PDA

View Full Version : what is the fastest 70cc combination?

asadad00
08-30-2010, 09:45 PM
I have a drr 50 that will be converted to a 70 this winter , I want everything new and the latest and greatest in parts( long travel suspension is done) , tell me what you like on your dream 70 . What is winning at the nationals ? I would like to buy the best and be done. I would like it to reliable also. I am a fair mechanic, can I do this build or should I pay a pro ? I will need
cylinder kit
crank kit
ignition
exhaust
carb
intake
clutching
thanks for the input.

Logan #34's Dad
08-31-2010, 05:02 AM
I can tell you that the two fastest quads at the Nationals this year were different engine combos.
Bassani runs a Polini cylinder built/tuned by Hetrick
Wotring ran a few different cylinder and beat all of us to turn one and he is a bigger boy.
With that being said, The right pipe/cylinder combo is very important.
I believe Wotring ran the new HotQuads pipe.
Bassani ran a pipe that I believe the Hetrick 70 pipe was designed from. (I could be wrong)
My engine combo is very good also and there were a few of them that really ran well and seemed to be bullet proof.
Mine: Malossi Team Cylinder, Hebo long rod crank, Hetrick 70 pipe, Stage6 pvl, 28mm pwk carb, Vforce reeds.
Malossi overrange cvt is the easiest and the least likely to fail from worn belts. It is the easiest on belts.
As far as the "pros", be careful, one is outrageous in what he charges (PM me and I'll give you who).

So, their are many different ways to go AND you'll get alot of different answers on this one. All I know is that no-one could match the turn one speed of Bassani or Wotring this year. Check the results - no-one else beat them for an overall.
PM me and I'll tell you how it is and where to go.

asadad00
08-31-2010, 08:38 PM
good info , thank you , I went and looked at the results in the atva championship and like you said Wotring owned the class with 6 wins and Bassani with 5 , they both must have been very reliable . when choosing a cylinder kit is there a clear choice or all of the top brands equal ? Or is the pipe more important than the cylinder?

bignasty
08-31-2010, 09:41 PM
pm me after the seasons over.....got some pointers for you....;)

asadad00
08-31-2010, 09:46 PM
when is the season over ? i need pointers soon , i will pm you .

edwardsp&b
09-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Rocky pretty much covered it in what he said. I will add this though, most of that build goes hand in hand. In other words you need to do it all at once, and not try to do upgrades one at a time on the top and bottom of motor, pipe, carb, etc....

And you can never go wrong with calling and talking to one of the "pro" builders before you spend your hard earned money. Ive seen other people go other routes, and i am very glad that i called Marc @ Hotquads to begin with. When dealing with these mini's it's good to know I can call him anytime and he will help me through my problems. That luxury is worth the money I spent with him all day every day.
Bryan

asadad00
09-02-2010, 08:23 PM
your right edwardsp&b, I think it will be worth while to have an experienced builder do the work and use a proven combination, i want a turn key rocket, bolt it in and run. I have read good things about the R/T 70 kit , what ya think ?

jerkyboy
09-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Ive seen all three listed run some even buy the same kid and
they are all very close. What makes or brakes these motors is the clutch setup. If the clutching is off you could end up running slower then the setup your running now. You also have to consider your rider, all the topends your taling about turn some good rpm's if your rider isnt going to keep that thing pinned
your never going to see the full potetial of the motor.

mushinracing
09-05-2010, 08:23 AM
it aint the motor its the dads tuning those two are the best in the biz

zach R 7x
09-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by mushinracing

have to agree with Scott on this one, these guys are way ahead of everybody else.

jerkyboy
09-06-2010, 11:51 AM

That was the point I was trying to make. Its not all about which cylinder is better.

asadad00
01-06-2011, 09:46 PM
update; decided on the r/t 70 kit , its outrageous fast ! I can't imagine any 70cc being this fast , I am not the best clutching guru yet but this new engine ate up a couple of big bore 86cc quads . I am sure the Malossi is good but I will testify to anyone wanting a 70 build , you will be happy with the RT.

mushinracing
01-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Who built it.

Logan #34's Dad
01-07-2011, 03:29 AM
I ran the r/t most of last year at the Nationals with the Hetrick 70 pipe. We got smoked to turn one every race by Bassani's Polini and all of Wotring's engines. I'm no slouch on clutching either. They must be a little better though - LOL. With that being said, its my understanding that the HotQuads pipe is the difference maker. I know for a fact that once I mated my Malossi Cross cylinder to Tommy Alley's cases and matched up those cases to the transfer ports of the untouched cylinder and the Hetrick 70 pipe after the season was over and ran a charity race at Mapleshade, it was way faster than the r/t set up. Anyone that was there will tell ya, that thing was fast!
I've heard the numbers the r/t and Hot Quads pipe are getting on the dyno though. If they are true, everyone should have this combo and the 70 class will be an IROC series.
The next issue though will be - keeping the engines, clutches, gears, sprockets, ect together long enough to finish the races. As power goes up - parts fail. JMO

jake55
01-07-2011, 04:40 AM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad Anyone that was there will tell ya, that thing was fast!

yea, the darn thing took the win in moto 2, OF THE 90CC CLASS!!:mad: :mad: :grr: :grr: :devil:

Logan #34's Dad
01-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by jake55
[QUOTE][i]
yea, the darn thing took the win in moto 2, OF THE 90CC CLASS!!:mad: :mad: :grr: :grr: :devil:

And this set up was only 1/2 a quad behind at turn one after a 300 foot holeshot to the fastest 2fast I've EVER seen........ Jake55's Hetrick built 2fast!

redonkulousruntsracing
01-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Wayne Haggerty has the 70 set up. Just watch the video from the flat track race in Missouri. That thing was screaming..... another good guy to give a call.

asadad00
01-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Who built it.
Hot Quads, highly recommend.

bignasty
01-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I should put my two cents in but wont....not until later:D :D :D

hotquads1
01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Rocky is being honest, that Malossi 70 set-up is just as fast as he claims, but Rocky if you rode one of our R/T 70 kits you would agree that is even more powerful than the Malossi, more HP and more Torque, all at a lower rpm. It will be interesting to see what wins this year at the nationals, but my money is on the R/T. I am guessing the most of the contenders will have an R/T at the first race , and those that don't will have one by the second race. I will step out on a limb and say that WORCS 70 class will be won by an R/T pilot as well.
I know bignasty is one of the few people who own both the Malossi and the R/T , maybe he will share his insight , OK Dale ?

raidernut
01-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by hotquads1
Rocky is being honest, that Malossi 70 set-up is just as fast as he claims, but Rocky if you rode one of our R/T 70 kits you would agree that is even more powerful than the Malossi, more HP and more Torque, all at a lower rpm. It will be interesting to see what wins this year at the nationals, but my money is on the R/T. I am guessing the most of the contenders will have an R/T at the first race , and those that don't will have one by the second race. I will step out on a limb and say that WORCS 70 class will be won by an R/T pilot as well.
I know bignasty is one of the few people who own both the Malossi and the R/T , maybe he will share his insight , OK Dale ?

Dale doesnt like sharing:mad:

bignasty
01-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by raidernut
Dale doesnt like sharing:mad:

Not my wine maybe?!!!:) :D :D :D :)

My opinion is I like both engines but it depends what track were on. I will tell though they both run as good as a 2-fast.

Logan #34's Dad
01-11-2011, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by bignasty
Not my wine maybe?!!!:) :D :D :D :)

My opinion is I like both engines but it depends what track were on. I will tell though they both run as good as a 2-fast.

Which leads to the question: Is the AMA-ATVA going back to the 71cc - 90cc rule for the 90 class? :devil:

mushinracing
01-11-2011, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
Which leads to the question: Is the AMA-ATVA going back to the 71cc - 90cc rule for the 90 class? :devil:
No they are not smity said that was bull crap . technically it wasn't even legal by the AMA rule book page 136 cat b paragraph 2.All classes to be run must be listed in advance advertising and posted in a prominent place at entry desk. .they only listed class change at track and did not put classs change in any advertising prior to the meet.
The reason for advance advertising is so you have time to build a machine for the class . Not give us the notice on fri at practice,the best builders in the biz could not build a 70 from scratch less than 24 hours from the race and be competitive.
They actually didn't change the class officially in advertising until the 3rd round??????????
Sorry this is a very sore subject!!! Rules are rules.unless you know someone up top ain't that right Stan!

Logan #34's Dad
01-12-2011, 05:44 AM
So will the 70's be allowed to race in the 90 class?

bignasty
01-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Rocky, my opinion, they probably wont let them, which is stupid because of "1 cc" in engine displacement. It that really an advantage of running a 70 against the 90? I think if anything it should be the other way around. 20cc verus 1cc do the math. Is there an advatange in running a 90cc 2 fast vs a 86cc 2fast? Not really in my opinion so why is it a big deal with the 70's????

Logan #34's Dad
01-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Your about to open up a big can of worms though. :devil: . I was called a cheater by one of the "best" engine builders in this business for running my 68cc in the 90 Auto class. (beating his expensive 90) One thing i've learned from that is: Nobody cares what you run until you beat them.

raidernut
01-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Well your 68cc motor was hooked up to a camelback containing nitrous, so ya you were cheating rocky.:blah:

bignasty
01-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Man this is getting heavy. Better bust out the popcorn. :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

bignasty
01-12-2011, 10:07 AM
So, are we gonna get protested for running our 70 in the sport class Mark? Tommy is too busy to ship my 90 engine and don't know if I'm gonna get here on time? Besides if memory serves me right "ALOT" of kids last year ran their 70's in the sport class.;) ;)

raidernut
01-12-2011, 10:18 AM
It depends on what place you get Dale, ill let you know when the results are posted:eek:

bignasty
01-12-2011, 11:10 AM
lmao Mark!!! See you guys next week!!:) ;) :) ;) :)

TTracer#22
01-12-2011, 03:07 PM
I think I'll bring a grand incase I need to protest a few bikes to get on the podium. :D

bignasty
01-12-2011, 04:23 PM
How you been Briant? Hadn't heard from you in a while. :) :)

TTracer#22
01-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Doing better now I had shoulder surgery in November so I was off work till yesterday :-) the bad thing is Brock had to learn to put his bike together. It will be close but I think we will be ready. How have you guys been? How's my little buddy Chris doing?

bignasty
01-13-2011, 06:50 AM
He's doing good got him involved with the jr wrestling league here in Espanola. Sorry to hear about your shoulder. We are in the same boat over here. Got one bike pretty much ready to go, the other I have in pieces getting the frame powdercoated and waiting on the engine. Say hi to the family and we'll see u guys next week.:)

riding4fun
01-13-2011, 07:36 AM
You guys are killing me. See you at Primm.