PDA

View Full Version : grenn wire mod

tach13
08-31-2010, 11:10 AM
Green wire mod(06+)
On the 06+ 450R's, underneath the hood, if you look at the CDI box, there are three plug in type boxes with multiple wires going into each one. If you are facing the CDI, The plug in box all the way to the left, There should be a green wire, if you cut that wire and heat shrink/grease the ends, You will get 1000extra RPM's and it will change the power curve slightly. THIS WILL ONLY WORK ON THE 06+ TRX'S.

Hey guys i saw this in the faq's, does anyone have a pic of which wire so i dont cut the wrong one?
thanks

Baileygunns
08-31-2010, 02:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hegCMdruEYs

MR4Engine202
08-31-2010, 02:52 PM
yeaa 1000 rpm is not beneficial unless you have mods your power curve falls off before the stock rev limit so your not gaining anything with a stock engine unless your constantly bouncing it off the limiter but in that case learn to ride lol

Baileygunns
08-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Put an 06+ HRC cam or an '02 CRF cam in there (same thing)

DnB_racing
08-31-2010, 10:02 PM
and it doesn't change the power curve or timing curve at all. the cdi (capacitor discharge ignition) does just what the name says, it goes to ground at a factory set limit, and discharges the capacitors causing a change in the spark output,giving you the limit. with green wire cut the limit is no longer an electrical limit, but its the limit of the motor and fuel and air the causes the motor to bogg. not really 1000 more rpms, but what ever your set up allows. which isnt much more!

jkiserracing
09-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Just curious. Would you do this with the stock cdi only or with an aftermarket one as well.

DnB_racing
09-12-2010, 09:53 PM
personally I would only do it with stock cdi and high comp piston and ported head and a high range cam,

the after market ones have their own limits and curves set up and depending on which you get you might not allow it to perform correct, with the ground (green wire to the discharge) removed

desratt
09-13-2010, 11:25 AM
I beleive cdi stands for "computer distributed ignition".

I ran my dyna ignition with and with out the green wire and it runs exactly the same... I think the dyna ignors the green wire all together.

some one do me a favor .. unplug that conector all together and try running... it may need to be a kicker though..
I am thinking we don't need it at all.

MR4Engine202
09-13-2010, 02:11 PM
beleive cdi stands for "computer distributed ignition".

deff not its capacitor discharge

DnB_racing
09-13-2010, 05:22 PM
cdi (capacitor discharge ignition)... there is no processor for it to be called an computer, or smart in any way. all factory presets no variables. its just a bunch of caps that store energy and give a constant spark, until the factory set rpm and then the capacitors discharge and give the rev limit

EDIT and in real terms it really isn't even looking at rpms but the output of the stator gets higher at higher rpms and it has a voltage and frequency cycle limit

desratt
09-13-2010, 07:50 PM
it is a computer in the manner that it takes throttle position and adjusts spark advance with that and not with mechanical means..
i'm not saying I am right in the name of it though.

DnB_racing
09-14-2010, 06:05 AM
its done by a series of resistors not by a processor it needs a processor to be considered a computer operated ignition, and it grounds out the capacitors to create the limit.....

im saying you not right also! in the name or function,,lol, please trust me in this one!

the ignition is not a smart ignition (meaning that it cant change anything on its own)other then what the flow of electricity allows thu the resistors, and it is mechanical!.... a resistor is a mechanical device that adjusts the flow of electricity, and that's not at all how a processor reacts. its not considered a brain or computer: its a analog signal! not digital, meaning 1s and 0s. a processor converts the analog signal into numbers on a processor (roughly speaking)

stoopidbot
09-14-2010, 07:03 AM
A Capacative Discharge Ignition unit holds the current from the generator, raises its frequency to thousands of volts and then fires it like a shot through the spark plug lead at precicely the right time to keep your motor running. A CDI unit incorperates a solid state logically programmable chip allowing unprecedented control over engine ignition timing throughout the engines entire rev range, as well as limiting the eventual speed of the motor under agreed conditions.
What could be thought of as a programmable electronic distributor.
Previously this job would have been done by a mechanical distributor/capacitor, with centrifugal weights and or a vacuum diaphragm advancing the spark on the power stroke.
A CDI unit promises to allow the motor engineers to time precicely when the spark plug will fire, at any point in the rev range, to provide the maximum power output under all predictable conditions. It also allows for efficient limiting of engine revs at the red line or in top gear.

DnB_racing
09-14-2010, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by stoopidbot
A Capacative Discharge Ignition unit holds the current from the generator, raises its frequency to thousands of volts and then fires it like a shot through the spark plug lead at precicely the right time to keep your motor running. A CDI unit incorperates a solid state logically programmable chip allowing unprecedented control over engine ignition timing throughout the engines entire rev range, as well as limiting the eventual speed of the motor under agreed conditions.
What could be thought of as a programmable electronic distributor.
Previously this job would have been done by a mechanical distributor/capacitor, with centrifugal weights and or a vacuum diaphragm advancing the spark on the power stroke.
A CDI unit promises to allow the motor engineers to time precicely when the spark plug will fire, at any point in the rev range, to provide the maximum power output under all predictable conditions. It also allows for efficient limiting of engine revs at the red line or in top gear. what your decsribing is a progamable cdi!not the cdi that stock on the trx

stoopidbot
09-14-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
what your decsribing is a progamable cdi!not the cdi that stock on the trx

My mistake....

desratt
09-14-2010, 10:58 AM
so are you saying my dyna is a computer but the stock isn't?

it says digital ignition on it. and not analog.. and I can hook it up to my lap top and change curves.. I usually just have shops e-mail me new curves..

not trying to argue just trying to learn

DnB_racing
09-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Im not that familiar with the components on the dyna, does it have a microprocessor?im thinking that it just has a programmable chip and it will take predetermined parameters, i will do a little research on it. i do know it uses a digital signal to be able to upload the parameters from a computer, but I dont think that it has a microprocessor. i will check!

DnB_racing
09-15-2010, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by desratt
so are you saying my dyna is a computer but the stock isn't?

it says digital ignition on it. and not analog.. and I can hook it up to my lap top and change curves.. I usually just have shops e-mail me new curves..

not trying to argue just trying to learn it doesnt have a prossessor! its a serial device meaning that it can be plugged in and changed but will not make any changes on its own

desratt
09-15-2010, 11:29 AM
thanks for learning me.. I know I love the little thing.

DnB_racing
09-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Im pretty good with the electrical but still learning myself and enjoy the challenge
im sure that there is many things you can teach me as well, and I look forward to more challenges!thanks