PDA

View Full Version : 2010 DRR 50cc porting question

asadad00
08-30-2010, 10:07 PM
I have a question for the DRR 2010 50cc owners, I have a 2010 DRR 50 with the new pipe , does porting make a big gain? I know the 2011 has a alum cylinder but I do not want to buy another quad so will a ported 2010 be competitive ? We raced against a ported quad this summer and it was no faster than our stock so I do not want to waste money .

Coley'sdad#8
08-31-2010, 05:09 AM
Yes definately porting will make a noticable power difference but like many of the 50 guy's here say over and over make sure it is allowed in your class.
Now the BIGGEST part, Make sure you do good research on WHO you decide to do your porting and make sure they they have good results on your 50 size machines. If your cylinder is ported incorrectly you WILL end up with nothing more than an expensive paperweight cylinder.

redonkulousruntsracing
08-31-2010, 10:28 AM
I own 3 of them there expensive paperweights, be careful, some of the "big" names have disappointed some people.

fomospede
08-31-2010, 11:53 AM
as a poor guy i did mine myself ,matched and just cleaned flaws and knife edged on intake side and polished the exhaust it was an obvious improvment!cost nada! i even went back and worked on the stock iron cylinder ,and on tight tracks it is our choice as the bottom end is great

bulldogfallon
08-31-2010, 12:27 PM
AMENDED POST 09/07/10:

Reach out to the well known shops and talk to them.

See which one fits your needs and comfort level and give them a shot.

I would recomend using someone familiar with a 50cc machine as they are quite finicky when ported.

Your CVT set up needs to be right or it will be all for nothing

Good luck

hotquads1
08-31-2010, 12:40 PM
porting can make a substantial increase in power , but porting 50's is very critical and a loss of power can occur if not done correctly. As others have said a poorly ported cylinder is just a useless paperweight , with that being said , I do believe a well
ported 2010 50 can run with 2011 aluminum cylinder. pm some of the 50 stock guys and get feedback good and bad , then choose wisely. Gary is right about clutching , its more important than ever on a ported cylinder.

tntauto1127
08-31-2010, 07:42 PM
You have to be careful with porting the 2010. They are alot different than 2009 and earlier. They are real finicky. We had issues at the first couple Nationals and then got the issue worked out. Hetrick Racing did ours. Like hotquads1 said talk to some of the other 50 national guys. After we got ours dialed in it was fast.
www.hetrickracing.com

asadad00
08-31-2010, 08:50 PM
I am mechanical but not going to try to port it myself , rather pay someone that knows what they are doing. Sounds like there are alot of paperweights out there , I would like to avoid that problem , please tell me where not to send it, send me a pm , i dont want to start a public bashing just want to know where to get my moneys worth. thanks for the replies.

machwon
08-31-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
A guy who can port Banshees and 250rs doesn't translate into a good 50cc port job.

Gary, I could agree up until this point. I do a good port job with all those mentioned above. Everyone has their favorite brand or shop. If you haven't chosen one yet, do your homework, ask lots of questions, and find the best fit for you.

bulldogfallon
08-31-2010, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by machwon
Gary, I could agree up until this point. I do a good port job with all those mentioned above. Everyone has their favorite brand or shop. If you haven't chosen one yet, do your homework, ask lots of questions, and find the best fit for you.

It was a word of caution...that being skilled with those engines doesn't mean they are equally skilled at a 50cc cylinder...I didn't mean that was always the case...

I agree with your advice...make some calls and see what feels best

EthansDad
09-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Porting makes a huge difference. over porting for max rpms/hp is the wrong direction. you need balance between power, ridability and reliability.

from what I've seen this year hitting a full season of the 50 stk class at the ATVA nationals, hot quads had the best porting with hetrick being close behind hot-quads. At mill creek (round 1) we got the hole shot by about 50 ft+ which is sick on a stock 50. we won most races by over a 20 second margin over second. I know some other teams got very aggressive on porting to get holeshots and max power for 1 or two races, but to be a national champion you need reliability. I can tell you as a fact, we still have our original cylinder on our stock 50. same as round 1/mill creek. we ringed it a couple of times, but cylinder is the same and in great shape, no break downs all year. Claiming to be the fastest by winning one race is kind of mis-leading. anyone can build a bike to run as fast as it can for 8 laps (then break down). to last all season and stay on top is another thing.

-EA

mushinracing
09-07-2010, 01:51 PM
i think you got your facts a liltte wrong. we pulled more hole shots than any other rider in the 50 ltd class. thats about all my son could do for his size. ethan is a great rider and would catch ashton and go on to win races. but it wasnt because of his motor its because he was a better rider than the rest of the feild but by no means was his quad the fastest. race are won by the rider holeshots are won by the mechs. and break downds? dont even try that, we broke down this year because of 1 jetting issue and a carb falling off.
g-force by far has the best set-up this year in my oppinon.

EthansDad
09-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Oh boy, everyone is getting heated! Aston did get a ton of hs, likely the most. I could have set my clutch up like that too, but at 70lbs, Ethan would have faded the spring lap 4.

I'm not saying our motor was the fastest, but I am saying it was very strong, and very reliable. A good combo. We are on the same cylinder as rnd 1 because I did not have to get crazy lean to make it run right.

I'm not going to comment anymore on this thead, it won't help anyone to get into a pissing match. The big names are all listed here, call them and make up your own mind.

mushinracing
09-07-2010, 03:37 PM
so now you know my clucth set-up?huh. dont make excuses for your set-up and give the credit to your boy he made that quad win even though he didnt pull but a couple hole shots this year he still had the heart to come from behind and win . thats a true champion

aimo007
09-07-2010, 04:05 PM
If your in the mid west you could send it to RNB Racing I know he does great work Both his riders won north challenge 50 ltd and 50 prod , Hetrick would be another great one couldnt speak for anyone else. RNB is machwon on this site and G force quads have always done good wish i was still in 50 classes maybe in 3 years . I know alot of other great builders out there just my 2 cents

DAVYS DAD
09-07-2010, 05:33 PM
RB gets my vote:D my 70# rider pulled some hole shots in the 50 limited and got a few wins.Not bad for a first year national racer.RB is one HELLUVA guy and a SUPER engine builder,with some of the fastest 50's arround:macho Everyone on here builds good motors but I say for PRICE,POWER,AND RELIABILITY,RB RACING is an EXELLENT choice.

GOOD LUCK
DW

quadscrib
09-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Ive gotta make a comment about porting. My boy races a ported stock 70cyl and stock 90 pipe in the district 14 70 prod class and theres several here on that can attest that the ONLY problem he has with the other racers is him not holding the throttle down as much as them and his skill level.
Our 70 is tons faster than a stock one and can only be associated with the porting as the rest (besides carb) is STOCK! Oh I have changed clutch rollers.
Another comment I have to add is how fast Ive seen some ported 50s go. DAVYS DAD's 50's RIP! and the loaner 50 my daughter raced early this season was SCARY fast (no coincidence same engine builder) so theres ALOT to be said about porting.
And as many have stated above porting can wreck a motor as well.
Like someone else also stated it only makes sense that cleaning up ports and imperfections have to make an improvement but much more than smoothing flash and a little booger here and there I keep it in the hands of someone who knows what hes doing.

asadad00
09-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Thanks for all of the comments and pm's they have been very helpful , I am going to take the plunge and get it ported. the forum has been a great resource for us newbies but Mushinracing .. I am not interested in your attempt to bash others and do not want to buy whatever your selling, or whoever your representing , I hope you program is more professional than your presence here on the forum, your agenda is not amusing.

mushinracing
09-09-2010, 07:27 AM
just setting the story straight. didnt mean to use your thread to do it. theres no agenda just wont let someone sugar coat stuff thats not true.