the engine sound, hows the clutch? rear diffs? rubber? how does it shift? does the hyd. pump work? fifth wheel in good shape?, all these things really come down to how many miles it has on it. and was it on road truck of an off road truck?
(nothing tears a tractor up worse then road const.)
petes are the best, can't go wrong with an old pete.
i'm much more of a cat kind of guy but cummins are good powerplants.

on the other hand, if your willing to do some work to it, it could be a good deal.. think of it this way, you barely can pick up a good used 15 year old 3/4 ton pick up for 2500 in most parts of the country.

Tommy Warren
08-31-2010, 05:22 PM
I drive an 85 pete with the corvette dash and they are sweet. check the bunk for bubbles and rust....the top half of mine is fibreglass and the bottom half is steel and it rusts pretty quick around the doors and its a pain in the donkey to replace...

Tommy Warren
08-31-2010, 05:28 PM
here she is...hope this works

BlaineKaiser450
08-31-2010, 08:53 PM
I would buy it! Doesn't sound like too much work, and how bad *** would it be to say you have your own Peterbuilt with a massive Cummins???

WhiteZrider
08-31-2010, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren

Needs some 8 inch stacks, huge drop visor, and color matched full fenders :p

WhiteZrider
08-31-2010, 10:59 PM
heres my dads old pete, was pretty badass.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/vanscan/cid__0812072305.jpg

woodsracer144
09-01-2010, 12:31 AM
the truck was used with a dump tailer, reasoning the wet kit, the guy that has it paid 3K for it a few years ago and was gonna restore it but is disabled and never got to it, the guy he got it from was the first owner and he shut his business down and then parked it,

the guy said the only thing it really needs is to be looked over and have all hoses or weather checked parts replaced and the brakes worked on. my brother runs a 07 pete and has ran many petes and kenworths,

Im not really crazy over this V8 cummins my self, i wish it was just a straight 6.

the truck is about 4 hours away so I dont really know what to do, I dont have work on sunday so i might run up there and check it out...

whats a fair offer to send him? 2k cause i'll have to pay some one to bring it home for me...

woodsracer144
09-01-2010, 01:06 AM
I also was thinking about running a super single set up, this is what she looks like

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee169/Clutch91/76764037.jpg but she doesnt have the tag axle.

wilkin250r
09-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by beags86
think of it this way, you barely can pick up a good used 15 year old 3/4 ton pick up for 2500 in most parts of the country.

What are you talking about? I've got an old 3/4 ton pickup that I'm only trying to sell for $1800

400exrider707
09-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
What are you talking about? I've got an old 3/4 ton pickup that I'm only trying to sell for $1800

Probably not a diesel? It's tough to find a decent diesel pickup for those prices.

wilkin250r
09-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Probably not a diesel? It's tough to find a decent diesel pickup for those prices.

Naw, it's the 460...

ZeroLogic
09-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren

That is a real nice truck. I got a few more months til I can get my CLD.:macho

beags86
09-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

i didn't say you can't find one, just thats it harder to... plus your not in the mid-west. where i was raised at in the rust/corn belt there no such thing as trying to sell a pickup. lol the farmers, snow plowers, and rednecks snatch them up pretty quicky.

a 460 wouldn't last for sh*t if the truck is decent at all.

if you have a good rust free truck from the desert. you shoulod take it to the midwest... your sittin on gold my friend

beags86
09-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
the truck was used with a dump tailer, reasoning the wet kit, the guy that has it paid 3K for it a few years ago and was gonna restore it but is disabled and never got to it, the guy he got it from was the first owner and he shut his business down and then parked it,

the guy said the only thing it really needs is to be looked over and have all hoses or weather checked parts replaced and the brakes worked on. my brother runs a 07 pete and has ran many petes and kenworths,

Im not really crazy over this V8 cummins my self, i wish it was just a straight 6.

the truck is about 4 hours away so I dont really know what to do, I dont have work on sunday so i might run up there and check it out...

whats a fair offer to send him? 2k cause i'll have to pay some one to bring it home for me...

yeah figured that was the reason for the wet kit.
if you don't need that you could always take it off and try to sell it. get some money back.

sounds like it could be a square deal, i would offer 2 and be prepared to spend 2250, i am sure you could get her for that and still be ok.
i would stay alway from supers, there junk. but i guess it
depends on what you want to do...

woodsracer144
09-02-2010, 01:56 AM
mainly would run super cause i could get a deal on the stuff from my brother,

as fat as the V8 cummins goes are the bell houseings on big rigs the same as cars and trucks, is there a cat bell housing and a cummins or are they all pretty much universial? I was thinking about finding a different engine for it that isnt a V8, I was thinking about get a 3208 cat that is all mechanical, dad has a 3208e? its 50/50 with electrical injection, the pump is mechincanal but i think theres some other stuff thats not.

im not really sure what im gonna do yet, I think one way or another if i get it and i dont fix it up that i could re sell it or part it and keep some of the stuff i want and make money...

beags86
09-02-2010, 05:45 PM
i don't know, i have never dealt with a cummins v8, mostly a cat guy, and ih tractors, some of my familys case ih tractors have the cummins in them but there the inline 6's so my knowledge pretty much about cummins 6's. i know you can find cat 3406s all day, and i would think you could find a bell housing to match..

woodsracer144
09-02-2010, 11:50 PM
so i just need a plate from like a cat motor to mount to like I.E. 13 spd Eaton Fuller trans?

tri5ron
09-04-2010, 12:51 AM
Here's the one I drive....

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/IMG_7145.jpg

and here's my other one, (I'll sell this one Cheap!)...

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/IMG_6726.jpg

red88r
09-04-2010, 11:41 PM
I'd say buy it man...it's worth almost that much in scrap when the prices are high.

TRXNICK
09-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Not a bad looking old 359. First thing you need to do is get rid of that VT903. They were junk then and are sertainly junk now. They rattle and clang and smoke like there is no tomorrow. They aren't well known for high horsepower numbers either. These are expensive motors to fix and getting hard to find parts for. Find yourself a good 855 cummins also known as a 400 big cam. This is an inline 6 and a very inexpensive to buy, work on, and there is still a ton of parts out on the market for sale. You can make good power fron an 855 if you have the right guy working on it. The only model 855 to stay away from is the big cam IV. they have the low flow radiator system and take there own style radiator and they don't work worth a damn.

The trans is most likely a RTO12513, or a RTO14613. Either one is a good trans. the 12513 being the smaller of the two, will still stand up to a big cam cummins. Just drive the truck, shift every gear. Make sure the splitter works on the high side. Listen for a high pitched whinning sound at speed. If it is there the main bearings are getting worn. If it has a loud growling sound when you are in the throttle this too is a sign the bearings are tired. A reman 12513 goes for just a little over $1500 bucks with a good core.

Check the rear end housings where the tork arms are welded to the top. They have a tendency for cracking there. Also check where these arms bolt to the frame. If they were run worn out the frame could be posibly cracked rite there. Check under the springs where they sit on top of the housings. Older Petes have a tendency to crack there too. This is a fixable problem with a grinder and a good welder. Make sure you pull the fill plugs and look at the color of the oil, and smell it. If there is exsesive metal on the plug magnet this is not a good sign. Also look at the suspention bushings. If you try to roll the truck forwards and back with the brakes locked and it moves, this is a sign the bushings need replacing.

You want to check the front end wear parts as well. Check all the steering parts as well. All the spring shackles, if the upper and lower shackle bearings are touching or look like they are not on center they will need replacing.

Of course you want to look at all the brake linings and look at the drums for cracks. Look for any leaking wheel seals. Check the fifth wheel for sloppyness. Not just the jaws, but also the pivot bushings. Make sure the air slider works and the locking bars are not frozen into place. They can be a mother to get unfrozen!

On all 359's the cab roof corners are made from steel and the center section is aluminum. Look at the corners, they are notorious for rusting out. They can be replaced with new corners, or a one piece fiberglass roof top. There are a couple aftermarket companies making them now. Check the cab mounts in the front and the one in the rear of the cab. The rear one has a tendency to push up through the cab and also break the cross member it is attached to.

I hope this helps you. I don't mean to discourage you in your purchase, but these are common areas to look at and are all fixable with a little time and money. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me. I have owned two 359's and four 379's. I know alot about petes. Here is a pic of my 07 pete. This is my last truck. I plan on keeping it forever and just rebuild it every few years.

TWISTED
09-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Stay away from the 3208!!!!!! Find a 3406 B model and you'll be WAY better off.......

woodsracer144
09-06-2010, 09:51 AM
nick you didnt scare me at all, you really helped me when i look at the truck. he still has it next weekend i think im gonna drive up and take a look at it and see what shes got packing...

TRXNICK
09-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Woods, I see a couple guys are telling you to go to Cat power. This is a good idea, but it is going to be costly. Most places want a core engine for trade. They are not going to take a Cummins in and give you a Cat. So there for you will not have a core and will pay full price for the motor. Then you will have to change motor mounts and the bell housing. I believe you will need to change them anyway, going from the VT903 to any motor.

Just remember, it is an old girl but with a little tlc she can be a good old girl. The asking price is good too. Hell, it worth that much just for the parts.

Again, if you need any help or have any questions just drop me a PM. Good luck! Nick.

TWISTED
09-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by TRXNICK
Not a bad looking old 359. First thing you need to do is get rid of that VT903. They were junk then and are sertainly junk now. They rattle and clang and smoke like there is no tomorrow. They aren't well known for high horsepower numbers either. These are expensive motors to fix and getting hard to find parts for. Find yourself a good 855 cummins also known as a 400 big cam. This is an inline 6 and a very inexpensive to buy, work on, and there is still a ton of parts out on the market for sale. You can make good power fron an 855 if you have the right guy working on it. The only model 855 to stay away from is the big cam IV. they have the low flow radiator system and take there own style radiator and they don't work worth a damn.

The trans is most likely a RTO12513, or a RTO14613. Either one is a good trans. the 12513 being the smaller of the two, will still stand up to a big cam cummins. Just drive the truck, shift every gear. Make sure the splitter works on the high side. Listen for a high pitched whinning sound at speed. If it is there the main bearings are getting worn. If it has a loud growling sound when you are in the throttle this too is a sign the bearings are tired. A reman 12513 goes for just a little over $1500 bucks with a good core.

Check the rear end housings where the tork arms are welded to the top. They have a tendency for cracking there. Also check where these arms bolt to the frame. If they were run worn out the frame could be posibly cracked rite there. Check under the springs where they sit on top of the housings. Older Petes have a tendency to crack there too. This is a fixable problem with a grinder and a good welder. Make sure you pull the fill plugs and look at the color of the oil, and smell it. If there is exsesive metal on the plug magnet this is not a good sign. Also look at the suspention bushings. If you try to roll the truck forwards and back with the brakes locked and it moves, this is a sign the bushings need replacing.

You want to check the front end wear parts as well. Check all the steering parts as well. All the spring shackles, if the upper and lower shackle bearings are touching or look like they are not on center they will need replacing.

Of course you want to look at all the brake linings and look at the drums for cracks. Look for any leaking wheel seals. Check the fifth wheel for sloppyness. Not just the jaws, but also the pivot bushings. Make sure the air slider works and the locking bars are not frozen into place. They can be a mother to get unfrozen!

On all 359's the cab roof corners are made from steel and the center section is aluminum. Look at the corners, they are notorious for rusting out. They can be replaced with new corners, or a one piece fiberglass roof top. There are a couple aftermarket companies making them now. Check the cab mounts in the front and the one in the rear of the cab. The rear one has a tendency to push up through the cab and also break the cross member it is attached to.

I hope this helps you. I don't mean to discourage you in your purchase, but these are common areas to look at and are all fixable with a little time and money. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me. I have owned two 359's and four 379's. I know alot about petes. Here is a pic of my 07 pete. This is my last truck. I plan on keeping it forever and just rebuild it every few years.

Do you ever come into Va???? That name on the door looks familiar.....

TRXNICK
09-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Yes I go into Virginia. I'am no longer leased to Dana Transport though. I purchaced my own trailer and I'am fully independant now. I pull a 40' frameless dump now. I normally run from N.Y.C. to Ohio now. But I do occasionaly run down south.

TRXNICK
09-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Here is a shot of me dumping a load of New York's finest demo!

Tommy Warren
09-08-2010, 06:18 PM
too bad you weren't from canada....I have a couple c15's kickin around the shop....

TRXnick nice pete!!! is that a polished trailer too?

JForestZ34
09-08-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm not a truck expert by any means, but how long has this rig been sitting for.. That will dictate how much your going to spend to get in going down the road.. If it's been sitting for so long that the brakes won't release you need all new brake components.. Plus seals on the motor.. The price is right but your looking at spending some good $$$$ to get it to pass DOT inspection...

James

woodsracer144
09-08-2010, 08:15 PM
well i would assume its been a good 6 years of sitting and im gonna pass on it, my brother looked at it and he said it was junk way too much to re do, he said the rear end would prolly had to be redone and the motor and trans the same thing, thats way to much money when i could just go buy a running one for the amount of money i would have in it.

so im going to do the next best thing build a turbo ranger. 2.3