PDA

View Full Version : K&N air filter problems

switch333
08-31-2010, 08:22 AM
hey guys, well i have a 2007 outlaw 500 (fuji motor) and i picked up the k&n kit for it because everybody was saying that it was a good upgrade.. so when i put it on the bike really bogs out when i give it fuel, i cant even push any farther than 1/4 throttle without it spittin and loosin power.. what could be the problem? any help would be appreciated.

thanks

OutlawBill
08-31-2010, 01:41 PM
go up on main jet

switch333
09-01-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
go up on main jet yeah thats what i was thinkin too, thanks man one more question though, is it a big job to change the jet or you think im better off just gettin it done in the shop ? thanks again

switch333
09-01-2010, 10:06 AM
shoot, also what size jet would you recommend i use, its a Mikuni 42mm BSR carb and i'm planning on getting a hmf slip on as well.
thanks

redneck2725
09-01-2010, 08:51 PM
170 main jet would be best for that, make sure to drill out the air mixture screw on the bottom of the carb also. Turn it clockwise until it's tight, and then 3 turns out. I jetted my Pred in about an hour last night. Pretty quick and easy, also the screws on the float bowl of your carb WILL strip out. Best to use an impact driver, a pair of small vise grips, or even dremel the head to fit a flat screwdriver, then replace the screws with allen head bolts. Best $2.10 i ever spent

Outlaw6;=-
09-02-2010, 12:22 AM
when i changed to k&n and hmf slip-on I jumped my main jet to 167.5 and mixture screw to 2 3/4 and my plug burned golden brown i am at 600-1000ft. Since i did the motor work i am now at 170 main.

switch333
09-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by redneck2725
170 main jet would be best for that, make sure to drill out the air mixture screw on the bottom of the carb also. Turn it clockwise until it's tight, and then 3 turns out. I jetted my Pred in about an hour last night. Pretty quick and easy, also the screws on the float bowl of your carb WILL strip out. Best to use an impact driver, a pair of small vise grips, or even dremel the head to fit a flat screwdriver, then replace the screws with allen head bolts. Best $2.10 i ever spent where abouts is the air/fuel mix screw? and what do you mean by drill it out? thanks

redneck2725
09-03-2010, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by switch333
where abouts is the air/fuel mix screw? and what do you mean by drill it out? thanks

There is a small brass cap that's covering the screw it is on the bottom side of the carb. You have to take a small drill and very, very carefully drill approx 1/4-1/2" Then find a screw approx a lil larger, and screw it in most of the way. Use some pliers and yank the screw and cap out. Then you will have access to the A/F screw. Most jet kits include pics of the exact location and some even give you the correct sized drill bit.