PDA

View Full Version : SJO Race in Muskegon - 8-28-10

magos
08-30-2010, 01:25 PM
Wow, my son and I had our first race this past saturday and can I just say that I'm hooked. My boy was a bit nervous but finished all his races and didn't crash once on the 2nd heat. I think he may want to switch to a quad so I'll be looking around for one in the next couple/few months.

I learned a ton! First thing was that a 250 has no place in a race with 450's. I tried my best to keep up and ALMOST did except when there was a straight shot. I was proud to have made some nice jumps (on stock 400ex shocks) and didn't die. The whoops were brutal though :(

Anyhow, I finished last but never crashed and had a blast! Momma has already given me the go to get a 450r in the spring so I can hang...

quadscrib
08-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Well brother the addiction/disease has begun. Its best treated with long fast rides and big air.
I think if you come to the Portland Trail rides race on the 12Th you sons head will spin when he sees all of the various minis.
We had such an awesome weekend at Bay that Im even more pumped about the sport!
Theres some scores to be settled right at our final round that weekend so this is gonna rock!
BTW you might find someones ready to go racer for sale this fall as well.

magos
08-31-2010, 08:03 PM
Yeah, this is going to cut into my Harley time...I just know it!

I need to find a buyer for my 250x so I can get a big boy bike. Gotta create some fundage first :) Momma gave me the go - now I just need the dough!

quadscrib
08-31-2010, 08:21 PM
Well I would get that quad to PTR the race weekend and we have a spot you can chain it up and put it out for sale.
Some classes race them or build "90 Mods" out of them (85cc dirtbike motors in quad chassis). With the parts youve already out on it Im sure it will sell. Id be more than happy for you to drop it off to me at the track the friday before the races.
If you had that much fun w/ the 250 w/ 400ex shocks you wouldnt beleive what a 450 w/ good overall suspension does.
Anyways I dont know your history so you may know all of this.
BTW the bulldozer @ bay said Belanger excavation or someting like that on it I noticed..popular name all of a sudden?

magos
09-01-2010, 06:08 AM
I can try that but I have an issue...there is a race on Sunday, the 12th that I can enter *or* I can watch the race at PTR...I want to do both, but can't. The race is a day race (practice at 3p and race at 5p) so I'm torn. There are only 3 more races this year that we can run in. Hmmm, choices, choices.

Not sure on the dozer - wishing I knew them cause I sure could use a dozer at my place for a few things!

Do you guys have any rides on this Monday?

kimv
09-01-2010, 07:38 AM
Hi-
I really think you would have alot more fun racing at PTR on the 12th! The tracks are awesome! Im assuming your son would ride the little track which is alot of fun for the kids! There are no steep jumps like at the SJO races. Then you would get to see all the mini quads in action also..there should be alot of them!

magos
09-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Is it an AMA Sanctioned event? If so, I don't have an AMA membership yet. If not, what do I need to do to race?

Finally, do I need to be a member of anything to participate?

kimv
09-01-2010, 07:51 AM
Yeah you would need an AMA membership($39 or $40) and a D14 membership($15), you can sign up for both right at PTR. I know the AMA one would be good through next Sept. not sure on the D14 one though.

magos
09-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Hmm - I may just do that. We'll see.

blholtz
09-01-2010, 07:03 PM
You can ride the 250x in the Utility class at Portland on the 12th, just thought I would throw that out there.

quadscrib
09-01-2010, 07:14 PM
You sure Brendan? I think a 250x is a manual 5 speed unlike a 250ex auto clutch or "sport clutch"... I may be wrong but dont think so.

blholtz
09-01-2010, 09:07 PM
not a 100% sure, but I thought all honda 250's were auto clutch with the newer ones having a manual "option"

Magos if you have a auto clutch you can ride it at Portland in the Utility class.

Realistically you "could " run it in any class, whether you would be competitive is another story. But I think you mihgt like gp style mx better than SJO tracks.

magos
09-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Really? I'd be riding with utility quads?

quadscrib
09-02-2010, 06:11 AM
Not if your quad is a manual which a 250x is.....correct? If so no you cant ride that class. In all realityu you can ride ANY skill level class and age class depending on your age (16-24), 25 plus, 30 plus, 40 plus, etc.....
Utility class is only for Auto and/or "auto clutch" quads.

magos
09-02-2010, 06:14 AM
Ah, that makes more sense. I can't see me out there with Utility quads - this machine of mine is pure race just not as fast as the 450's, etc.

bbender85
09-13-2010, 10:12 AM
i got one SJO race in this year, opening round at muskegon before i broke both of my arms (not racing SJO lol). was planning on doing a good number this year but didn't pan out that way unfortunately.

there are two rounds left, this coming sat and sun at muskegon i thought about doing, but i think i'm just going to wait until spring and try'r again.

magos
09-13-2010, 10:15 AM
The muskegon track was really nice - I liked it. I think I'll run AMA D14 next year but I may do an SJO here and there. First, I have to get a new quad and get used to it. Should be fun.

Are you all healed up now?

bbender85
09-13-2010, 03:13 PM
yep, good to go. got one good day of riding in on them so far and they felt great.

magos
09-13-2010, 03:27 PM
So, are you going to ride this weekend in Muskegon?

bbender85
09-14-2010, 09:40 AM
i dunno... entertaining the idea of maybe running sunday. not sure yet.

you must be nigel?

magos
09-14-2010, 10:00 AM
Yes, that I am. I don't think I'll be able to make it. Planning on picking up a 450 on Friday but need time to get used to it and go thru it before I race.

bbender85
09-14-2010, 10:14 AM
probably a smart idea! haha that 450 could run away from you in the whoop section. :D

magos
09-14-2010, 10:18 AM
Ha! Yes it could! My 250x was a bear because of the 400ex shocks - they aren't forgiving at all but atleast the one I'm getting has good shocks! I'll practice on my home track a bit Friday and see how it rides - I'll be like a kid in a candy store!

bbender85
09-14-2010, 10:24 AM
yeah you sure will. i got on my LTR from a moderately-built 400ex and it didn't even compare.

you going honda again?

magos
09-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Yep - an 05 trx 450r with a good setup in on the radar. After I get used to it, I'll mod the engine a bit over the winter so I can get used to it all over again in the spring. I may just do a 12:1 build so the engine will last longer. I can't see the 14:1 build with the engine holding up longer than a race or two. What setup are you running - the quad looks great!

bbender85
09-14-2010, 12:44 PM
basically stock, minus a few handling goodies and eye candy. since it's already mx width i am sticking with the stock axle and putting fox floats on the stock arms this winter. keeping the motor internally stock until it needs a rebuild... i'll sacrifice a few ponies for dependability too. so power-wise i'll be running bolt-ons only (already have an intake and the "cork" out of the stock pipe, and the factory-installed race fuel map unlocked.. might do a full pipe and programmer this winter too, likely not tho).

magos
09-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Well, it's doubtful I'll be there, but if I do show, maybe I'll see you there. Got a busy day on Saturday. Sure would be fun to run though!

bbender85
09-19-2010, 08:09 PM
well i ended up going today. what a horrible failure, lol.

i got work to do for next year.

magos
09-20-2010, 05:41 AM
Yeah? Did you finish ok? Any damage to you or the quad?

What class did you run in?

bbender85
09-20-2010, 07:45 AM
decided to run novice, since there were three guys in the advance class that were very close in points.. wanted to stay out of their way, and i figured everyone had four months of racing under their belt for the summer and this was essentially my first.

anyways, i dumped the clutch off the gate first moto and stalled it. caught back up, made a pass, was going for another in the final corner and the quad cut out and wouldn't start back up. DNF.

second moto i got another bad start, but was still with the pack. started moving up again, but the 180* turn in the middle of the track was getting the best of me; i don't have the muscle stamina back in my left hand/arm yet, so i stalled twice in that corner due to not being able to hold the clutch in far enough to feather thru it. dirt was super sticky and i was running 3psi in my rear tires, so i had no spinning going on.

oh well. felt great to be back out there, and i know what i need to work on for next year.

:cool:

magos
09-20-2010, 07:49 AM
Hey, no biggie - you ran it and sounds like you had some fun! That's all that matters. I ran and took dead last but it was a good time and a great experience. Now next year will be a little more serious for me cause I'll have some practice under my belt. I'm excited for it to start!

bbender85
09-20-2010, 10:06 AM
same here.

you end up picking up that 450 then?

magos
09-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Yes and HOLY CRAP is this thing fast. I took it to Portland yesterday to practice - lots of fun, but I need to tune it more, adjust more and get more saddle time. It's a whole other ball game here - can't even compare it to the 250x.