PDA

View Full Version : Pitster pro 125 Vs. Raptor 125

ewathen
08-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Woud like to see this shootout by someone before next spring of these two quads!. I m ready to get away from all things cvt and scooter based! the two youngest already switched to honda crf 50's and they are the bomb to just go kick them once and ride, hose them off when finished and repeat.

Oldest boy wants to stay with quads and these look like the two best options for playing around on the home track and racing locally.

anyone have opions on the two?

Eric

Ryko racing
08-31-2010, 09:52 AM
if the raptor 125 holds up as well as the 250 it will be great.

We had a 250 for a practice bike and ran it constant for 1.5 yrs

1 oil change and maybe 3 air filter changes and it was still perfect.

Ride1Rob
08-31-2010, 10:10 AM
The Pitster will be a cheaper bike to build in the long run as I'm sure parts for the Yami will be alot more expensive. Don't think you can go wrong with either bike though.

fomospede
08-31-2010, 11:25 AM
ive seen quite a few pitsters at the xc races ,they need alot of tuning out of the box to even compare to the drr, apex's .they are a trx90 knockoff . I am a honda guy to the bone and would go blue before racing a pitser my .02

hwf-racing
08-31-2010, 11:37 AM
We have a Yamaha Raptor 250 that is an awsome practice quad. However, we had to spend a lot of money just for to be a practice quad. I think the Pitster would be easier on the wallet because it comes already mx'ed were as the Yamaha you would have to buy arms, rims, tires, bars, shocks, nerfs, exhaust just to start. The Pitster you could dump all that money in the engine, better shocks. However, I do like the Yami more so than the Pitster.
IMO Derek. :)

T@AFP
08-31-2010, 12:47 PM
Depends on what your doing with it.
MX or XC.

We own a Raptor 250 and 2- Pitsters for MX. One is a 65 mod and they other is the 125cc. Both have Long travel, one with Fox and 1 w/ Elka.
The Raptor has Long travel with Elka. Concensus is....per my kids opinion. The Pitster handles better. Lighter and easier to throw around. Fits smaller and bigger kids better.
My take is it's easier to work on. The chassis is chromoly. needs some tweeking to get it right. But when it's done it handles great. The Pister comes with a good starting combination of wheels,tires,pipe,nerfs etc..
One big factor to me was when/if you have an issue you call Utah and you can get help right away.
Either is a good choice. Especially vs the bs
tweeking and maintenance on our CVT's.

T@AFP
08-31-2010, 12:49 PM

T@AFP
08-31-2010, 12:57 PM

T@AFP
08-31-2010, 01:01 PM
another angle

quadnana7
08-31-2010, 05:01 PM
Christian rode a stock Pitster Pro in the ATVA Nationals this year the bike finished every race with no DNS or DNFs. This is the only bike that we have ever had that has finished every race.
We have checked the frame that has not been gussted and there was not any cracks in the frame. For anybody that knows Christians they know he rides the bikes hard and fast he gives it all he can.
We are very pleased with the Pitster and look forward to racing it again at the Nationals next year. There will be a few changes to the bike next year.
In my opinion every bike you buy you are going to have to make changes to race it but the Pitster is easier to to make changes to.
The company is some of the nicest people to deal with . The bike is the sharpest bike on the market straight out of the box.

airmobile101
09-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by fomospede
ive seen quite a few pitsters at the xc races ,they need alot of tuning out of the box to even compare to the drr, apex's .they are a trx90 knockoff . I am a honda guy to the bone and would go blue before racing a pitser my .02
Yea..... We have a few in our series. Not a bad quad, but they for sure have their issues. I will give credit to Yamaha for stepping it up thou. For now, I'll just stick to the old Honda.lol

fomospede
09-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by T@AFP
another angle
that thing is bad a** i dont even want to know $ that is in that thing!

Ride1Rob
09-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Alot of tuning to compare with the Drr's/Apex's I disagree unless the Drr/Apex's are modded. If that's the case the 125 won't compete with them. The Pitster (like any other atv from the factory) is totally bottled up when the customer gets it. And it doesn't help that Pitster gears the Quad like they gear their Pitbikes. Drop in the correct gearing, replace that small 22mm carb with a 26mm and add a decent air filter and you'll see a dramatic increase in performance. Do some head work and that same motor will come off the line with the Drr's/Apex's. If it's against the modded (2Fast) Drr's/Apex's it won't be enough. But there are other things you can do to get you there as well.

lem dad
09-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Go with the yamaha nothing wrong with pister it is a great machine buy you will have better luck getting parts pister has not much of a dealer network the yamaha will be a great race quad we have had a few diff brands over the years parts has always been biggest down fall on most or they go out of bissness yamaha will be around a while I hope the is the end of cvt soon

T@AFP
09-01-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks, appreciate it. But really compared to my kids CVT it's pretty close to the same cost. As that bike sits w everything on it with out a engine they'll sell for around 10k.

If you think that one is bad a** ,wait till you see the other ones we're working on.... CRF150R's. These are gonna be ridiculous. I can't wait to ride these.
I'll post some pics later, when they're done.

that thing is bad a** i dont even want to know $ that is in that thing!

Ride1Rob
09-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by lem dad
Go with the yamaha nothing wrong with pister it is a great machine buy you will have better luck getting parts pister has not much of a dealer network the yamaha will be a great race quad we have had a few diff brands over the years parts has always been biggest down fall on most or they go out of bissness yamaha will be around a while I hope the is the end of cvt soon

You're not really familiar with Pitster it seems. No, the dealer may not be right around the corner or a couple miles away but Pitster has dealers all across the U.S. It's no different than getting parts for your cvt. One phone call and parts are on the way. As far as the Yami being a great race quad the Pitster will be just as good! We're running a Typhoon and it's one of the best running/handling mini's in Dade City. The Pitster is a better machine out of the box and in my opinion has more potential.

A deciding factor for anyone in determining on choosing between the Pitster and the Yami is how much $ you have to put into the bike. The Pitster motor is NOT going to be as durable as the Yami but is ALOT cheaper to build/repair. With that being said, we've been racing MX for 20 months and have had only 1 DNF and 1 DNS to motor issues. Not bad ;)

airmobile101
09-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Would I be wrong to say the Pro 125 is just a overpriced Xtreme Typhoon? Granted, the Pitster is better equipped than a Xtreme ,but wouldn't you just strip it down to the frame and build it better anyways???? Upgrade everything, etc... So pretty much with both bikes stripped down and build to the hilt, would the Xtreme come out ahead since the big price difference???? I'm not trying to start anything either. Just naive about both bikes. And the naive person would buy the Extreme or a Pitster.

greenmachine70
09-03-2010, 06:54 AM
Robs quad will outrun fully modded 2fast kits and a 118ccWRH motor. Difference is Jam is only 8 or 9 and gets intmidated by the 13-14yr olds out there, not to mention they have probably 6+yrs experience over Jam. At the last race he owned it for 3 laps but experience of the older riders finally got him. That typhoon was pulling the 2fast motors big time.
I would love to see Jordan run that quad for one moto, I bet he would be 50yards + at the checkers........
Biggest difference is several thousand dollars to build.......

T@AFP
09-03-2010, 07:16 AM
I really don't think you can compare the Pitster to the Xtreme. The geometry is way better on the Pitster. The frame engineering and chromoly steel tubing is better. The Pitster was designed to be raced. Not a "backyard" quad. Serious thought went in to the concept of this machine. But understand it is a Taiwan built machine. So it does have it's flaws. But those can easily be overcome.
So my opinion, based on all the testing and R&D, I would think the Pitster is a much better quad.

Snap! I sound like a frickin commercial for them.
I guess two too many trips to the coffee pot this morning.

Originally posted by airmobile101
Would I be wrong to say the Pro 125 is just a overpriced Xtreme Typhoon? Granted, the Pitster is better equipped than a Xtreme ,but wouldn't you just strip it down to the frame and build it better anyways???? Upgrade everything, etc... So pretty much with both bikes stripped down and build to the hilt, would the Xtreme come out ahead since the big price difference???? I'm not trying to start anything either. Just naive about both bikes. And the naive person would buy the Extreme or a Pitster.

Ride1Rob
09-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by airmobile101

A stock Typhoon would need to be stripped and rebuilt for it to be a serious MX bike whereas the Pitster can be run in stock trim and raced as Gary has done this season.

The Typhoon needs:
1.Stem replaced
2.Front arms
3.Shocks (front and rear)
4.Engine upgrade
5.Replace the weak axle bearings with stronger race bearings
6.And mod the stock swinger for the longer rear shock or go aftermarket

You'll have around 4g's in a nicely built Typhoon. I had the patience to find a company to build parts for the Typhoon and did ENDLESS R&D with Jam on how to dial the bike in starting with setup first and motor second. It all paid off and showed the Typhoons TRUE potential the last race at DC. Nice lowend grunt(which helped us to pull out of the corners) and awesome working suspension.

Ride1Rob
09-03-2010, 08:32 AM
I really don't think you can compare the Pitster to the Xtreme. The geometry is way better on the Pitster. The frame engineering and chromoly steel tubing is better. The Pitster was designed to be raced. Not a "backyard" quad. Serious thought went in to the concept of this machine. But understand it is a Taiwan built machine. So it does have it's flaws. But thoughs can easily be overcome.
So my opinion, based on all the testing and R&D, I would think the Pitster is a much better quad.

Snap! I sound like a frickin commercial for them.
I guess two too many trips to the coffee pot this morning.

I have to disagree with you on that Tom:ermm: . Kenny Vaughn designed the Typhoon to be a race bike. Xtreme cut corners on his original design which is why the bike had so many issues once it was released. The frame on the bike is one of the strongest you would have ever seen on a mini. The earlier years lacked a brace underneath the motor which caused them to break. The geometry on the bike is superb as the bike has a low center of gravity and rails the corners very well. Zero tilting no matter how hard he enters the corners. Even when we were at the stock length of 41.5 inches Jam had never had issues with tilting. Now at 46inches that's not even a thoght. Jam can actually whip the bike in the air on jumps. You're talking about a 9yr old that only weighs 70pds moving a 250+pd bike in the air. Is the Pitster a much better quad in stock trim? YES... A much better quad both bikes fully built? Not so sure

Ryko racing
09-03-2010, 08:47 AM
I thought that Kenny Vaughn did the design on the Typhoon.

We always wanted to see one run that was properly set up when we raced these minis but unfortunately no one has had one at a National. ( I have heard that if set up properly they fly)

I have seen a Pitster run and it ws okay, i think with a little more testing and R &D they will be good too.

Actually i was exploring being a dealer here in Michigan but our local rules dont favor 4 strokes in Production racing.

Thanks for the info...

lem dad
09-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Rob we have been around minis a long time are now making move to bikes with that said we raced typhoons and beat a lot of good minis that should have beat us the typhoon can be a good race quad we used to race lem caymans still would if you could get parts we had some very fast lems as you know Xtreme is out of biz motor parts are easy it will geat hard find other parts soon I am lucky Dylan has a machine that helps him out that would be biggest fear about pister with times hard how long will they be around I worked at a yamaha shop at one time rumor was the 125 was on 250 chassie if so there a lot of parts out there you will be limted on the pister the mini quad parts is a small market and most dads at local races do not spend much money biggest concern about these bikes are parts If honda would step up like yamaha did it would be over soon for the others

john willhoite
09-03-2010, 08:58 AM
i dont know much about this.

What 125 4 stroke atv motor can beat a 2fast motor?

I wouldn't think that would be possible.

Ride1Rob
09-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Ryko racing
I thought that Kenny Vaughn did the design on the Typhoon.

We always wanted to see one run that was properly set up when we raced these minis but unfortunately no one has had one at a National. ( I have heard that if set up properly they fly)

I have seen a Pitster run and it ws okay, i think with a little more testing and R &D they will be good too.

Actually i was exploring being a dealer here in Michigan but our local rules dont favor 4 strokes in Production racing.

Thanks for the info...

My error lol, Guy Cooper was Xtreme's Pit Bike guy. K Fab did design on the Typhoon. I've had several parents that attend Nationals compliment on our build and some of those think it will do well at Nationals. I'm not really familiar on the classes at Nationals and don't know where it would be placed so I won't comment on how I think our bike will do.

Rob we have been around minis a long time are now making move to bikes with that said we raced typhoons and beat a lot of good minis that should have beat us the typhoon can be a good race quad we used to race lem caymans still would if you could get parts we had some very fast lems as you know Xtreme is out of biz motor parts are easy it will geat hard find other parts soon I am lucky Dylan has a machine that helps him out that would be biggest fear about pister with times hard how long will they be around I worked at a yamaha shop at one time rumor was the 125 was on 250 chassie if so there a lot of parts out there you will be limted on the pister the mini quad parts is a small market and most dads at local races do not spend much money biggest concern about these bikes are parts If honda would step up like yamaha did it would be over soon for the others

I agree with you on the parts about the Typhoon but not the Pitster. You can buy parts for the Typhoon you just have to know what dealers sale parts. Xtreme sold out and went out of business but there are dealers that sale parts for the bike as it is still mass produced overseas and shipped to the U.S under FYM. The Pitster has it's dealers as well and they've been around for awhile with their Pitbikes. They're not going anywhere ;) . GForce is only one of many Pitster dealers.

Originally posted by john willhoite
i dont know much about this.

What 125 4 stroke atv motor can beat a 2fast motor?

I wouldn't think that would be possible.

My opinion a 125cc Thumper won't run with a 2Fast motor. Your built 125 may put out 14-15hp. HotQuads is saying 25hp on their 2Fast builds so the 125 would get left in the dust. Would have to be more like 150cc's and setup correctly.

T@AFP
09-03-2010, 11:05 AM
That's ok my friend, You aren't the first person to disagree / me.
The "tilting" you mentioned. I assume you're refering to diving/ rolling in the corners? That has to do with proper shock/A arm set up which maybe good on your quad.
But, correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't that quad originally a bike that they bolted a quad front end on? That's the part that made me nervous. After thoughts from a manufacture dissapoint me. For example, when DRR had the single A arm model. Then they installed a hoop on the frame to convert it to a dual A arm model. That was a nightmare. The geometry was...not so good.

That is an awesome pic of Jam!

Originally posted by Ride1Rob
I have to disagree with you on that Tom:ermm: . Guy Cooper designed the Typhoon to be a race bike. Xtreme cut corners on his original design which is why the bike had so many issues once it was released. The frame on the bike is one of the strongest you would have ever seen on a mini. The earlier years lacked a brace underneath the motor which caused them to break. The geometry on the bike is superb as the bike has a low center of gravity and rails the corners very well. Zero tilting no matter how hard he enters the corners. Even when we were at the stock length of 41.5 inches Jam had never had issues with tilting. Now at 46inches that's not even a thoght. Jam can actually whip the bike in the air on jumps. You're talking about a 9yr old that only weighs 70pds moving a 250+pd bike in the air. Is the Pitster a much better quad in stock trim? YES... A much better quad both bikes fully built? Not so sure

ccdhowell
09-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Back to the Raptor 125, I just ordered one for my 10yo XC racer, Allison. She's been on a modded Suzuki 90 but is getting totally outclassed by the Apex's and DRR's. I'm really hoping that I can get the chassis working well enough for her to be competitive on the Raptor.

I had this same debate with myself, Pitster or Raptor, chose the Raptor in the end because of the electric start. XC racing is a dead engine start and I'm hoping it will give her the edge over the kick-start quads. She isn't used to a quad with a clutch and gears, but hopefully her learning curve will be pretty steep and she can get up to speed quickly.

Anybody know if the Raptor 125 engine is an existing Yamaha engine off a bike? I'd like to put a pipe on it pretty quick.

Ride1Rob
09-03-2010, 11:58 AM
That's ok my friend, You aren't the first person to disagree / me.
The "tilting" you mentioned. I assume you're refering to diving/ rolling in the corners? That has to do with proper shock/A arm set up which maybe good on your quad.
But, correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't that quad originally a bike that they bolted a quad front end on? That's the part that made me nervous. After thoughts from a manufacture dissapoint me. For example, when DRR had the single A arm model. Then they installed a hoop on the frame to convert it to a dual A arm model. That was a nightmare. The geometry was...not so good.

That is an awesome pic of Jam!

Yes, the diving/rolling is what I meant ;) . The Typhoon does have somewhat of a bike design to it. There's a center bar underneath the tank that's the backbone of the frames strength. A Drr/Apex dealer here did our gussett kit and he told me with the design he felt it was one of the best setups he had seen on a mini. The bike doesn't do much flexing so I'm not sure if it's good or bad. But compared to the Drr's/Apex's with more experienced riders Jam jumps just as far and charges through the whoops just as good (if not harder) than they do. He literally jumps/cases into doubles if he can't clear them and we've never had a problem with anything snapping (yet) lol. Thanx for the compliment btw!

If I did have to choose between all three bikes with the info I had right now it would be a tough decision. Deal with the issues of the Typhoon, The higher price of the Pitster, or the uncertainty of the Raptor. If I had to choose I'd go with the Pitster because of my knowledge of the motor and the bikes handling in stock form.

Our build
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww35/ride1rob/side.jpg

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww35/ride1rob/front1.jpg

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww35/ride1rob/bike1.jpg

Full Throttle00
09-03-2010, 12:56 PM
The Pitster looks to be a clear winner out of the box even if the Rappy is modded as it's still a tank. But great now there is a new class to run after the CVT's:devil:

miniquaddad90
09-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by ccdhowell
Back to the Raptor 125, I just ordered one for my 10yo XC racer, Allison. She's been on a modded Suzuki 90 but is getting totally outclassed by the Apex's and DRR's. I'm really hoping that I can get the chassis working well enough for her to be competitive on the Raptor.

I had this same debate with myself, Pitster or Raptor, chose the Raptor in the end because of the electric start. XC racing is a dead engine start and I'm hoping it will give her the edge over the kick-start quads. She isn't used to a quad with a clutch and gears, but hopefully her learning curve will be pretty steep and she can get up to speed quickly.

Anybody know if the Raptor 125 engine is an existing Yamaha engine off a bike? I'd like to put a pipe on it pretty quick.

It would appear to be based off of the TTR stuff but not sure. We are waiting for our dealer to get the 1st one in. Its due next week and we have 1st crack at buying it..... cant wait to see how it compairs to our Honda :macho

ccdhowell
09-03-2010, 03:49 PM
It being a Raptor 250 chassis sold me. I believe I can get the chassis working very well and the engine parts will come along before too long. That's my hope anyway.

quadnana7
09-05-2010, 11:15 AM
After racing the pitster with stock suspension all year the chassis has no signs of stress or cracks. The ATV4Play suspension is going on now. Tom did a great job on it. Already know how plush this set up is for the Pitster. We ran stock motor with only bolt on Pitster head so motor needed more mods but did go into the 1st turn at Lorettas in 8th vs. heavily modded Cobras, SCR Hondas & 2 Fast motors. The good news is SCR Modded Honda did take the holeshot and lead for a lap. Same Takegawa parts available for Pitster. Since Pitster comes with chromolly frame that is already proven on MX track this year and already winning GNCC for a couple years with no frame issues, don't know why anyone would want to go to steel with all the Honda's and Cobra's frame problems. I can't see the Yamaha being any different. Just voicing my opinion based on 1 year of racing on the MX track. So, why try a unproven machine when Pitster, ATV4Play,and SCR combo is already proven.

Ride1Rob
09-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I completely agree with you on that Gary! I've heard those SCR built 125's haul the mail so I stand corrected on a 125cc running with the 2Fasts. I really do like the Yami but there's just uncertainty I have about how the motor will perform. It may take a good year or two for good upgrades to be available to run with an already proven machine like the Pitster. I really like Tom's idea on his builds with the Pitster. Those are gonna be some serious contenders next year!!!

trompen542
09-07-2010, 02:32 PM
The motor is supposed to be the same as the ttr 125, Lyle from chp is already working on a pipe for the raptor, and has a number of parts in the works for the motor. As we all know all of the motor builders listed on here use Lyle's parts in one form or another. The big question is, with a manual clutch which class, will it be in, the 90 mod, or will there be a rule change to allow it in the 90 production class.
Tom @ KIDS ON QUADS

Ryko racing
09-07-2010, 02:39 PM
90 production allows hand clutches,

90 auto must idle when in gear

this raptor should be 90 prod legal if Yamaha gets it homologated.

T@AFP
09-07-2010, 02:39 PM
A big concern I have on the Raptor125/250 is the chassis. I just heard of a girl at her first race on a 250. Hit a fence and bend the frame so bad it has to be replaced already. $550.0+ for that one.
I know Lonestar makes a aftermarket one but big$$ than it's not production.

I guess when more of them are released we can make better decisions.

Ride1Rob
09-07-2010, 07:28 PM
If it's the TTR motor they're going with one of the biggest concerns to me would be engine performance. From the info I've read the TTR stock is 6-7hp. With a built engine they're saying 10-12hp. My .02, I don't think it will be enough :ermm: . Especially when it's lugging almost 100 more pounds around than the Pitster.

My second concern is price to upgrade the TTR. For what you would spend for the TTR's on a 150 big bore kit you could add another $100 and purchase a whole new 150 motor for the Pitster as a backup. Overall, the prices for the Yami are going to be almost 3x's or more than that of the Pitster. The performance 26mm carb recommended for the TTR is $270.00 while the performance 26mm carb recommended for the Pitster is only $110.00.

I would post up a couple of sites between the two to show the differences but I don't want to get called out for advertising :rolleyes:

lem dad
09-07-2010, 09:27 PM
unless you are racin mod class 125cc is production rules ama and most outlaw 150cc would be cheatin also why would put a 26 carb on it comes with a 29 the ama needs to make a 4 stroke class for minis I still belive the yamaha will be around when the rest are gone If we were stayin in minis we would have one

Ride1Rob
09-08-2010, 05:59 AM
I was only speaking in terms of "parts for parts" and the prices for those parts. I have a YFZ450 and it's rediculous for what I have to pay for 5 valves. My same reference was for the bigbore as well. Someone just may decide to run in Supermini and from what I'm told the limit is 150cc. So here again, the prices aren't even close.

Ryko racing
09-08-2010, 08:17 AM
I actually found the Japanese parts to be really fair priced.

I think the cost for the valves is due to them being titanium.

We found the oem parts to be 30 40 percent cheaper than our Cobra stuff.

Good luck

Ride1Rob
09-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Ryko racing
I actually found the Japanese parts to be really fair priced.

I think the cost for the valves is due to them being titanium.

We found the oem parts to be 30 40 percent cheaper than our Cobra stuff.

Good luck

Yeah, you're right about the Ti Valves. They do pretty much double the cost. Check out these prices between the 2 engines and you'll see what I'm talking about.;)

TTR125 engine
http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/ttr125.html

Pitster parts
http://stores.wholesale-cycle.com/-strse-Engine-Parts/Categories.bok

Pitster complete motors
http://shop.pitsterpro.com/engine/mini-pit-bike.aspx

rf928
09-27-2010, 02:03 PM
There is a guy ath the track with a stock pitster, and he beat a cobra 70!!!!

400grl
10-18-2010, 10:51 AM
The frame on the Raptor 125 is plenty strong for regular use - if you run it into a wall or a rock/tree/fence, you will probably damage just about any type of frame.

I had the opportunity to attend the 125 press intro, which consisted of about 25 or so mature, adult men (and a few of us ladies) romping the pi$$ out of those little 125's for two days on a MX track. And when I say two days, I mean....pretty much 6 or so solid hours each day of constant riding.

I was curious to see how these would hold up.....and I have been to press intros before where, if you are the second wave, there are already machines sitting on the sideline and out of commission by the time the second wave gets there.

Not true here......those little 125's not only handle awesome on the track (thanks to the 250 chassis), but they ARE tough. Yamaha did a great job with this little quad.....

And yes, the motor is based off of the tt125.....which is a proven powerplant.

Good luck to you 125 racers - I think you will be very happy with your choice!!

Ride1Rob
10-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Nice! I'm hoping we'll have one in our class next season.

T@AFP
10-18-2010, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 400grl
[B]The frame on the Raptor 125 is plenty strong for regular use - if you run it into a wall or a rock/tree/fence, you will probably damage just about any type of frame.

What's "regular use"?
MX, GNCC, WORCs racing or tail riding or back yard riding?

400grl
10-18-2010, 12:33 PM
MX, GNCC, WORCS, and anything in between.....it's a 125cc quad -I would imagine the weight of a rider in this class would be even less than what the chassis was designed to handle (seeings as it's the 250 chassis). I wouldn't expect many issues with the frame unless you wreck it or hit something - and like I said, if that's the case, then yeah - you might have some damage to fix, just like with any quad, including my 450.

Full Throttle00
10-18-2010, 05:55 PM
Seen a few that have already wadded their 250 Rappy's up with broken, cracked, frames, A-arms, and looking at the 250 & 125 side by side look and weigh about the same. If my memory recollects correctly, I was informed by a few that nearly 15-20 gussets were added to a number of race ready Raptor 250's to keep from breaking. Many of these with aftermarket suspension, under "normal use" rider weight around 100#'s +/-.
The Rappy's are built like tanks and weigh about as much.
IMO, unless the rider weighs around 150+#'s, AND has the strength to muscle the quad where they want it I wouldn't see putting anyone less than that on one.

Pitster weighs over 125#'s less, power is similar, costs less, aftermarket add-on's come stock, Motor/Suspension/ Aftermarket Upgrades are being made but not necessary. It's simple math.

Ride1Rob
10-19-2010, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Full Throttle00
Seen a few that have already wadded their 250 Rappy's up with broken, cracked, frames, A-arms, and looking at the 250 & 125 side by side look and weigh about the same. If my memory recollects correctly, I was informed by a few that nearly 15-20 gussets were added to a number of race ready Raptor 250's to keep from breaking. Many of these with aftermarket suspension, under "normal use" rider weight around 100#'s +/-.
The Rappy's are built like tanks and weigh about as much.
IMO, unless the rider weighs around 150+#'s, AND has the strength to muscle the quad where they want it I wouldn't see putting anyone less than that on one.

Pitster weighs over 125#'s less, power is similar, costs less, aftermarket add-on's come stock, Motor/Suspension/ Aftermarket Upgrades are being made but not necessary. It's simple math.

I agree 110%. Have a buddy who's son races an Apex and often practices MX on his Raptor 250. He's only 80pds and has cracked their frame on the Rappy as well :ermm: . He's still learning after less than a year of racing also. But I have heard about the gussets and if added the frame issues are pretty much taken care of. You'd think Yamaha would correct that after a couple years now. I still applaud them for doing what they have and hope that others will follow their lead on developing a Mini that can be raced.

As for the Pitster and the simple math.... YES IT IS BROTHA!!! But there are still those that will doubt it because it's a Taiwanese bike.

Full Throttle00
10-19-2010, 10:00 AM
But there are still those that will doubt it because it's a Taiwanese bike. [/B][/QUOTE]

Not to mention all the others are as well. :rolleyes:

What's even more interesting that the CRaptor & Pitster motors are made side by side in same building :chinese:

lem dad
10-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I am not sure I understand all this for years all we heard was wish the big 4 would step up and yamaha has done it but some still want to say go with china quads the pister is a great quad but and motor parts are cheap so is some of the qualty but it is still a copy motor the yamaha is its own motor and they have a dealer network and shops will service it the other brands are hit and miss just think about how many brands have went out of biz and good luck finding parts for some of them I have Xtreme 150 in my shop that I cannot locate a stator for how many of you would buy a knock off 450 or rhino ?
I ve been there with the parts thing to many times

Ride1Rob
10-20-2010, 11:22 AM
I am not sure I understand all this for years all we heard was wish the big 4 would step up and yamaha has done it but some still want to say go with china quads the pister is a great quad but and motor parts are cheap so is some of the qualty but it is still a copy motor the yamaha is its own motor and they have a dealer network and shops will service it the other brands are hit and miss just think about how many brands have went out of biz and good luck finding parts for some of them I have Xtreme 150 in my shop that I cannot locate a stator for how many of you would buy a knock off 450 or rhino ?
I ve been there with the parts thing to many times

If you have an Xtreme in your garage that you can't find a stator for you can't possibly be looking too hard. When the China quad is just as good (if not better) than the name brand machine that's more than enough for me to purchase the China bike. Just because it says Yamaha on it doesn't make it better. Christian Horne has jumped the hell out of his Pitster in completelyl stock trim all last season and didn't have the 1st frame issue. Don't sound to me like the quality on the bike is cheap at all. I haven't heard of the 1st issue with the Pitster frame. I've heard more than enough about the Rappy's frame as well as the battery falling through it's carrier. So explain which one is designed with cheap in mind? From what I hear, Yamaha used a smaller tubing and made short cuts on the frame to save costs. Just what I heard...

lem dad
10-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Rod I don,t know how long your son has raced but you got a lot to learn an as far as a stator I deal with most china parts and xtreme made there system a little diff onlt time will tell

Ride1Rob
10-20-2010, 12:55 PM
It's Rob ;) lol. This is Jams 2nd year of racing. But what does that have to do with the bikes? You don't have to be around racing your whole life to understand one bike vs the other do you? Our Typhoon (which is still dubbed China Junk) competes with whatever you throw at it. That's not because it was one of the best designed Mini's on the market. Due to the availability of better products over the last 2-3 years I've built it to compete with the best on the market. Was it a headache...? YES! But just like the Jap bikes these guys are doing R&D on race parts as well as parts to cure the problems in the old style China motors. Who would have thought Yoshi, Pro Circuit, HMF, Two Brothers, and the list goes on would have exhaust systems for these China motors. I'm not saying there aren't problematic China bikes out there. What I am saying the Pitster IS NOT one of them. Spend your money on the Rappy and when some kid on a Pitster is neck and neck with your son/daughter off the gate (If not running away from him/her)remember this post bud ;) . You'll have ALOT more money dumped into your Rappy. That's not opinion that's fact!

As far as your Xtreme and the Stator, if it's a Typhoon there are several options on a replacement stator. The only thing you'll have to do is rewire. Someone that deals in Pitbike parts would have known that. Replace, rewire, ride...:cool:

greenmachine70
10-21-2010, 12:23 PM
lemdad, Arent the new LEM's the old Xtremes????:confused:

I will stand behind Rob here, he has no issues getting parts and gets them fast. His "china junk" will outrun 2fast quads that cost in upwards of $10k. I bet some of these have more money in their overall suspension setup than he has in the whole quad including the elkas, motor work, custom arms and swinger!
If my son was gonna run a mini for another year I would buy the pitster and Rob would build it and we would own the class enuff said!
when you see his "china Junk" outrunning blasters & raptor 250s you will believe too.

Ride1Rob
10-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by greenmachine70
lemdad, Arent the new LEM's the old Xtremes????:confused:

I will stand behind Rob here, he has no issues getting parts and gets them fast. His "china junk" will outrun 2fast quads that cost in upwards of $10k. I bet some of these have more money in their overall suspension setup than he has in the whole quad including the elkas, motor work, custom arms and swinger!
If my son was gonna run a mini for another year I would buy the pitster and Rob would build it and we would own the class enuff said!
when you see his "china Junk" outrunning blasters & raptor 250s you will believe too.

Well, we're not running away from the 2Fast bikes. In terms of performance I think we're pretty equal. As for outrunning Blasters and Raptors that's not gonna happen lol. Due to the weight of Jams bike we come off of the gate with them but that's about where it ends. Like I said, ANY of those bikes will win. It's simply a matter of where you want to spend your money and how much of it you want to spend.