PDA

View Full Version : swing arm bearings

rap169
02-05-2003, 06:31 PM
im gonna be doing a complete tear down on my 250X soon. I have been buying al the parts i need a little at a time so that when i get ready, i dont need to go out and order parts. I have all the bearings needed except for the swing arm. Does anybody have a bearing # for these so i can purchase them in advance. I know the dealer can order the right ones, but there is a local bearing shop that sells me the bearings and seals alot cheaper than any dealer or internet price. so i need # for swingarm bearings, and is there any seals? if so i need that # too.
Thanks

trx400ex
02-05-2003, 07:11 PM
52144-KA3-731 CAP, DUST SEAL 1 $8.93 $6.78 ((((((((2))))))))

52142-HN1-000 COLLAR B 1 $11.20 $8.50

52141-HN1-000 COLR, SWINGARM PIVOT 1 $8.91 $6.76

52109-KA4-701 BUSH, PIVOT THRUST 1 $9.82 $7.45 ((((((2))))))

91253-KA4-701 DUST SEAL 1 $7.44 $5.64 ((((2))))

91254-KS6-003 DUST SEAL 1 $5.64 $4.28 (((((2))))

This is what ive just orderd you need 2 of the ((((2))) it is like 70 bucks the 2nd price is what i got it for this doesnt include the bearings and the collars i dont know if you need

rap169
02-05-2003, 07:31 PM
is that for a 400? mine is a 250 or a 300. YA i am gonna replace everything while its apart, i dont want to take it apart later because i was too cheap to replace it the first time.

02-06-2003, 05:03 AM
Some of the needle bearings are not normal industrial sizes and the bearing house may not have them. There are a few of them that do some work in our sport and may have more info on the needle bearings.

jgray
02-06-2003, 06:22 AM
I just bought a Pivot Works swingarm bearing kit. the number on the bearing is H-BF-002. They should be able to use that number. The bearing dimensions are as follows:
26.5mm OD (outside diameter)
20mm ID (inside diameter)
30mm Wide

Good luck !!!
Jason.

rap169
02-06-2003, 05:42 PM
thanks for the info, is there a seal with that pivot works kit?

jgray
02-10-2003, 05:14 AM
Yes there is a seal... There are actually 2 seals, 2 bearings, 2 steel bushings, and the axle.

02-10-2003, 10:35 AM
Just curious what prison in China those parts were made in? :huh :confused: :rolleyes: :devil

I wonder how much price difference there would have been to get the higher quality OEM or equal parts? Then you could compare the difference in dollars between what the rebuild would cost and what your arse is worth.

Personally I wouldnt put my safety on chinese bearings or Pivot works products.

Both these sources are more concerned with quantity and profit than quality.

jgray
02-10-2003, 10:59 AM
Where do you suggest you get bearings then ???

02-10-2003, 06:33 PM
good question.

Honda is a good source but is many times over priced. You will get what was used when they built it so the bearings will be at least as good as the originals.

You could try to ask the local and mail order (and dont forget C&D) people what brand or where the bearings came from etc as not everyone in the business sells only chinese bearings.

There are industrial bearing distributers all over the country (check the yellow pages) who could help with most sizes and would also be able to tell you the brand name and what country etc. They should be priced below the OEM dealer or they are taking advantage of you.

Some sizes will be a problem for the bearing people as some bearings are exclusive and proprietary to the MFG (ex. Honda, suzuki etc) and for these you would actually be better off going to the dealer. The dealer will charge more than the cheap chinese stuff most of the time but its well worth it.

The problem with the chinese manufactured bearings is that the steel is not of the same quality and the hardening process is also not up to the same standard as some of the other countries. They have many more problems with QC and due to the need for the chinese govt to "move product" they tend to let many parts leave the factory for export even though they are not up to spec and then they just price them much lower to the buyer. Problem is that your not going to see that savings and dont want the bad ones anyway.

I know the people who supply the majority of the low end bearings to our industry (most of the guys in the atv mags etc) and they try to get the higher quality chinese product (some are worse than others, much worse), but in the end its still all about the dollar. Thing is that they also can supply the higher quality products from europe and Japan etc but not many of the dealers or mail order we buy from are willing to buy them over the lower priced stuff.

Just an idea on why the shops and mail order push the chinese product is that when the bearings are first brought into the country the price comparison on a same size bearing is like .10 v/s 5.00.

sorry for the book and thats just a brief explanation.

j37
02-10-2003, 09:16 PM
I recently put bearings in a 250x's swingarm and let me tell you its not easy if you do it yourself. What I did was got the needles and cage or whatever out and took a dremel and grinded down the outside of the bearing from the inside of it where the needles and cage lay and when it was thin enough I stuck a screwdriver under the thin part and just pryed it up until the out side of the bearing split in half and I was able to take it out. Then I just sanded the inside of the swingarm to get rid of any grooves or scratches and put the Pivot Works bearing kit in it. Id say go with the Pivot Works kit it seems to be pretty good.

Good luck!